Archived Topic

Fighting Poll

by Isola · 11/13/2012

Advertisement
I
Isola
So I saw the Stout - Sampson fight for the first time today and got caught up on the thread about it. And it got me thinking.



What is the worst kind of fight you have been in?



In 30+ years I have thrown one punch and taken one other guy to the ground in a headlock. And I have never been in a position to stop a fight either.



What is typical?
C
Cougarbib
At Mount Jordan Jr. High School - back in the day - we had three lunch breaks, and it seemed that their was a scuffle daily at each of the three lunch periods and often in PE as well. And about once or twice a month - a major bout. Especially behind the bleachers at football games, after school, off campus.



Jordan High School was rougher. I did not attend as we moved to Provo when I hit 9th grade. But gang fights at sporting events and kicking during fist fights was common and shocking when us young pups were allowed to walk across the field between Jr High and Sr. High for a football game and see that violence for the first time.



My brother was in a group nicknamed The Benny Crew. They dragged State and looked for fights. Wore hard hats. Carried chains, brass knuckles, baseball bats, etc. but no guns or knifes and they did more posturing than fighting most nights, but Gang fights did occur. After my brother moved to Heber, they came up and took on anyone from Kamas one night.



Provo and Heber had more scuffling and occasional bouts - less gang fights.



West High. South High. Rougher. Skyline High - not so much. More civilized - but reputation for being pansies. Jordan got into it after a State playoff basketball incident where Skyline guys messed with Jordan Cheerleaders trying to carry a banner. Skyline guys were hiding behind their girlfriends afterwards.



But I was a kid and luckily by moving to Provo and then Heber and having an older guy bail me out and dissuade 5 Midway guys from pounding the new Heber kid - I just had a few one on ones.



Got into one as a freshman at BYU off-campus apt complex. Some guy thought my band was playing too loud.



Recommend Private Schools if you can afford it. Much less of this non-sense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Never been in a fight and proud of it. I'm glad and thankful my friends and I were never in a situation where it could escalate to the point that I'm rolling on the dirty floor of a 24-hour burrito joint or where someone had to take a cheap shot on guys already fighting other people or where women could hit by inadvertent punches.



Call me sheltered or naive, but I'm glad I've never been in a fight.
F
frdbtr
I got cold cocked once in high school. That would be it. Speaking of the fight, I watched the vid and can't figure out who is who throwing the punches. I am assuming Sampson is the black kid that threw a punch or two, that Johnson is the guy trying to push guys out the door but can't tell who stout is, was he the guy that threw the first punch or the guy that reacted to it? anyway, just was hoping someone could clear it up. (my perception of who sampson and Johnson are is due to the severity of the punishment since sampson got kicked out of school and johnson did not).
M
mizzoucoug
frdbtr wrote:
I got cold cocked once in high school. That would be it. Speaking of the fight, I watched the vid and can't figure out who is who throwing the punches. I am assuming Sampson is the black kid that threw a punch or two, that Johnson is the guy trying to push guys out the door but can't tell who stout is, was he the guy that threw the first punch or the guy that reacted to it? anyway, just was hoping someone could clear it up. (my perception of who sampson and Johnson are is due to the severity of the punishment since sampson got kicked out of school and johnson did not).


Stout was the kid who got taken to the ground and couldn't get up.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I got into a scuffle and a bout (by these definitions) in high school, I got sucker-punched by a drunk guy once in college, and almost got into several fights with opposing teams and fans in college lacrosse. I never punched anyone while they weren't looking/expecting it, never punched a girl, and never started a fight (especially not while drunk at a slimy restaurant at three am).
K
KingCoug
The worst fights I've been in were in elementary and middle school.
B
BroncoBot
I voted "dustup". Some kid and myself got into a pushing match in gradeschool during soccer at recess. I landed a punch to his gut. In high school he and I were best friends. lol.
M
Mingjai
I played hockey and volleyball and got in a scuffle in each. The hockey one was borderline brawl--several punches were thrown, and I got in a crosscheck and a punch in before everyone get tangled up and the fighting fizzled.
I
Isola
SpiffCoug wrote:
Never been in a fight and proud of it. I'm glad and thankful my friends and I were never in a situation where it could escalate to the point that I'm rolling on the dirty floor of a 24-hour burrito joint or where someone had to take a cheap shot on guys already fighting other people or where women could hit by inadvertent punches.



Call me sheltered or naive, but I'm glad I've never been in a fight.

I agree with you.



Here is my theory. In high school I knew a guy who was always getting in accidents, which wasn't all that surprising because he drove like a maniac. The surprising thing was how many of the accidents weren't legally his fault. But even when it wasn't legally his fault it could have been avoided if he had been driving better.



I think it is the same way with fighting. There are certain people who are always getting in fights because they start fights, or they push the buttons of people who do, and they hang out with people who do as well.



I think we see that with the Stout, Sampson, Johnson situation. Stout is a hot head who started the fight, Sampson hangs out with a hot head and is all too willing to get involved when someone else starts things. And while Johnson has a cool enough head to stay above the fray, and even help defuse the situation, he hangs out with the type of guys that got him into the mess in the first place.



I hope Stout and Sampson can grow up and settle down (although Sampson can't play any more), and I hope Johnson learns to make better choices about who he hangs out with and when.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I couldn't choose. Heck, I've been in each of those descriptions just with my two brothers growing up.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
EM_Puma wrote:
I couldn't choose. Heck, I've been in each of those descriptions just with my two brothers growing up.

One time my two older brothers tied me and a friend up on these some chairs, tipped them over, put peanut butter on our face, and let this nasty neighborhood dog lick it off. This wasn't a category, but needless to say, I think if we count family fights I've been in every category a bazillion times. Fighting with my brothers was practically what we did when we were bored. It was almost like a hobby. The most frustrating part is that I've ended up outgrowing one of them, and I feel like I could totally take him down, but since joining the church and being an adult and everything, we just don't fight like we did as kids.



Do mission fights count? The summer of 2004 in El Paso was definitely a heated one.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
scott715 wrote:
http://www.helloloser.com/2012/11/13/byu-football-player-fight/

Okay, this breakdown of the fighting video reads almost like a cracked.com article. I really appreciated the mini featurettes of the players in the beginning. Joe "Beanie Man" Sampson was a good description, but I didn't quite get the Barry Manilow reference. I would have gone with Luther Vandross, instead. I also appreciated the part "his mom never loved him."



I think the "wrestler man" feature of this writeup also deserves more attention. For those of us who wrestled in high school, I definitely appreciated the two-point take down reference. However, wrestler man also racked up some serious back points here too. It would be 5-0 if we were counting. And who isn't? Actually, I think Zac Stout looks pinned, but if I were reffing it, I just don't know if I could make the call. The fingers to the face (which is totally an illegal move) kind of saved the match for Stout. That, and Joe Sampson coming up and punching wrestler man in the head. It would be really hard to pin someone while (1.) someone has their hands to your face and is poking you in the eyes and (2.) someone else is punching the back of your head.



C'mon guys, "this isn't 'Nam, there are rules!"
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Also, can we add another category, "Any of the above, while naked." One time in high school there was a scene in the showers after wrestling practice. This one I just witnessed and walked away from. Quickly. I even had some shampoo left in my hair, but whatevs. Who would want to get involved in that?



I know this is totally relevant to BYU football and everything, so yeah. :roll:

-TVRC
Advertisement
S
SenorCougar
For a trained linebacker like Stout, he got his butt kicked. The smaller wrestler dude took it to him. The only reason Stout got up was the Sampson hit. Who should be more embarrassed? Stout or the BYU fan whooped by the Ute cheerleader? Neither one was very impressive for Coug fans...
M
Mars
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
Also, can we add another category, "Any of the above, while naked." One time in high school there was a scene in the showers after wrestling practice. This one I just witnessed and walked away from. Quickly. I even had some shampoo left in my hair, but whatevs. Who would want to get involved in that?



I know this is totally relevant to BYU football and everything, so yeah. :roll:

-TVRC

Are you from Happy Valley, PA?
J
jonnylingo
I punched one guy way bigger than me once to make a point. Other than that fighting is a horrible thing in my opinion.



frdbtr. see the come at me brow thread below. ute fans brreaks down the fight.
H
HoosierCougar
Mars wrote:
Also, can we add another category, "Any of the above, while naked." One time in high school there was a scene in the showers after wrestling practice. This one I just witnessed and walked away from. Quickly. I even had some shampoo left in my hair, but whatevs. Who would want to get involved in that?



I know this is totally relevant to BYU football and everything, so yeah. :roll:

-TVRC

Are you from Happy Valley, PA?

Ouch! That hurts the sandusky!



I have been in a few scuffles and dust ups. Once when in grad school. The MBAs were playing the Law Students in some touch football that turned into tackle and then to cheap shots. Words were said an I tried to break it up by stepping between 2 guys and the Law School d-bag (not a generalization, just this guy) took a shot at me and his buddy came in and shoved me. It got crazier from there for about 10 minutes until cooler heads prevailed.



I also staged a fake fight at a McDonalds in Erlanger, KY after a Stake Dance. Best part? They only threatened to kick us out.



There was a chest-bumping, spit flying, nose-to-nose argument at my youngest brother's wedding reception. Apparently the bride's father made some remark about my bro which my older bro and a BIL heard and took exception to. I was oblivious until one of my sisters asked me to "spread a little brotherly love" in that area. I had to figure our what was going on before I could stop it. Then I just told my bro to take a walk and told bride's dad he needed to cool off. My dad came over about that point to further diffuse the situation. We don't talk about that wedding much.
M
Mars


My twin brother and I fought over our shared electric razor when we were 18; He wanted to take it with him on his mission, and I wanted to take it with me to BYU. He punched me in the face, which meant that I won! He had to buy himself a new razor, and I got to keep the old one.



The moral of the story, looking back, is not to share an electric razor; that seems kinda gross in retrospect.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.