Archived Topic

Potatoes

by Cougarbib · 11/1/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I know - still plenty of time. Since there are already plenty of threads debating Riley's abs, hair, character, arm strength, judgment, fragility, muzzling, and length of leash and Bronco's love life, personality, intelligence, fan and media relationships, leash length, etc. and SOS appropriateness.



Can we please focus this thread on potatoe week and all things potatoes.



Most agree that next year, the schedule as currently understood, is the toughest over-all BYU schedule ever. No Miami game. Just lots of tough opponents. Some will agree that with this being a senior laden team that is already weak in several spits on offense and lacking depth in both trenches - we have work to do to give Taysom Hill a strong supporting cast and adequate back-up QB for next year. Even Special Teams will have holes to fill.



So now we have potatoe week1 and week2. Bronco stated that the priorities of week 1 are to let people rest and heal, improve individual skill levels, and work with the scout team to prepare players for next year.



Week 2 will have Idaho game prep, but this game and game prep should provide an opportunity to prepare and play a lot of guys who do not normally play - O, ST, and even D.



What would you like to see?



Lark? Are those wastes reps at this point? Or insurance in case we need him for SJSU or the Bowl Game?

Or build for 2013 with Munns and Kuresa. Waste Ammon O red-shirt and measure him?



Measure Hine, Lasike, and Pritchard? Other backs?



OL - anyone healthy enough to go? 2013 Center, whomever that might be.



TE? Who?



Kicker

Punter



DL - anyone healthy enough to go?



WR?



DB



Who do you want to see get significant reps that has not already been getting them?



Try to keep this a pleasant thread. Bash the old guys somewhere else.



This thread is about the future.



And this week is supposed to be about the future.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI
C
Cougarfan87
I would like to see Nelson put the game away in the first half and rest all starters for the second. Then I would like to see Lark get the 3rd Quarter and Munns get the 4th Quarter and run the same offense, just without the starters.



I wouldn't burn a red shirt this late in the season, and isn't Kuresa going on a mission later? It wouldn't make sense to put him in at QB since he won't be around again forever. I want to see Lark out of loyalty and Munns just to take a peak what he can do throwing the ball. Even though Hill is probably locked up as the starter, Munns may be the back-up, and with a running QB, you never know when you may need a back up.
C
Cougarbib
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I would like to see Nelson put the game away in the first half and rest all starters for the second. Then I would like to see Lark get the 3rd Quarter and Munns get the 4th Quarter and run the same offense, just without the starters.



I wouldn't burn a red shirt this late in the season, and isn't Kuresa going on a mission later? It wouldn't make sense to put him in at QB since he won't be around again forever. I want to see Lark out of loyalty and Munns just to take a peak what he can do throwing the ball. Even though Hill is probably locked up as the starter, Munns may be the back-up, and with a running QB, you never know when you may need a back up.


I am not sure when Kuresa will go on his mission. IIRC - already red-shirted. For now, a little Catting Around is probably sufficient. I would like to see Lark get at least a quarter - partly loyalty - partly insurance policy. I am not convinced that Riley will not get injured again. 2010 - Fall Camp - non contact drills, 2011 - either Idaho or Idaho State, 2012 - Weber State. Although one would assume the exposure would have been teams like U, USU, OSU, ND, Tulsa, etc., his injuries seem to come in cupcake situations like those coming up now.



Munns. Loyalty and - we need to know, what, if anything, Munns brings to the table. Hill is the heir apparent - if he recovers physically and psychologically as expected. And, QBs everywhere are getting injured. We saw back-ups just this year, ourselves, U, OSU, USU, ND, and probably someone I have forgotten. If Munns is not a big asset, no pun intended, we should figure that out over the next four games as opportunity permits.



Generous substitution could help keep Riley healthy for SJSU and The Poinsettia Bowl.



I would like to see the bench emptied early and often, but particularly focusing most of that on players we might need this year - OL, DL, etc., and players who will be here next year.



Tom Holmoe, in his interview, said he would like to see Riley put this team in a position to win out the regular season and in The P Bowl, and carry momentum into next year - then quickly clarified that he did not mean he was giving up on this season - no losses for the sake of the future. Getting up early so future players can gain experience is what I think he meant by that.
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI


Exposed - Dan Quayle is The Bibster
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
At this point, I don't see what playing Lark accomplishes.
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
At this point, I don't see what playing Lark accomplishes.


Embarrising the coaches if he plays well?
T
tww
SpiffCoug wrote:
At this point, I don't see what playing Lark accomplishes.


Maybe we should ask Lark that question.
C
Cougarbib
tww wrote:
At this point, I don't see what playing Lark accomplishes.


Maybe we should ask Lark that question.


Other than the obvious show of loyalty - which should not be the main driver - Nelson is injury prone - could go down again - takes risks that are inappropriate at times - may need to be benched to send a msg - could easily have his helmet come off at just the wrong time and be required to leave the game for a play, sprain an ab, tear a hair, or have a wardrobe problem, ......



Anyway, when Lark was needed in the past, coaches could not bring themselves to put him in. They owe it to him or Kuresa to have someone prepared to go in if a need arises.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Cougarbib wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI


Exposed - Dan Quayle is The Bibster


As it turns out - based on recent Bibster aka Quayle research -



The plural of Potato is Potatoes - Final Answer



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
SpiffCoug wrote:
At this point, I don't see what playing Lark accomplishes.


Unless the emphasis is for Doman to call more down the field pasing plays, and to focus on scheling for a QB with a good enough arm to challengs all zones of a defense down the field. Not just the short and intermediate areas.
T
tww
Cougarbib wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI


Exposed - Dan Quayle is The Bibster


As it turns out - based on recent Bibster aka Quayle research -



The plural of Potato is Potatoes - Final Answer



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I have met Dan Quayle, and you sir are no Dan Quayle. ;)
C
Cougarbib
tww wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI


Exposed - Dan Quayle is The Bibster


As it turns out - based on recent Bibster aka Quayle research -



The plural of Potato is Potatoes - Final Answer



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I have met Dan Quayle, and you sir are no Dan Quayle. ;)

Busted. Once again The Bibster caught claiming to be someone or something he isn't.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI


Exposed - Dan Quayle is The Bibster


As it turns out - based on recent Bibster aka Quayle research -



The plural of Potato is Potatoes - Final Answer



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Except you went potatoe both times.


Cougarbib wrote:
Can we please focus this thread on potatoe week and all things potatoes.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Fun response: I LUV ME SUM POTATOE, MASSHED OR BAKD OR FRUNCH FRYED. VOTE MORMAN THIS HERE TUSDAY!



Actual response: Someone mentioned that having Lark play, which would have the possibility that he show that he is good, would make the coaches look bad. I think this is probably on coaches' minds. If Lark gets action, it will be limited. I'm guessing Munns will be the backup next year, and a lot more reps will go to him during the easy games. I'm also hoping that nothing ridiculous happens with an injury. Watch JD, or some other key player who will actually be back next season get hurt. The injuries to the O-line, to Hill, ughh...please no more from here on out. As soon as we're up 2 TD's just throw in the future players, please. I feel confident our backups will contend with the Potatoe team just fine.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m04tl8mhU21qcywad.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI


Exposed - Dan Quayle is The Bibster


As it turns out - based on recent Bibster aka Quayle research -



The plural of Potato is Potatoes - Final Answer



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Except you went potatoe both times.


Cougarbib wrote:
Can we please focus this thread on potatoe week and all things potatoes.


Rather than lie and call the first one a typo - I must confess, I am old and steeped in tradition - so I used the old English spelling of the singular form - which admittedly - has fallen out of common use - except for when Dan Quayle and I use it.



He and I have other things in common. Neither of us have been or ever will be elected President.
M
Mingjai
Cougarbib wrote:
Rather than lie and call the first one a typo - I must confess, I am old and steeped in tradition - so I used the old English spelling of the singular form - which admittedly - has fallen out of common use - except for when Dan Quayle and I use it.


Do you still use gaol and tyre too?
S
Schmoe
You never go full potatoe! Haven't you seen "I am Sam?"
C
Cougarbib
True Stories. Indicative of my struggles with Potatoes.



I took the extended family to dinner at a restaurant near Ricks College when we went with my nephew's family to check out BYU Idaho - Oops, I nearly said Rick's College again. They were out of BAKED POTATOES. An entire state filled with spuds - and they were out.



I once interviewed for a job with Rogers's Foods - let me go check the spelling - whew - OK - no d -



They gave me the tour of their potato processing plant in Idaho Falls - showed me a big concrete bin of potatoes at the front of the process - filled with potatoes - some downright ugly and gnarly. I asked, "What do you do with the bad potatoes?"



The Answer: "There is no such thing as a bad potato."



By the time I finished the tour, I gained this wisdom:



Be wary of potato flour.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.