Archived Topic

John Beck

by frdbtr · 11/16/2012

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I've been watching replay football games on byutv.org and just wanted to comment on how good John beck really was. He truely was the best QB we have had since Ty Detmer, no offense to Sark. Even in 04 when he had a seperated shoulder for the whole year, he tore it up. His bad games as far as PER were as good or better than our current crop of QB's (Nelson and Heaps) was as good or better than their good games. Can you imagine if Beck would have had the benefit of someone like himself setting the table for his career (ala what Max Hall benefited from). We would have had a couple BCS wins and maybe a shot at the NC again.
S
Schmoe
Totally agree. We had great teams in a large part due to Beck at the helm.
K
KingCoug
While Max was better in his sophomore and junior years, Beck was better than Max his senior year. Beck in 2006 was laser sharp. Part of the reason 2006 is still Bronco's best team to date.
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
While Max was better in his sophomore and junior years, Beck was better than Max his senior year. Beck in 2006 was laser sharp. Part of the reason 2006 is still Bronco's best team to date.


Max Hall never got any better after his sophomore year. If Beck had had Max's supporting cast on offense, it would have been amazing.
Y
Y 4 Ever
I think that the 2006 team was THE best team we've had since 1996, and possibly 3rd best ever (just behind 1996 and 1984), and that is mostly due to Beck. Just think about this year's team with Beck at the helm...



if only we could get our stars to align.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Y 4 Ever wrote:
I think that the 2006 team was THE best team we've had since 1996, and possibly 3rd best ever (just behind 1996 and 1984), and that is mostly due to Beck. Just think about this year's team with Beck at the helm...



if only we could get our stars to align.


:love: That would have been awesome! Of course we would still have our offensive line.
S
stuckinbig10country
Beck's release was quick enough to get the ball out to Hoff and Apo, even with this terrible O line. Also, I blame some (not a lot) of how poor the OL plays on never knowing where the QB is going to be. Sometimes they block players right into the QB, because he's moved from where they expect him to be.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
I think I'll never forget watching him take the field against USC in CA. I think it was the first game of the year, and I think it was the first time he played. USC was ranked pretty high. It was a great game and BYU almost won..... Put the scare in the Trojan fans in the Coluseum that night. And Beck just looked SO good. He looked as a QB the way Staley looked as a running back; something special for sure.
S
SpiffCoug
The SR Beck before sitting out the Utah St game was NOT the same QB as after it.



Before the game he was at a 149 PER (which I would kill for in any of the last three years). But afterwards, he was at 174! He just killed it the final nine games.
G
Guest
Beck was truly special. I could see it even when Croutons was running the team into the ground.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Ygridiron4ever wrote:
I think I'll never forget watching him take the field against USC in CA. I think it was the first game of the year, and I think it was the first time he played. USC was ranked pretty high. It was a great game and BYU almost won..... Put the scare in the Trojan fans in the Coluseum that night. And Beck just looked SO good. He looked as a QB the way Staley looked as a running back; something special for sure.


That was Matt Berry that played USC in the colluseum. He broke his hand in the very next game in 2003 and our season was over at that point. Beck played USC in 04 at LES and we got pummeled in that game.
S
SpiffCoug
Beck played against USC in 03, played like one play, ran the option and was knocked out of the game with a concussion.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
Beck played against USC in 03, played like one play, ran the option and was knocked out of the game with a concussion.


And that's the crazy part; he completed one beautiful pass for a first down, ran the ball four times for another. And then got knocked out of the game. And yet he made quite an impression on me and the Trojan fans around me. It really was one of the things that still stands out in my memory. Sorry I wasn't more clear in the original post.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.