Archived Topic

Is it Time for BYU to Join A Conference?

by Cougarbib · 11/13/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Is it time?



The landscape keeps changing in ways that are not working for us - except we do have about the best fan access out there anywhere. So good - it gets tempting for some to just stay home and flip on the TV.



But scheduling, bowl access, and now play-off selection keep working against us.



With The Group of Five distinction now lumping Big East, MWC, C-USA, and two even lesser conferences into a little brother status relative to the Main Five conferences with whatever distinction they called that - and with the main five conferences seemingly giving biggest big brother acquiescence to SEC and ND - BYU seemingly got nothing out of the new deal.



So - is our independence and fan access still worth the price?



Is there a way to have our cake and eat it too, if we conference shop? Would joining a lesser conference help our future options, hurt them, or make no difference?



Might this new deal result in some new Big East additions backing out and staying in MWC or C-USA? Or Big East going for 16 or more teams with a WEST and EAST equal split?



Would either of those work for us?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
I am ready given BYU being able to televise what the conference passes up and BYU being able to do what they want outside of conference. But, I would hope for sufficient western schools to keep travel practical.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Sure, as long as it's the Big XII.
F
frdbtr
Schmoe wrote:
Sure, as long as it's the Big XII.


+1 not until the big 12 comes calling.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:
Sure, as long as it's the Big XII.


+1 not until the big 12 comes calling.


While I'm glad there are people here who don't want run to the Big East, the question is, would we be in the Big 12 what the Utes are right now in the PAC 12?
Advertisement
C
crh55
Our Indy schedules just keep getting better and better. Why would we jump ship now other than bowl game issues. Speaking if bowl games, what is next year's bowl tie in?
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Sure, as long as it's the Big XII.


+1 not until the big 12 comes calling.


While I'm glad there are people here who don't want run to the Big East, the question is, would we be in the Big 12 what the Utes are right now in the PAC 12?


I guess we are going to see aren't we. I think our sched this year has been comparable to a Pac 12 sched and next years will be even tougher. If we survive it and get to a bowl, then I could say with confidence that we could compete in the big 12 and actually challenge for a championship after reaping the recruiting benefits of being the big 12.
F
Fido
crh55 wrote:
Our Indy schedules just keep getting better and better. Why would we jump ship now other than bowl game issues. Speaking if bowl games, what is next year's bowl tie in?

There isn't one right now as far as I know.
C
Cougarbib
I would join PAC, Big 12, or Big 10 in a heartbeat - even without TV concessions. And I think we would be about like Utah, AZ, ASU, in a typical year. Basically middle third. Big 12 and Big 10 might be even a little tougher.



It would make us improve - to the extent we can - but we will still struggle to recruit DBs, blazing fast RBs, and WRs due to cultural and honor code issues.



The OP assumes that The Big 5 conferences continue to lack interest in BYU. If your stance is Big 12 or other uninterested conference or bust - choose NO on the menu. No - is the wait for one of the Big 5 conferences to get interested option.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
Fido wrote:
Our Indy schedules just keep getting better and better. Why would we jump ship now other than bowl game issues. Speaking if bowl games, what is next year's bowl tie in?

There isn't one right now as far as I know.

Emerald Bowl in San Fran vs. PAC-12 #5, I believe.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
Mars wrote:
crh55 wrote:
Our Indy schedules just keep getting better and better. Why would we jump ship now other than bowl game issues. Speaking if bowl games, what is next year's bowl tie in?

There isn't one right now as far as I know.

Emerald Bowl in San Fran vs. PAC-12 #5, I believe.


What's San Francisco like in December?
A
a1247
Im not sure about anyone else but I watched the start of TCU KState on Saturday and I couldn't help but think that could have been BYU playing instead of TCU. I know TCU lost as would BYU, but I would rather be in the Big12 and lose then play Idaho at 8:30 on a very cold night.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
crh55
a1247 wrote:
Im not sure about anyone else but I watched the start of TCU KState on Saturday and I couldn't help but think that could have been BYU playing instead of TCU. I know TCU lost as would BYU, but I would rather be in the Big12 and lose then play Idaho at 8:30 on a very cold night.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The cold November games suck, but it won't be as much of an issue the longer Holmoe has time to create our future schedules.



I would rather chart our own course as Indy than be Cal or Iowa State.
M
Mars
Florwood wrote:
What's San Francisco like in December?

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/legacy_images/buildingthedam/images/admin/EmeraldBowl.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Fido wrote:
Our Indy schedules just keep getting better and better. Why would we jump ship now other than bowl game issues. Speaking if bowl games, what is next year's bowl tie in?

There isn't one right now as far as I know.

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in No. Cal vs PAC 12 Opponent IIRC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
A
a1247
crh55 wrote:
Im not sure about anyone else but I watched the start of TCU KState on Saturday and I couldn't help but think that could have been BYU playing instead of TCU. I know TCU lost as would BYU, but I would rather be in the Big12 and lose then play Idaho at 8:30 on a very cold night.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The cold November games suck, but it won't be as much of an issue the longer Holmoe has time to create our future schedules.



I would rather chart our own course as Indy than be Cal or Iowa State.




Even next years games in November are all away games. So me myself I would rather see them play and beat Cal or Iowa State in November. And if they were in one of those twos conferences then the game could have a conference championship possibility riding on the game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Big XII--football only, rest in WCC. Big XII would add Louisville as well. So 11 FT members, which gives them 20 confernce hoops games, and then BYU to get to 12 for football, and they give BYU some hoops game and other Oly sports matches annually.



With BYU so much farther west than the rest, makes the most sense because it is easier to travel for football than for all the other sports teams. So saves the league $$$ on travel, but still gets them BYU for football.



This is my best hope. Otherwise, it is BE or Indy.
Y
YNot
Lawboy wrote:
Big XII--football only, rest in WCC. Big XII would add Louisville as well. So 11 FT members, which gives them 20 confernce hoops games, and then BYU to get to 12 for football, and they give BYU some hoops game and other Oly sports matches annually.



With BYU so much farther west than the rest, makes the most sense because it is easier to travel for football than for all the other sports teams. So saves the league $$$ on travel, but still gets them BYU for football.



This is my best hope. Otherwise, it is BE or Indy.


I haven't been a huge fan of the Big 12 full membership because all the Olympic sports would travel to distant destinations that do not boast strong alumni contingencies. The WCC, on the other hand, is firmly entrenched in BYU alumni's footprint. Also, the significance of the religious brotherhood with WCC institutions cannot be understated. For example, the University of Portland is to Notre Dame as BYU-Idaho is to BYU. That is significant on many levels - athletics and otherwise.



So, I like the idea of football only, with everything else remaining in the WCC. Add 4-5 non-conference games against Big 12 opponents in the Olympic Sports (especially basketball), and I am sold!



Biggest issue now - is this really an option??
Y
YNot
I am also extremely excited for the 2013 and 2014 football schedules. If they represent what we can expect moving forward, I think BYU will do fine as an independent and it's hard to get excited about the Big East. We already have 2 or 3 good Big East games each year on upcoming schedules (Boise State, Houston, UCF, Cincinnati).
C
Cougarbib
Thought about a new thread - decided to add to this one instead.



Conspiracy Theory



It seems like the bigger conferences not only are not trying to help BYU re scheduling and Bowl selections - but seem to be throwing obstacles in our path like - No November games, requiring home field advantage, no AQ status for new playoff system, etc.



It may not just be anti-Mormon sentiment and the desire to reduce odds of losing. It may also be that they are afraid that if Indy starts to look good - Confrrences will lose some of their more independent minded members.



So passive aggressive resistance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.