Archived Topic

I hope you guys are sitting down-BYU back to the MWC?

by MTM · 11/19/2012

Advertisement
S
scott715
Says we make $4M from ESPN. Also they are just guessing. The MWC is so bad that it would not make sense. Big East would still be a better option.
B
BroncoBot
That would be fine. As long as BYU kept the TV right to each and every game and had permission to show whatever game not on ESPN on BYUtv.
M
MTM
scott715 wrote:
Says we make $4M from ESPN. Also they are just guessing.


I've been here long enough I hope you don't take this as a troll but what do you mean by this?



The guy is an ESPN writer. If anyone knows what the contract is worth is should be ESPN.



$4 million is the number I've always heard but I know many BYU fans think it is double or triple that.
B
BroncoBot
I think he meant the guy was guessing about BYU going back to MWC, not about the monetary figure.
Advertisement
M
MTM
BroncoBot wrote:
I think he meant the guy was guessing about BYU going back to MWC, not about the monetary figure.


Oh, I can see that now.



Sorry. My mistake.
B
BroncoBot
Oh another thing. Thompson walks if BYU returns. Otherwise, no deal. I can't stand that dirtbag.
B
BroncoBot
1 more thing. I think I'd prefer staying in the WCC with other sports at this point.
K
KingCoug
C'mon guys. BYU will die before it goes back to the Mountain West. At least so many things would have to change which simply aren't going to change.



Anyway, Wrubell reported "the president at BYU hasn’t had communications with (the MWC)...”
P
Phatgreen
Ugh...I think I just threw up in my mouth.
Advertisement
S
scott715
BYU has denied it. Time to move on.
C
CAFB_04-12
I can imagine a world where the MWC brass float an idea during a conference call about re-inviting BYU, SDSU, and Boise St back to the fold.



I can then imagine invading that world and destroying it because they'd be too dumb to expect it.



Can anyone seriously believe that any BYU AD or President would be talking to the MWC right now? I'd think that they'd be more likey to be talking to Big XII, Oklahoma, or Texas right now.
K
KingCoug
I think Tom Holmoe would say "Over my dead body" before having to deal with Hair Thompson again...



http://www.cosida.com/media/images/2010/8/cthompson1_200.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
All I've heard is that "BYU, BSU, and SDSU talked to the MWC about rejoining." BYU and SDSU have both denied contacting the MWC.



My interpretation? The MWC once again WAAAAAAAAAAAAY over-estimated their leverage with the newest developments in the college football landscape, and someone in Denver placed calls to the ex-pat schools just to get laughed at.



BYU went independent for exposure. Going back to the MWC is a step back into the darkness. Plus, BYU would be at best a fourth place finisher this year in the hypothetically reconfigured MWC, so there's that too.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Hair was not the problem. Wyoming, CSU, UNM and the dregs were the probelm. HAir had to speak for all, not just for the best. So he went with the majority and kept his job. Yeah, he was Comcast's lap dog, but still, the issue was the people BYU was aligned with sucked at understanding that the real value in the MWC was BYU. They got to learn the hardway.
B
BroncoBot
Lawboy wrote:
Hair was not the problem. Wyoming, CSU, UNM and the dregs were the probelm. HAir had to speak for all, not just for the best. So he went with the majority and kept his job. Yeah, he was Comcast's lap dog, but still, the issue was the people BYU was aligned with sucked at understanding that the real value in the MWC was BYU. They got to learn the hardway.

Which might be true, but doesn't that mean he stinks at his job as commish? He was unable to come to an agreement that helped everyone out.
C
Cougarbib
Amazing. MWC lost 2 teams to Big East, 1 to Big 12 by way of Big East, and 1 to PAC 12, and BYU to independence and you think he actually could have stopped that or anyone could have. Get real. He survived and the WAC died.



BYU would have been the only lost team that could have possibly stayed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
If we were in the MWC still, we would be moving to the Big East with BSU. At last what could have been in the MWC with inspired leadership. A large exit fee, a tv partner that truely was a partner, a ESPN contract. . .
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.