Archived Topic

Two Toughest Games Remaining

by Cougarbib · 11/1/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
One is SJSU. The other is projected to be SDSU at their home town Poinsettia Bowl.



SJSU puts up a ton of points in most games. They shut out Navy, but usually give up 20 points to just about anyone. They, barring miracles, will be 8-2 when we arrive at their house. They lost to USU handily at home and we beat USU with our freshman back-up QB in Provo. That would all point to a BYU win, but not a gimme. And a road game of course. Since almost anyone seems to be able to put up 20 on them - I think BYU is going to put up 35-35 points. That -35 - is just short of what they usually score. This one will likely be one where our defense may need to handle them well below what they usually get so our future players can get some PT.



SDSU has 3 losses now and will surely have at least 4. Tom Holmoe stated that he would love to play SDSU at their place for old times sake. Seemed like maybe he was sucking up for future scheduling purposes. But I agree that this is an important relationship for BYU. They stack up about like SJSU, but lost to SJSU at home in San Diego. Likely another BYU win, but the BYU defense will need to show up. BYU offense should score 30+, though.



These wins may stack right above or behind GT when all is said and done in Sagarin Rankings.
K
KingCoug
San Jose State and San Diego State our 2 toughest opponents? Don't think so. I'd have to see it to be convinced and I doubt I will be.
C
Cougarbib
KingCoug wrote:
San Jose State and San Diego State our 2 toughest opponents? Don't think so. I'd have to see it to be convinced and I doubt I will be.




No no no. That is not what I meant - but I guess, I can see how one might take it that way. These two games - are the toughest of our 4 remaining games - and it actually may or may not be SDSU in the P bowl.



I realize that most likely you are just havin a little fun with me - but just in case anyone thought I mean't something else - should be clear now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
San Jose State and San Diego State our 2 toughest opponents? Don't think so. I'd have to see it to be convinced and I doubt I will be.




No no no. That is not what I meant - but I guess, I can see how one might take it that way. These two games - are the toughest of our 4 remaining games - and it actually may or may not be SDSU in the P bowl.



I realize that most likely you are just havin a little fun with me - but just in case anyone thought I mean't something else - should be clear now.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


OK, now it makes sense. And I expect either of those teams to be heads and shoulders above Idaho and New Mexico State. The latter two will be like scrimmages.
F
frdbtr
So basicly you are asking which teams BYU will beat by 30 instead of 40? I would agree that it will be SJSU and our bowl game whomever that will be.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
So basicly you are asking which teams BYU will beat by 30 instead of 40? I would agree that it will be SJSU and our bowl game whomever that will be.

I think there will be much more than a 10 point difference.



Idaho and NMSU are both 1-7 teams iirc. Idaho is in Provo. NMSU in Las Cruces or wherever it is they hang out. The only way these two teams will score a TD on BYU will be if we play deep down into our depth chart. I hope we do. These could be 56-0 type games if BYU goes all out.



SJSU and SDSU give up points, but they usually score even more points. So did GT. we did not play deep into the depth chart until the last series or two. The defense, therefore locked down. Without a pick 6 and a 100 yard kick-off return - this one might have been 42-0. If the defense holds these two teams as far below their average output, which I hope they do, maybe we can play deep into the depth chart here for a quarter or more. If the defense is a little off - like OSU and ND games, we still win, but may need to go with starters until late 4th quarter.



Maybe the difference will be 1 vs 2 quarters of emptying the bench.
L
Lawboy
USU boat raced SJSU in San Jose. Not worried at all.



BYU has 3 easy wins, and a moderate win left. We finish 9-4.
C
Cougarbib
NMSU dominating in yards - but no points 0-0 in 2nd qtr vs mighty Auburn @Auburn of course since NMSU is a little brother team.



How far the mighty have fallen since Auburn squeaked by USU a couple of years ago, cheated their way to the NC and Heisman a year ago, and now are 1-7 and fighting for thier reputation at home vs NMSU.



NMSU also played ranked Louisiana Tech reasonably close.
B
byucougar1
While I agree that all three teams SJSU, NMSU and SDSU can put up points, they haven't played a D like BYU; which seems to be getting better each game. The GT game infused confidence in them and the O supported their effort. I don't believe that any of these games will be close but will serve as time for player development of backups that will most likely be starters or see significant playing time next year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


SDSU did beat Boise State...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.