Archived Topic

Still a NO

by Cougarpoke · 11/27/2012

Advertisement
P
Phatgreen
Good. I wouldn't expect BYU to make a jump at the Big East, not with recent developments at least. Power conference or independence; those are the only options.
G
Guest
I'm so surprised we turned down Conference USA, err, I mean the Big Least.
C
Cougarbib
Why take 1 of the Top 3 Big East-East teams when you could take all 3? If I were running the ACC, understanding that the SEC or Big 12 could likely poach whomever they want, I would grab all 3 teams rumored to be in the running to replace Maryland in anticipation of future poaching by SEC, Big 12, or even Big 10.



Take all 3, then hold on for dear life. That is what I would do. That should further result in SDSU and BSU staying WEST where they belong and breathe a little life back into The MWC. Then Big East could poach whatever it wants from C-USA, MAC, and Sunbelt.



Then flush a few more leftovers into Independence or a lower division conference.



Then BYU can sit back and hope PAC or Big 12 decide they need to up their membership to hold serve. Those debates must certainly be taking place.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
As Jarom Jordan tweeted (can I quote that legally) I'm so glad that TH is avoiding that "dumpster fire" called the Big East.



Stay Indy or go back to MWC with TV rights. Take a look at Utah for what a future would look like in the Big 12 or PAC 12.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
It will simply be nice one day when all of this comotion ceases and we go a few years with no conference changes. The WAC disappeared from FB and the BE is becoming a cross breed of mongruls. I still have the inkling to be in a conference, but it seems that we need to bide the times.



GW Tweet: "BYU administrator told me very recently that 'we are where we need to be right now.' The 'right now' element is fluid, but things are solid."



It's like being a kid and riding through the mountains with your mother driving and you can't see much over the dashboard, but you just hope you get to where you're going in one piece.
F
frdbtr
Cougs_Rule wrote:
As Jarom Jordan tweeted (can I quote that legally) I'm so glad that TH is avoiding that "dumpster fire" called the Big East.



Stay Indy or go back to MWC with TV rights. Take a look at Utah for what a future would look like in the Big 12 or PAC 12.


utah is struggling in the pac12, and BYU might also take a few years to get used to playing a big 12 schedule but I still think that is the best place for them in the long run. Frankly, BYU's sched this year was every bit as difficult as utah's was in the pac 12 and we ended up with a winning record and a bowl game, playing a QB that should have probably been in the hospital instead of on the field on multiple occasions.
C
Cougs_Rule
Except we got beat by Utah this year and have for the past three. I'm not sure we would have a different record this year than Utah if in the PAC--not just bc we lost to Utah. I suppose somebody stats oriented could look at records of PAC teams and conjecture how we would do. But I would venture to say that BYU would have done worse in the Big 12 than the PAC.

But it's not just "getting used to playing a Big 12 schedule", as though getting "acclimated" would be the root cause. BYU does not have the depth nor the athletes to compete in the Big 12, except for those few years that we do, like 84, 96, 06, 09, (maybe), etc. look at TCU struggling and they have been kicking BYUs fannies over last eight years. Next year schedule is more like being in the Big 12.
F
frdbtr
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Except we got beat by Utah this year and have for the past three. I'm not sure we would have a different record this year than Utah if in the PAC--not just bc we lost to Utah. I suppose somebody stats oriented could look at records of PAC teams and conjecture how we would do. But I would venture to say that BYU would have done worse in the Big 12 than the PAC.

But it's not just "getting used to playing a Big 12 schedule", as though getting "acclimated" would be the root cause. BYU does not have the depth nor the athletes to compete in the Big 12, except for those few years that we do, like 84, 96, 06, 09, (maybe), etc. look at TCU struggling and they have been kicking BYUs fannies over last eight years. Next year schedule is more like being in the Big 12.


Those TCU teams that "Kicked our fannies" would have won the big 12. Dalton was/is the real deal and their defense was better than this years. When I say BYU would take some time "getting used to the big12", I am talking about upgrading our recruting along with getting used to the increased sched strength.



As far as utah beating us. utah plays its best game of the year against us every year. Until BYU fans, coaches, and players all get used to that idea, we are going to continue to struggle against them.
Y
YNot
With Louisville's announced exit to the ACC, BYU is definitely out of the Big East picture now. Enter ECU and Tulane. Gag.



With Louisville moving to the ACC, I think BYU definitely moved up the Big 12's list, should they choose to expand at some point.



For now, it's time to embrace independence. I actually have liked it from the beginning.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
Except we got beat by Utah this year and have for the past three. I'm not sure we would have a different record this year than Utah if in the PAC--not just bc we lost to Utah. I suppose somebody stats oriented could look at records of PAC teams and conjecture how we would do. But I would venture to say that BYU would have done worse in the Big 12 than the PAC.

But it's not just "getting used to playing a Big 12 schedule", as though getting "acclimated" would be the root cause. BYU does not have the depth nor the athletes to compete in the Big 12, except for those few years that we do, like 84, 96, 06, 09, (maybe), etc. look at TCU struggling and they have been kicking BYUs fannies over last eight years. Next year schedule is more like being in the Big 12.


Those TCU teams that "Kicked our fannies" would have won the big 12. Dalton was/is the real deal and their defense was better than this years. When I say BYU would take some time "getting used to the big12", I am talking about upgrading our recruting along with getting used to the increased sched strength.



As far as utah beating us. utah plays its best game of the year against us every year. Until BYU fans, coaches, and players all get used to that idea, we are going to continue to struggle against them.


BYU already gets the bulk of the best LDS athletes. Not all, but the bulk. Where are you planning to "upgrade" BYUs recruiting? Maybe BYU can pick up a few more Jamal Wlliams' or KVNs' but not going to get enough to compete in the Big 12. Just bc we join IT, doesn't mean, they will come.

But i Thoroughly agree about your Utah comment. It is not just anther game and I am sick of that mantra from Bronco. Bt as long as he continues to take that approach, Utah will gather the majority of the wins.
C
Cougarbib
YNot wrote:
With Louisville's announced exit to the ACC, BYU is definitely out of the Big East picture now. Enter ECU and Tulane. Gag.



With Louisville moving to the ACC, I think BYU definitely moved up the Big 12's list, should they choose to expand at some point.



For now, it's time to embrace independence. I actually have liked it from the beginning.


Just because Louisville or anyone else Big 12 wants might be in the ACC, does not mean The Big 12 will not still go after them. The ACC is vulnerable to SEC, Big 10, or Big 12 should they come knocking on an ACC member's door. This may be more of an indication that The Big 12 still wants to stay at 10 - just for Big 12 Big 10 confusion if not to avoid the NC risk of playing a conference championship game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.