Archived Topic

KVN and Hoff: Stay or go to NFL early?

by Y12 · 11/2/2012

Advertisement
Y
Y12
Talked with Austin Collie's dad about what the decision making process was like for them and what he thought about KVN and Hoffman leaving after this season.



Here is what he said and some of my thoughts on whether they should stay or go based on how their junior seasons have transpired thus far.



http://www.bluecougarfootball.com/2012/11/stay-or-go-should-kyle-van-noy-and-cody.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D
Ddawg
I am a huge fan of both Kyle and Cody. For selfish reasons - I do not want either to enter the NFL draft this year. Both are integral, key components to the Coug football program. You cannot replace talent like these guys.
G
Guest
If they are smart...



KVN: Gone.

Cody Hoffman: Back.
S
Schmoe
Unless they're a lock as a first-day pick, I'd say they should come back.
K
KingCoug
Hoffman isn't going anywhere. 95% chance he'll be back.



And I'm not nearly convinced as many that Van Noy will go. 65% chance he'll be back.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
KVN is much more NFL ready and has more NFL talent, IMO. Hoffman is good, but I'm not sold he's a full NFL WR yet.
C
Cougarbib
Both should stay. No doubt.



Manti Teo was better. Stayed. Getting Heisman mention. First round pick for sure.



Legacy. Priceless. You can't cone back and build it later.



Hoffman would not go high in the draft.



KVN would go higher - I doubt any earlier than 3rd Round.
M
mizzoucoug
I lol'd when I saw this thread. I know we are fans of the team but you have to be realistic. KVN is a freak by BYU standards but he is too small to be a sure thing in the NFL. As for Hoffman, I'm not sure he has the wheels to be a sure thing either. I think his ability to separate is his best trait. However, due to crappy QB play we really don't even know if he is much of a burner downfield. NFL team want someone who can consistently get behind the D and I honestly don't know if he can.
S
scott715
Steve Largent of Seatlle Seahawks was not a burner either but he was a possession receiver who went to the Hall of Fame.
C
Cougarbib
mizzoucoug wrote:
I lol'd when I saw this thread. I know we are fans of the team but you have to be realistic. KVN is a freak by BYU standards but he is too small to be a sure thing in the NFL. As for Hoffman, I'm not sure he has the wheels to be a sure thing either. I think his ability to separate is his best trait. However, due to crappy QB play we really don't even know if he is much of a burner downfield. NFL team want someone who can consistently get behind the D and I honestly don't know if he can.




We do know. Hoff is not a burner. You watched him return kicks and not outrun any burners. Try to blame that on Riley. In fact, I think Riley could outrun Hoffman.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
Steve Largent of Seatlle Seahawks was not a burner either but he was a possession receiver who went to the Hall of Fame.


Largent was the real deal. IDK the answer so I will ask



Did he enter the draft early?

Was he drafted high?
S
scott715
No, i think he was around 7th rounder. I looked it up and it was 4th round. After the preseason he was traded for a 8th round pick.
M
Metal Bubba
I've not looked at a single NFL draft projection type website or really read/seen NFL pundits speak on any of our players. Except what the announcers say during games. So without wearing my blue-colored goggles, here we go.



Hoffman is a journey man NFL player at best. Late round draft pick or a free agent signing.



KVN is a question mark because I'm not sure what position he'd fit into in the NFL. I say he goes somewhere in high to low niddle of the draft.



Now Ziggy on the other hand will be 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's an athletic freak and can be used is so many ways. I see him geting scooped up by a very good team that can afford to take a chance on a work-in-progress.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
scott715 wrote:
Steve Largent of Seatlle Seahawks was not a burner either but he was a possession receiver who went to the Hall of Fame.


No, I get that. But the question is whether or not he's a sure fire pick and because he doesn't have any abilities that clearly separate him from the pack of draftees there is no reason for him to leave early.
L
Lawboy
Been told that Hoff is staying, unless his draft analysis comes back better than expected. As to KVN, my gut tells me he is going, although Kyle himself is on record saying he has yet to decide.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
To value a draft pick, you have to look at their "bust-potential"--if they bust, what do you do with them?



A bust Hoffman? Practice squad for 3 years?

A bust KVN? Special teams for a couple of years?

A bust Ziggy? A situational pass rusher.



Ziggy is the only one who retains value if he's a bust in my book, so Ziggy is a first or second day pick.
T
tmoney35
My thoughts:



Hoffman would've needed a monster year to go early. He's definitely got the size and has good hands (though he hasn't come down with nearly as many tough catches this year as I've hoped he would). Like others have said, I don't really know how fast he is because I can't remember the last time I saw him with the ball in the open field. Just out of curiosity, I checked out Larry Fitzgerald's 40 time and it was 4.63. Just sayin



Van Noy maybe has a better shot, but he needed a monster year too. Like 13-14 sacks. Maybe if he absolutely killed it at the combine and ran a 4.4. I still think he has a tendency to disappear too often in games in between monster plays. That is why I've been so impressed with Ansah this year; not only does regularly make big plays, but he's ALWAYS around the ball no matter where it is on the field.
B
BerliNY
mizzoucoug wrote:
I lol'd when I saw this thread. I know we are fans of the team but you have to be realistic. KVN is a freak by BYU standards but he is too small to be a sure thing in the NFL. As for Hoffman, I'm not sure he has the wheels to be a sure thing either. I think his ability to separate is his best trait. However, due to crappy QB play we really don't even know if he is much of a burner downfield. NFL team want someone who can consistently get behind the D and I honestly don't know if he can.


Word.



KVN is amazing and I can't imagine what our D would be like without him. That said, I think that he, like Jimmer, is more suited to the college level than the pros. I could see him making the switch to safety in the NFL but If he wants to make that switch he needs his stock to rise quite a bit and if he wants to stay at LB he needs to bulk up. In either case, staying for his senior year is his best bet to avoid a late-round pick and subsequently get cut.



Hoffman has great size, maybe not great speed but with his size and ability to get separation in tight spaces he gives his QB a great target (one that even a short, mobile qb, with a mediocre arm can hit). If he leaves early I worry he'll pull a late round pick and get cut.
L
Lawboy
Guys, KVN is gonna be a 3rd round pick or better. He has good size, great wheels. Kid is 6'3". Yeah, he can add some lbs, and Kehl did after BYU too.



KVN will have a better NFL career than Kehl, no disrespect to Brian at all.



As to Hoff, he is a late rounder(5-7), but have been told by people in the know that many teams like Hoff for his size and great hands. Great possession receiver in the NFL, and he has good quickness. Not a burner, but a guy who can make it in the right scheme.



Both will make plenty of $$$ when they choose to go. And play for plenty of years.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.