Archived Topic

How much of larks success...

by CougarClaw · 11/25/2012

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Was due to

A) a simplified offense executed exceptionally well,

B) nmst leaving our WRs open all day to stop the run,

C) nmst not having much film on lark or just having a lousy defense

D) lark proving he's an exceptional QB



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Yes.
F
fifthqb
A - 10%

B - 15%

C - 5%

D - 70%
C
Cougarbib
CougarClaw wrote:
Was due to

A) a simplified offense executed exceptionally well,

B) nmst leaving our WRs open all day to stop the run,

C) nmst not having much film on lark or just having a lousy defense

D) lark proving he's an exceptional QB



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Why put an asterisk by it. Let it go. Let him enjoy it. Let him tell his grandkids about it. It could not have happened to a nicer and more deserving guy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Clearly this performance needs an asterisk.



;)
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
Cougarbib wrote:
Was due to

A) a simplified offense executed exceptionally well,

B) nmst leaving our WRs open all day to stop the run,

C) nmst not having much film on lark or just having a lousy defense

D) lark proving he's an exceptional QB



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Why put an asterisk by it. Let it go. Let him enjoy it. Let him tell his grandkids about it. It could not have happened to a nicer and more deserving guy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




+1



We can drive ourselves crazy postulating what might have been, but it doesn't matter. I just couldn't be happier that Lark finally got his shot and made the most of it. That's something no one can ever take away from him
M
mtnradio
Congratulations to Lark.



He demonstrated that he is a great player and a better man. Here's hoping that the future holds great things for him!
S
Schmoe
How much of Lark's success is due to lack of apostrophes and capitalization?
C
CougarClaw
Schmoe wrote:
How much of Lark's success is due to lack of apostrophes and capitalization?


do you mean "due to *a* lack of..."?



come on now. If you're going to play grammar police....
C
CougarClaw
Cougarbib wrote:



Why put an asterisk by it. Let it go. Let him enjoy it. Let him tell his grandkids about it. It could not have happened to a nicer and more deserving guy.




Oh I think Lark deserves it 100% and I don't think it deserves some kind of asterisk. not at all. My point was more who gets to play the Bowl game. Rumorboard seems ready to crown james Tiberius Lark as Grand Maven and BYU head coach because of a single game. Perhaps he does deserve to play, or better said, Nelson deserves *not* to play.



But do you really think the one-read, vanilla offense we saw on Saturday is going to get it done against a significantly better defense in a bowl game? Now that I type that, knowing that Nelson turnovers will likely grant the opposition 7-10 points a game...perhaps Lark's vanilla does get it done.



I just remember Lark having a number of 3 and outs in his limited action this season. I remember him running for his life from our swiss cheese offensive line and I remember him looking like he couldn't run the offense. Saturday's fireworks remain a vivid counterpoint to my impressions earlier in the season, but I remember thinking Lark deserved to be 3rd string. Is all that gone now? Did we see an aberration on Saturday or the real thing?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I think we saw a very bad defense take what little resistance it could muster and throw all of it at stopping the run leaving receivers wide open everywhere. Lark capitalized. I think we should just let him enjoy it even though some will try to make more of it than that and then we try to balance that with a little reality - and tarnish a great dream come true experience for James Lark. James, like Healthy Riley, can make the throws when receivers are wide open most of the time. Under heavy pressure - Nelson has more ability to find who is open when only one is barely open and better escapability.



If Riley is not healthy - I want to see Lark. If Riley is marginally healthy - I want to see Lark with Nelson on call if needed - like vs NMSU. If Riley can't play and Lark goes down - OUCH.



THIS has been the problem for a long time. Lark should have been developed starting in 2010. Hill Wildcat. Munns or Kuresa or Olsen - 3rd string mop-up. Three deep.



Now we are at least 2 deep. We started the season 1 deep with a fragile QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
I am happy for Lark. Happy that he always kept himself ready despite never getting a shot and happy that once he did even though it was against new mexico state he came out and played well. Happy he at least got one game to start.



Lark is a stud.



Just to throw my opinion out there. Lark would have been better than Nelson had we gone with him. that is not saying much about lark though because riley is considered statistically one of the worst in all of ncaa d1 football unfortunately.
S
scott715
A no turnover offense would have won a couple more games this year. It took JT some time before he found his grove. That probably would be true against better competion.
S
Schmoe
CougarClaw wrote:
How much of Lark's success is due to lack of apostrophes and capitalization?


do you mean "due to *a* lack of..."?



come on now. If you're going to play grammar police....


My bad. It actually should have read "due to THE lack of..."
B
bigbluepuma
The past BYU greats have had most of thier big games against inferior teams, and with a real o-line, plus they had been playing regularly, not playing their first actual game in roughly three millennia, and not seeing their first action ever with the ones. I have waited sinse he was in HS to see him get a chance to play (not with his hands tied, in mop up time), and I hate to see it diminished by questioning wheather he could actually play in a real game. I am thrilled to see him have a great game and hope to see him play again in the bowl game.



I have nothing against Riley either, but have always wished for Lark to have a chance. My feeling three years ago was that Riley would be best used as a wild cat, and in different capacities that would put him on the field with Lark to add a dimention for the defense to have to deal with. I also felt that Heaps should red shirt his freshman year to prepare him for his time, rather than being thrown in too early and mess up his career. I believe that my posts from back then reflected that sentiment.



I am grateful that this fine young man came to BYU, grateful that he stayed, and grateful that he got a chance to play before his career ended. I hope that it doesn't end with an asterisk in anybodies mind.
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
Byu has played a ton of pansies since becoming an Independent. Should we then put an asterisk next to EVERY good game RN had?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.