Archived Topic

Wrubell tweeting that Lark will start tomorrow

by frdbtr · 11/23/2012

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
This begs the question; if he plays well, do coaches deserve criticism or praise?



IMO, they deserve praise for getting the back up ready to play well.
G
Guest
NMSU is hardly a fair test to say if a guy would have played well against anybody else. I think the coaching staff has already earned their criticism.
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
NMSU is hardly a fair test to say if a guy would have played well against anybody else. I think the coaching staff has already earned their criticism.


My comments are based on people making comments earlier that the coaches don't want to play lark because it would prove they were idiots by insisting on Riley if lark played well.
S
SpiffCoug
I do think players and coaches deserve praise when they play well and criticism when they don't.
F
Fido
I'm apathetic since BYU should win this game no matter which guy QBs. At this point the season is so far a disappointment that a win (even a large one) in the last game doesn't redeem anyone of anything.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
A win is a win. Look at the foolish thread comparing wins vs .500 or better teams. Generally speaking, a .500 team like Michigan from The Big 10 in 1984 will put up a tougher fight than a .500 mid-major. A .500 Big 12 team will usually crisp kick a .500 ACC team. Even that depends on OOC scheduling.



So you better win.



Lark deserves a start. Lark deserves a win. I will celebrate both if they occur. Even if Lark somehow blows this game or wins it solely based on defensive and unlikely special teams - other than punting - heroics, I will say - way to go tiger. Because he is a loyal BYU player. Not as great as once projected - you know - that potential thing. Probably a great guy giving his best shot.



And if Riley truly is done for the season - hopefully this game gets Lark ready to play a pretty tough SDSU team at their place.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
A win is a win. Look at the foolish thread comparing wins vs .500 or better teams. Generally speaking, a .500 team like Michigan from The Big 10 in 1984 will put up a tougher fight than a .500 mid-major. A .500 Big 12 team will usually crisp kick a .500 ACC team. Even that depends on OOC scheduling.



So you better win.



Lark deserves a start. Lark deserves a win. I will celebrate both if they occur. Even if Lark somehow blows this game or wins it solely based on defensive and unlikely special teams - other than punting - heroics, I will say - way to go tiger. Because he is a loyal BYU player. Not as great as once projected - you know - that potential thing. Probably a great guy giving his best shot.



And if Riley truly is done for the season - hopefully this game gets Lark ready to play a pretty tough SDSU team at their place.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
I do think players and coaches deserve praise when they play well and criticism when they don't.


That's absurd!





(TIC)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
If Lark starts - good for him. He's been a solid, dedicated, dependable Coug. Always there & ready to go. Unfortunately, the call didn't come for him as planned. But he hung in there. This speaks volumes about his character.



I'll be cheering for Lark as much as the team. I hope he has a great game.
B
byucougar1
Starting Lark will be a nice gesture to not only show appreciation for his tenure at BYU but also his example to other future QB recruits that don't pan out is that there is more to football than just starting. He has learned valuable life lessons that may not have been achieved than by the process he went through. Good lesson for all of us to learn.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
byucougar1 wrote:
there is more to football than just starting. He has learned valuable life lessons that may not have been achieved than by the process he went through. Good lesson for all of us to learn.


If only the coaches would have helped Riley Nelson learn these life lessons as well.....
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
there is more to football than just starting. He has learned valuable life lessons that may not have been achieved than by the process he went through. Good lesson for all of us to learn.


If only the coaches would have helped Riley Nelson learn these life lessons as well.....


Riley has learned some life lessons. Accomplished quite a bit for a short white guy without a strong arm. Served The Lord. Came to BYU guided by the Spirit. Filled a void as best he could getting little fan approval at the beginning or in the end. Fought through injury and other adversity. Became a leader the entire team supports even through adversity. His back-up loves him like a brother and holds him in high regard. He never quit no matter how tough it got. He stood in and took the heat. He was not a great QB - never claimed to be one. He just filled a void as best he could during a period where three highly touted QB recruits could not do it and a 4th got injured just as he was becoming ready to do it.



The Bibster will make this bold prediction. Riley Nelson will be more successful in LIFE than almost anyone on this board if not everyone on this board.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Cougarbib wrote:

The Bibster will make this bold prediction. Riley Nelson will be more successful in LIFE than almost anyone on this board if not everyone on this board.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Wowzi! That's quite a statement. Considering very few know how successful anyone else really is on this board.

:bug:
C
Cougarbib
Ddawg wrote:

The Bibster will make this bold prediction. Riley Nelson will be more successful in LIFE than almost anyone on this board if not everyone on this board.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Wowzi! That's quite a statement. Considering very few know how successful anyone else really is on this board.

:bug:


That is why I said almost. I heard Mitt Romney was on here. And we have Cornhole too. I did not make that comment casually. Left myself an out - most means more than half, BTW. Almost, is bolder - but not as well defined. So maybe my prediction is a bit conservative.



Riley will find something he has the talent to be the best at and then his leadership, competitiveness, work ethic, grit and determination will make him one of the best at it.



Someone once said that C students rule the world. Then they cite examples of powerful men and women who were C students. And why are these "less bright" people so successful?



People Skills starting with Leadership and relationship building and having a vision and the determination to fight through adversity to achieve it. Take that person and put them in a field where they have talent - they overachieve.



That is the basis for my bold prediction.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Ok - great. But, how are you defining success? Being "successful" is is pretty vague. Sincerely.



I have a good friend - this is no BS. He is worth over $200 million. He is very successful financially. I would not trade places with him. He is going thru his 3rd divorce. His children (all adults in their 40's now) are disgusted with him.



So - exactly how are you defining success? Is earning money the main determining factor, in your opinion? Or just part of the equation?



Don't get me wrong. I am not not disagreeing with your appreciation of, and for Riley Nelson. I respect Riley a lot. I also disagree with all the Riley Nelson detractors that second guess the decisions made by the coaching staff to play Riley during the year. There are always factors we are not privy to. No matter how hooked up and connected we are - we do not have all the "scoop."



I do hope and wish Riley Nelson success. Lots of success. I just think that to make a statement that Riley Nelson will be more successful in life than almost anyone on the board, if not everyone - I think it's over the top. IMHO.



So, how successful do you think I am? In your opinion, am I successful at all? My point is, you don't even know me, or the majority of others on this board.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Ddawg wrote:
Ok - great. But, how are you defining success? Being "successful" is is pretty vague. Sincerely.



I have a good friend - this is no BS. He is worth over $200 million. He is very successful financially. I would not trade places with him. He is going thru his 3rd divorce. His children (all adults in their 40's now) are disgusted with him.



So - exactly how are you defining success? Is earning money the main determining factor, in your opinion? Or just part of the equation?



Don't get me wrong. I am not not disagreeing with your appreciation of, and for Riley Nelson. I respect Riley a lot. I also disagree with all the Riley Nelson detractors that second guess the decisions made by the coaching staff to play Riley during the year. There are always factors we are not privy to. No matter how hooked up and connected we are - we do not have all the "scoop."



I do hope, and with Riley Nelson success. Lots of success. I just think that to make a statement that Riley Nelson will be more successful in life than almost anyone on the board, if not everyone - I think it's over the top. IMHO.



So, how successful do you think I am? In your opinion, am I successful at all? My point is, you don't even know me, or the majority of others on this board.


Money usually is way down the list as a measurement of success. Making a difference at something you have a passion for is usually a good one. He is a member of the right Church. He served a mission. He participates in service activities. His hair and abs will hopefully land him a sweet wife - TIC on that one. He does need to marry the right girl and build a strong family. That part he has yet to achieve. Maybe he needs to throw better passes - pun intended - or become as popular with the ladies as he is with the guys.



Re measuring people I do not know - I take a statistical approach. Normal distribution. No doubt both ends and the middle are represented here in appropriate proportion even though we do not know who is which one.



As for you, based on this post, I am going to guess that you are fairly realistic, objective, and balanced. That has probably served you well.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Just saw confirmation - Lark starts and Nelson will play only if needed.



Go James. Today is your day. Long Waited. Good first shot. Playing with the ones.



Prove you are ready - may need you again soon.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.