Archived Topic

If you're Tom Holmoe...

by KingCoug · 11/18/2012

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Who's still here in 2013 and who's gone?
W
Wickchad
I'd get rid of who ever is letting a QB with a broken back continue to play.
B
Brayden Green
If I was Holmoe I would make the Marlins look like they belong on "Hoarders."



Everyone is gone but DuPaix and Cahoon, at this point. Bronco has to give me a solid reason why we haven't seen Lark with the ones, or I'd spend the offseason taking head coaching resumes.
G
Guest
If it were up to me, I'd fire Weber and Doman.



I bet only Weber gets the can though.
B
BroncoBot
Most would agree that Weber's seat is the hottest. So who replaces him? I think BYU's line has the talent to be good instantly with the right coaching. But who is that coach going to be?
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I'd start with Weber on December 22, and put Bronco on notice for 2013. If 2013 goes poorly, BYU will allow his contract to lapse and not re-sign him to a new deal.



With that comes the truth that the new coach hired has the ability to choose his staff. His entire staff. So that puts all assistants on notice as well that they could be gone also post-2013.



We will struggle next year, but if we can see the right improvements, 2014 becomes a chnce for a good season. If not, we move on in 2014 with a new staff.
I
Irish Cougar
BlueIsBetter wrote:
If I was Holmoe I would make the Marlins look like they belong on "Hoarders."



Everyone is gone but DuPaix and Cahoon, at this point. Bronco has to give me a solid reason why we haven't seen Lark with the ones, or I'd spend the offseason taking head coaching resumes.

+1
F
frdbtr
I'm sure glad you guys aren't in charge. You are talking about replaying 02-04 at least. BYU isn't alabama, we don't fire 10 win coaches and get better ones.
B
BroncoBot
Lawboy wrote:
I'd start with Weber on December 22, and put Bronco on notice for 2013. If 2013 goes poorly, BYU will allow his contract to lapse and not re-sign him to a new deal.

2013 most certainly will be a struggle, for coaches, players and fans. It could get ugly.



I'll add that getting rid of Bronco effectively gets rid of the Defense we've seen for 2-3 years which is the only reason we've been in most games. All BYU needs right now is a little tweaking on offense and a offensive coach with enough clout that he can call his own shots. Andy Reid???
S
snoscythe
I think Doman called himself right into a demotion at the least Saturday night. When Joey Galloway is calling you out on ESPN2 for schizophrenic play calling, your time has come to do something else for a paycheck.



Anyone thinking Andy Reid is a quick fix obviously hasn't seen the soap opera that's been the Philly QB situation for the past 10+ years.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:

Anyone thinking Andy Reid is a quick fix obviously hasn't seen the soap opera that's been the Philly QB situation for the past 10+ years.

Good point. You have a suggestion?
G
Gucci33
Hire a real oc. Offer Bronco a dc only role and hire a new hc. Then let him clean house. Our schedule next year is brutal.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Gucci33 wrote:
Hire a real oc. Offer Bronco a dc only role and hire a new hc. Then let him clean house. Our schedule next year is brutal.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Head coaches don't get demoted onto the same staff, they get fired. Either Bronco is our HC or he is not here, you don't get it both ways.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
If I was Holmoe I would make the Marlins look like they belong on "Hoarders."



Everyone is gone but DuPaix and Cahoon, at this point. Bronco has to give me a solid reason why we haven't seen Lark with the ones, or I'd spend the offseason taking head coaching resumes.


That is not how it is done unless you want to blow away your recruiting class who will be worried due to any change but especially if it is not clear who is coming in, style of play, and whether you still fit in,



If you change - you do it quickly and replace quickly. You do not spend the offseason scanning resumes.



The coaching carousel around the country will start to fire up in about two weeks.



Count how many bowl eligible coaches get fired. Few, if any. Of those, count how many contend for highest winning percentage in school history - neck and neck with a legendary coach - and no other coach in the history of that school being a winning coach. Then factor in the intangibles that may go with a program and find the ones that get Fired. Intangibles match up. Proven winner. Only one other winner ever. Never missed a bowl game. But shucks he lost to ND, BSU, U, and SJSU on the road and OSU at home. Fire the bum. Any high school cosch could do better.



LOL



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
rblack
I highly doubt that Bronco signs another contract and it will be a sad day. BYU will offer him another contract, probably at a higher salary, however, he will unfortunately not accept. The replacement for Bronco will be less capable, have a higher learning curve and will lose alot more games than Bronco ever did. The best that we can hope for is that Kyle Whittingham will be available because Utah can't win in the PAC 12. That will still be a major step down from Bronco Mendenhall.
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
I wonder if Tennessee is going to make a run at Bronco. They went after Whittingham last time they needed a coach. Would Bronco fit at another school? If he isn't coaching BYU does he coach somewhere else? If Bronco is gone after next year, is there anyone on staff that could take over as DC and keep the performance of our defense up? Could Kaufsi be the DC? Is Poppinga or Howell ready to be a DC? Could we steal Sitaki from Utah?



If you want a high powered, exciting offense there needs to be a new head coach who is offensive minded. The question is could our defense stay the same.



One change that for sure needs to be made is if Doman is back next year he needs to have complete control over the offense including the personnel decisions.
B
BoiseBYU
We fire Doman, we lose Mangum....is my fear...Doman is a great recruiter
G
Guest
People who are talking about firing Bronco and keeping Doman make no sense to me. Why would we want to keep the guy who is responsible for the QB and offense that we've seen the last several years? Bronco has been a superior head coach when he had an Offensive Coordinator that knew his butt from the ground.
C
Cougs_Rule
Bronco is going nowhere this coming Year. BoT trumps disgruntled Donors (some who are not happy some who are happy but want improvements). BoT see Bronco as near ideal. As for fan influence on coaching decisions--nada!

Doman wasn't ready, except to say, "Sir, yes sir." Doman also is not likely anything that resembles a West Coast OC Or prolific passing OC. He is who he is. But if BYU doesn't figure out their OLine issues whether by coach or by intensity or talent or the much maligned "execution" Bronco will go down and out with the ship and not sign another contract.

Next year's schedule will be a painful crucible and we will long for the days of, well, look what USU has accomplished. If they had beaten BYU they would be in the top 20. Playing with the Big Boys isn't working out so well for BYU or Utah.



Speaking of USU, I wonder how well Anderson would do at BYU, if Bronco departed?
S
stuckinbig10country
I think Bronco signs one more contract after this. I think he's here as long as the ESPN deal is in place. Although, I could see him leaving after this year with his favorite player leaving.



I would hope that Weber is finally gone (retired or otherwise). If Reynolds is still here, move him over to the line. Re-assign the TE's to the WR coach for route work and put them with the OL for blocking work. Bring in a QB coach to help with the development of the position.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.