Archived Topic

Nick Howell the next DC?

by KingCoug · 11/22/2012

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Interesting. After Weber, Howell would be the next to get the ax, if I were calling the shots.
S
SpiffCoug
Hopefully this will free up Bronco to imprint his philosophy and personality on the offense. Something that has been sorely missing for almost all of his tenure at BYU.
H
HoosierCougar
Didn't Bronco trust Hill also? What makes this different/better/special?



I want to understand the succession plan. I want to understand why Bronco and TH believe it will work.
K
KingCoug
SpiffCoug wrote:
Hopefully this will free up Bronco to imprint his philosophy and personality on the offense. Something that has been sorely missing for almost all of his tenure at BYU.


Except Bronco has repeatedly said he doesn't have a mind for offense. So, other than just cracking down in terms of toughness, I don't know what he could do scheme-wise.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
KingCoug wrote:
Hopefully this will free up Bronco to imprint his philosophy and personality on the offense. Something that has been sorely missing for almost all of his tenure at BYU.


Except Bronco has repeatedly said he doesn't have a mind for offense. So, other than just cracking down in terms of toughness, I don't know what he could do scheme-wise.

I think the scheme is fine. The offense needs toughness. It needs to understand turnover margin. It needs a mindset change more than an Xs & Os change.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Hopefully this will free up Bronco to imprint his philosophy and personality on the offense. Something that has been sorely missing for almost all of his tenure at BYU.


Except Bronco has repeatedly said he doesn't have a mind for offense. So, other than just cracking down in terms of toughness, I don't know what he could do scheme-wise.

I think the scheme is fine. The offense needs toughness. It needs to understand turnover margin. It needs a mindset change more than an Xs & Os change.


Ironically, the defense needs to understand turnover margin. If there was a weakness to this defense, besides not always playing 4 quarters, it was its inability to create turnovers.



Also ironically, Howell would be the 2nd guy fired for someone posting previously even though our secondary is playing better than most years in BYU history. Why? Gosh they are not perfect. He has not been able to get white guys and Polynesians to play with the speed and athleticism of elite African American athletes. Fire him. Right Now. We will never win that NC we are entitled to win with him.



LOL.



BTW - I have no idea how good he is other than that unit is why our defense has risen up a level - having gone from below average to above average. We are not going to have elite DBs. We never have and often did not have good ones. We almost always have good DL and LB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
I would think that the two guys on staff that would be ideal for Dcoordinator would be Howell or Kpop.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Wonder how this makes Kafusi feel.
S
stuckinbig10country
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Wonder how this makes Kafusi feel.


Kafusi isn't good enough to be the DC. I don't know if Howell is or not.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Wonder how this makes Kafusi feel.


Kafusi isn't good enough to be the DC. I don't know if Howell is or not.


But don't we need a Poly Coordinator to keep Vai and his extended family on board?

:)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Who Bronci trusts and the right person for the job aren't necessarily the same.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Wonder how this makes Kafusi feel.


Kafusi isn't good enough to be the DC. I don't know if Howell is or not.


Kaufusi is stuck in the 90s. Look at the pads he has his speed rusher (Ansah) wearing, and then look at the pads every speed rusher in the NFL wears nowadays. Your DEs aren't laying hits like ILBs or your safeties, so why do you slow them down with the same pads? Ziggy should be wearing the same pads as Riley Stephenson.



http://img.ksl.com/slc/2502/250235/25023525.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Jason Paul-Pierre

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/files/a-hanlon-pierrepaul.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Aldon Smith

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/files/2012/09/49ers17_1480_bw-461x600.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Howell may be OK. He is unproven. He would be cheap. If he is a rising star - bang - bargain. If he isn't. Just cheap. The usual issue at BYU.



I posted a teaser about another choice. Proven. Good. Might be available. Probably a good fit. Would need to step down. May or may not be willing. May or may not stay long term. Could definitely do the job.



DeWayne Walker. You will see him tonight.



Probably not cheap.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
Howell may be OK. He is unproven. He would be cheap. If he is a rising star - bang - bargain. If he isn't. Just cheap. The usual issue at BYU.



I posted a teaser about another choice. Proven. Good. Might be available. Probably a good fit. Would need to step down. May or may not be willing. May or may not stay long term. Could definitely do the job.



DeWayne Walker. You will see him tonight.



Probably not cheap.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Considering what BYU professes to be trying to do with it's football program, the money shouldn't be that much of a factor. They need to open the pocket book and pay the big bucks. The school has the money.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Bronco promoted his secondary coach last time as well. If it were me, I'd go with a LB coach. They have responsibilities n both areas.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.