Archived Topic

Would You Rather...

by Italics · 11/20/2009

Advertisement
I
Italics
1) Win out, and then play USC in the Las Vegas Bowl



or,



2) Win out, have the :utard: go to the LV Bowl, and play Boise St. in the Poinsettia Bowl?





Tough decision. For me, it would probably depend on whether or not we were playing an undefeated BSU or a one-loss BSU.

If BSU had one loss, no question - I'd take the LV Bowl.



HOWEVER, if BSU was undefeated, all their fans would be whining and crying about how they were #1 and how they got robbed out of a BCS game.... and so it would be pretty funny, after all their trash talk and whining, to beat them, proving how horribly overrated they are this year, and making them all feel like idiots. It would also make us look a lot better than a win over this year's USC (IMO).
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Would I rather Golf Pebble Beach or Dive the Indonesian Sulawesi Trench Wall?



Not like I'd turn down either! As long as we're dreaming, though, and we can dream up a guaranteed win, it'd be nice to say we've beaten USC. As it's scheduled now, we're gonna have 4 wins over Boise State in 4 years at the end of the 2015 season... :evil:



Oh, and for anyone curious, it'd be the Sulawesi Trench in a HEARTBEAT.
W
westidahocougar
I think you were referring to who we would rather get beat by in our bowl game....



Here is my list of teams I would most want to lose to in order of real possibility:



1) USC

2) Stanford

3) Oregon

4) Arizona... :sick:

5) Boise State

6) Nevada

7) Fresno

8) Idaho



I have a suspicion that there is a good chance we will be playing a WAC team come bowl time, and we better get things figured out fast...I dont know if I could handle losing to a WAC team.....



I say losing because I am trying to be very negative and jinx our team into winning :D
P
ProV1
If we win out we play in the Vegas bowl, regardless of what Thompson says. The bowl is looking out for the bowl and "in these tough economic times" BYU is a much bigger draw than Utah and a guarantee to sell it out. If you've got first pick who cares about "Vegas fatigue", you want a sell out and a good game. We'll probably play Arizona again.
F
FragOut
This is a tough one for me. I would have to go with option #1.



Even though I think BSU is the better team, beating USC always looks better on the resume. 8)



But not to diminish how sweet it would be to pop BSU's balloon while they are riding high :evil: :evil:
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Yeah, we play BSU for what, the next four years in a row? As much as it would boost us this year to beat an undefeated BSU, it would be way more fun to play USC in the bowl game.
S
snoscythe
Kate Beckinsale.



Oh, wait, that's not what the thread is about. Sorry. USC all the way. Bigger name, and more likely to win that game this year. Nothing BYU has shown me this season makes me think BSU won't score 50. OU turned out to be a paper tiger, and the two decently balanced teams we have played thus far have pummeled us.
M
mormonrasta
Neither option is all that realistic.



USC will have to lose to both UCLA and Arizona and even if they do that they will likely finish in a tie for 4th in the Pac-10 which means the Emerald will likely select them.



The Pac-10 will be able to fill their bowl slots. The only question is whether they get 2 teams in the BCS. Think the Orange Bowl wants Stanford? Neither do I. Six bowl eligible teams with only 1 team in the BCS means no Poinsettia Bowl for BSU.



That being said we might as well play USC in the Vegas Bowl as BSU will kill BYU.
M
Mars
westidahocougar wrote:
I have a suspicion that there is a good chance we will be playing a WAC team come bowl time

Las Vegas and San Diego = PAC-10
I
Italics
mormonrasta wrote:



That being said we might as well play USC in the Vegas Bowl as BSU will kill BYU.


Based of what?



Them beating UC Davis? Louisiana Tech? Idaho? New Mexico State? All the other tough games on their schedule?



Not saying BSU couldn't beat us, but I'm not exactly sure what brings you to the certain conclusion that they'd "Kill" us.

Do you realy think BSU would beat FSU or TCU? I highly doubt it.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Italics wrote:



That being said we might as well play USC in the Vegas Bowl as BSU will kill BYU.


Based of what?



Them beating UC Davis? Louisiana Tech? Idaho? New Mexico State? All the other tough games on their schedule?



Not saying BSU couldn't beat us, but I'm not exactly sure what brings you to the certain conclusion that they'd "Kill" us.

Do you realy think BSU would beat FSU or TCU? I highly doubt it.


I doubt they'd lose by 30 though.
M
mormonrasta
Italics wrote:



That being said we might as well play USC in the Vegas Bowl as BSU will kill BYU.


Based of what?



Them beating UC Davis? Louisiana Tech? Idaho? New Mexico State? All the other tough games on their schedule?



Not saying BSU couldn't beat us, but I'm not exactly sure what brings you to the certain conclusion that they'd "Kill" us.

Do you realy think BSU would beat FSU or TCU? I highly doubt it.


Based on BSU's recent track record against legit top 25 teams vs. BYU's recent track record against such competition.
B
BroncoBot
mormonrasta wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:



That being said we might as well play USC in the Vegas Bowl as BSU will kill BYU.


Based of what?



Them beating UC Davis? Louisiana Tech? Idaho? New Mexico State? All the other tough games on their schedule?



Not saying BSU couldn't beat us, but I'm not exactly sure what brings you to the certain conclusion that they'd "Kill" us.

Do you realy think BSU would beat FSU or TCU? I highly doubt it.


Based on BSU's recent track record against legit top 25 teams vs. BYU's recent track record against such competition.

Ouch, did you have to remind us?



BUT... What's BSU's record against top 25 teams in bowl games?

Or what's BSU's record against teams that are ranked top 25 at the end of the season?



Probably still better than BYU's, I'm just wondering if BSU wins when they are playing overhyped teams at the beginning of the year. We all know that they don't play any top 25 teams during the regular season.
M
mormonrasta
declocoug wrote:
Italics wrote:



That being said we might as well play USC in the Vegas Bowl as BSU will kill BYU.


Based of what?



Them beating UC Davis? Louisiana Tech? Idaho? New Mexico State? All the other tough games on their schedule?



Not saying BSU couldn't beat us, but I'm not exactly sure what brings you to the certain conclusion that they'd "Kill" us.

Do you realy think BSU would beat FSU or TCU? I highly doubt it.


Based on BSU's recent track record against legit top 25 teams vs. BYU's recent track record against such competition.

Ouch, did you have to remind us?



BUT... What's BSU's record against top 25 teams in bowl games?

Or what's BSU's record against teams that are ranked top 25 at the end of the season?



Probably still better than BYU's, I'm just wondering if BSU wins when they are playing overhyped teams at the beginning of the year. We all know that they don't play any top 25 teams during the regular season.


That's why I said legit top 25 teams which in my opinion means teams that finished ranked at the end of the year. I couldn't care less what a team is ranked at the time of the game; it is the last poll that is the best reflection of what kind of team you are and what kind of opponents you have played.



If we include the current polls, BYU is 1-8 vs. legit top 25 teams since Bronco took over. The average margin of defeat in those 8 losses is 17 points.



Over the same span BSU is 5-4 (tied for the 5th best winning percentage in the country) with the only blowout loss coming by way of Georgia in 2005.
C
cachevalleycougar
Gotta go with USC. We'll see plenty of BSU in the coming years, and it would be great to say we beat OU and USC in the same year.
Advertisement
Y
Y&Brit
have an enema or catheter?

:bug:
B
BroncoBot
mormonrasta wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:
mormonrasta wrote:



That being said we might as well play USC in the Vegas Bowl as BSU will kill BYU.


Based of what?



Them beating UC Davis? Louisiana Tech? Idaho? New Mexico State? All the other tough games on their schedule?



Not saying BSU couldn't beat us, but I'm not exactly sure what brings you to the certain conclusion that they'd "Kill" us.

Do you realy think BSU would beat FSU or TCU? I highly doubt it.


Based on BSU's recent track record against legit top 25 teams vs. BYU's recent track record against such competition.

Ouch, did you have to remind us?



BUT... What's BSU's record against top 25 teams in bowl games?

Or what's BSU's record against teams that are ranked top 25 at the end of the season?



Probably still better than BYU's, I'm just wondering if BSU wins when they are playing overhyped teams at the beginning of the year. We all know that they don't play any top 25 teams during the regular season.


That's why I said legit top 25 teams which in my opinion means teams that finished ranked at the end of the year. I couldn't care less what a team is ranked at the time of the game; it is the last poll that is the best reflection of what kind of team you are and what kind of opponents you have played.



If we include the current polls, BYU is 1-8 vs. legit top 25 teams since Bronco took over. The average margin of defeat in those 8 losses is 17 points.



Over the same span BSU is 5-4 (tied for the 5th best winning percentage in the country) with the only blowout loss coming by way of Georgia in 2005.

That's about what I figured. Thanks for the stats.
I
Italics
Great, we've all begun to mimic :utard: and bring up the past as a way to ingore the present.



The present reality is: BSU would not beat FSU or TCU, and would be in the bottom half of any BCS conference this season. I'm not talking about the season they won a BCS bowl game, I'm talking about THIS season. BYU's track record? What the hell does that have to do with anything? :sick:
S
snoscythe
Italics wrote:
Great, we've all begun to mimic :utard: and bring up the past as a way to ingore the present.



The present reality is: BSU would not beat FSU or TCU, and would be in the bottom half of any BCS conference this season. I'm not talking about the season they won a BCS bowl game, I'm talking about THIS season. BYU's track record? What the hell does that have to do with anything? :sick:


People are looking for facts/evidence to back up their arguments to make them more persuasive. Something your post here entirely lacks.



Boise State is 4-0 against FBS teams with winning records, winning by an average of 25.25 points per game.

BYU is 1-2 against teams with winning records, winning the one by one point, and losing the others at home by an average of 23.5 points.



That is why, based upon this season, I do not want to face BSU this season. What has BYU done to make you think BSU won't roll them? Anyone will tell you I am the #1 BSU hater, but BYU hasn't shown that they can keep up with winning programs this season.



Chill out a bit and try to engage in debate instead of resorting to righteous indignation when you don't agree with someone's opinion.
I
Italics
Chill out? Maybe you read a bit too much into my comments and need a cool down yourself ;)



Well I challenge you to find where I said that BYU would beat BSU. The fact of the matter is that, at this point in the season, there really isn't much to suggest that either team would have the upper hand. BSU has been consistently good - as where BYU has flip-flopped between great and awful.

Sure, BYU is ranked #22 and BSU is ranked #6... but where would we be at with BSU's schedule this year? What about BSU's with ours?

I'll reserve final judgement on BSU until the Nevada gam e. Nevada's record - unlike Idaho's - is no fluke, they are the real deal this year. All BSU hate aside - I honestly see Nevada taking it to them.

Heck, I won't be surprised if Nevada takes it to BYU next season.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.