Archived Topic

Haws evaluation

by mizzoucoug · 11/29/2012

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I am very impressed that we have a budding star who is so closely removed from his mission--some actually do come back more athletic and better at some sports. I know I did in some ways.



Being that he is only a sophomore I am excited to see if he is able to expand his game going forward.



He has a great mid-range jumper and a decent, soft 3 point shot that we cannot count on yet. He tends to settle into the midrange game with his back to the basket. Awesome, we'll take it. (Incidentally, this is something Jimmer should have developed while at BYU but never did.) He also seems to play good D and moves without the ball very well.



However, he doesn't have the quicks to take anybody off the dribble. This will need to change if he wants to create space as teams begin to key on him. Can quicks be taught? :sick:



At this point in his career Haws is more of a plus player than Jimmer or Cummard were (maybe because we have less depth so he has to play and contribute more than they did). I don't think Cummard got a whole lot better over the next 2 years whereas Jimmer became a player that surprised you if he missed or had a turnover. My hope is that Haws develops his penetration and 3 point game to become the type of all-around player that we are going to need to complement an otherwise slow, stand-around lineup.
C
Cougs_Rule
Good points overall. I think his vertical/legs will improve modestly. HIs game is what it is. I never thought he liked contact his freshman year, but who could blame him being a freshman and having taken that huge blow to the head. But as he bulks up a little, he will add going to the hole OT his game. He already can fairly well, but doesn't have to. So why take the beating.

Regardless, if he doesn't get injured, we can count on him, like Noah, for at least 20 ppg average for the next three years. And maybe more. I will take that Anyday.
I
IowaCougar
Haws penetration/dribbling issues seem to manifest themselves later in the games when he's obviously tired. The turnovers also seem to be when he loses control of his dribble enough to let the defender get his hands in.



I think this is a practice/coordination issue that will definitely improve throughout this year and the next two.



My experience coming back from my mission was that it took a while to get my physical coordination back, but it came back better than before my mission. What didn't come back as strong was my competitive nature and confidence. For some reason, I could just never get that "cockiness" back that I needed to be more successful on a national level. I could do anything in practice, but when it came to competing in front of the judges, I didn't have that mental toughness that I had as a freshman.
G
Guest
Tyler Haws came back from his mission grown, of course, but he also spent 9 hours a day, 6 days a week, in the gym working out since he got back in April.



Very few Return Missionaries have the opportunity or the work ethic to do that.
G
Gunk
Haws is a stud and is contributing much more than I thought he would this season.



Given his work ethic and determination I am not too concerned. Hopefully he doesn't get a serious girlfriend.



Biggest area of improvement at this stage would be his ball handling. Good news is that's something he can practice and improve upon. In the mean time, he'll need to be a bit more careful.



I absolutely love his mid range game. It's such an under appreciated art in hoops these days.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Oh yeah ball handling. That is a problem. Someone needs to teach him to bend over a little more cuz he almost looks like Zylstra when he brings the ball up the court. Yikes.
Q
Qman
mizzoucoug wrote:
Oh yeah ball handling. That is a problem. Someone needs to teach him to bend over a little more cuz he almost looks like Zylstra when he brings the ball up the court. Yikes.


Haws and Carlino can do the drills together.
E
EM_Puma
Gunk wrote:
Hopefully he doesn't get a serious girlfriend.[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Isn't that the truth. I haven't seen female interaction enhance any athlete yet at BYU. it seems more to tame them than anything. We'll have to have Jimmer come back here and there and talk to the team about what is most important. They can always wait until their athletic careers to get over. I mean, we're paying their scholarships after all ;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.