Archived Topic

Changes a comin - looming on the horizon

by byucougar1 · 10/31/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Holmoe fired a shot over the bow when he told Greg Wrubell on Monday, “There are some chemistry issues with some of the coaching staff as far as… how we do in games. And so much of winning and being a championship team are the intangibles, and sometimes you don’t know that these things are going to occur until you get into the thick of things.”



That comment has mirrored the speculation on CC and with the fans that despite the promises made about the team being the most competitive ever, there were some weaknesses demonstrated throughout the season regarding coaching and QB decision making and preparation of the OL that increased speculation that there could be some changes made to the coaching staff after the end of this season. Offensive line coach Mark Weber and offensive coordinator Brandon Doman have received the most criticism this season as BYU has sputtered on offense.



Holmoe also pointed out the struggles of Riley Nelson when he stated, “He has had some games this year where he has made mistakes that have cost us dearly, and he would be the first one to admit that.

Quarterback play is so important for BYU football, and for any team that wants to be a top-20 team, and Riley has done some great things for us through the years, but he’s had some struggles this year."



Holmoe’ comments indicate that he is disappointed with this season and recognizes that Cougar Nation also has some misgivings as well. He further explained, “It’s important for me in my position to help identify ways that they can get better and can correct things that are going wrong, and get them on a track where they all want to be.”



Based upon these comments, it appears that there will be some changes made, both to the coaching staff, as well as to how other things are handled in the program.



Given the OL performance, it seems likely that Weber will be gone after this season, and Doman will have to get the offense operating at the same level as the defense. Additionally, long-time assistant and current tight ends/assistant head coach Lance Reynolds may elect to retire as the TEs have still not broken out big-time as being viable threats although Friel is second in receiving yardage.



My guess is two new coaches and a reshaping of the offense to match what Doman would like to do rather than being limited to a simplified offense that can't take advantage of all the weapons available (ie Apo, Falslev, Lasike, Pritchard, M. Matthews) and installing West Coast Offense packages that utilize Hill's talents.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Don't take this wrong BYUcougar1 I usually really enjoy your insights but did you copy and paste this from the deep shades of blue article?
S
scott715
That was my thought too. You need to put the link in and not copy too much. I think the last paragraph was original.
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
Don't take this wrong BYUcougar1 I usually really enjoy your insights but did you copy and paste this from the deep shades of blue article?


And of course this would be ill advised? Balderdash? Inconceivable? DSB is so predictably off base. They defy reason. :roll:
C
Cougs_Rule
THe only off base insinuation was that this was merely "shot over the bow, by means of making comments in the press and therefore indirectly sending a message to BM and BD. he spoke with Bronco directly, count on it.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
Don't take this wrong BYUcougar1 I usually really enjoy your insights but did you copy and paste this from the deep shades of blue article?


And of course this would be ill advised? Balderdash? Inconceivable? DSB is so predictably off base. They defy reason. :roll:


Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I disagreed with byucougar1's comments or the deep shades of blue article from what I said above. Your criticism of me from what I said above is like a kid asking his mom for a piece of candy and having his head bit off for not cleaning his room. And this from the person who read a few wrubell tweets and came to the conclusion that Tom Holmoe had pulled Bronco into his office and told him the exact game plan that they needed to use to beat GT, without ever having listened to the interview.
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Don't take this wrong BYUcougar1 I usually really enjoy your insights but did you copy and paste this from the deep shades of blue article?


And of course this would be ill advised? Balderdash? Inconceivable? DSB is so predictably off base. They defy reason. :roll:


Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I disagreed with byucougar1's comments or the deep shades of blue article from what I said above. Your criticism of me from what I said above is like a kid asking his mom for a piece of candy and having his head bit off for not cleaning his room. And this from the person who read a few wrubell tweets and came to the conclusion that Tom Holmoe had pulled Bronco into his office and told him the exact game plan that they needed to use to beat GT, without ever having listened to the interview.


See, there's part of your problem. You misquote and have poor recollection. So unless you changed your position from yesterday, You would absolutely disagree with DSB, bc that is what I was suggesting yesterday.
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
Don't take this wrong BYUcougar1 I usually really enjoy your insights but did you copy and paste this from the deep shades of blue article?


And of course this would be ill advised? Balderdash? Inconceivable? DSB is so predictably off base. They defy reason. :roll:


Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I disagreed with byucougar1's comments or the deep shades of blue article from what I said above. Your criticism of me from what I said above is like a kid asking his mom for a piece of candy and having his head bit off for not cleaning his room. And this from the person who read a few wrubell tweets and came to the conclusion that Tom Holmoe had pulled Bronco into his office and told him the exact game plan that they needed to use to beat GT, without ever having listened to the interview.


See, there's part of your problem. You misquote and have poor recollection. So unless you changed your position from yesterday, You would absolutely disagree with DSB, bc that is what I was suggesting yesterday.


No, my position hasn't changed, you are reading into what I have said more than what is there just like you did with Tom holmoe's comments that you still have not heard first hand. I do not disagree that there could be coaching changes in the off season. Tom Holmoe never said that he is going to demand them. In the interview he said that Bronco usually already knows what BYU football's shortcommings are before Tom talks to him about them and already has the plan in place to fix them. You are the one that is coming to conclusions that aren't there.
C
Cougs_Rule
Do you have a reading disability? I'm seriously starting to understand you better. Please re-read my last post.
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
Do you have a reading disability? I'm seriously starting to understand you better. Please re-read my last post.


Go listen to the interview, it is on cougartracks on KSL.com. I am done commenting on you following me all over the board telling me what my opinions are. The Deep shades of blue article will also make more sense to you when you hear the interview. None of what you are concluding is in either the interview or the article. Until you have listened to the interview you are wrong in your opinion, period. You read a couple tweets from Wrubell and came to a conclusion. The tweets were slightly misleading because of how few words you have on twitter to make comments. I'm done with you until you do some due dilligence and listen to Tom Holmoe himself.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Quotes were taken from Wrubell interview with Holmie. Some observations were noted from DSB. Thoughts, Summary and conclusions were original but probably self evident.



For the third year in a row, CC posters have noticed the early season problems and were astounded about the lack of changes or adaptation to weakeneses. For example,

OL blocking terrible - First signs of trouble - Weber State stoping run and leveling hits on Riley - seriously hurting his back.

Riley playing hurt and poorly throwing passes/reluctant running - Utah, Boise State - should have inserted Hill sooner to give team a chance to win.

Absence of consistent passing to Hoffman, Apo, Falslev - we noticed it from BSU forward - ND/GT game brought out swing passes, shovel passes, short outs and WR screens or short timing passes to get ball to them quickly.

Introduction of Williams to run game - we noticed we had trouble hitting holes quickly and getting to outside edge. We saw glimpses of Williams speed but not put in enough plays nor given enough touches. Breakout games - ND/GT - finally started getting touches needed.

Falslev returning KOs - Sampson was not getting the ball out to the 25 and putting team in poor field position. Give credit to Coach Howell for Falslev insertion - I was thinking return of Hoffman.

I believe all of the aforementioned examples and more are what Holmoe was referring to when he said adjustments were needed and chemistry kept things from happening to correct what everyone else saw. Very curious as to what Holmoe suggests will be needed to make game time adjustments when things are not apparently going well but are self evident to everyone else.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
Quotes were taken from Wrubell interview with Holmie. Some observations were noted from DSB. Thoughts, Summary and conclusions were original but probably self evident.



For the third year in a row, CC posters have noticed the early season problems and were astounded about the lack of changes or adaptation to weakeneses. For example,

OL blocking terrible - First signs of trouble - Weber State stoping run and leveling hits on Riley - seriously hurting his back.

Riley playing hurt and poorly throwing passes/reluctant running - Utah, Boise State - should have inserted Hill sooner to give team a chance to win.

Absence of consistent passing to Hoffman, Apo, Falslev - we noticed it from BSU forward - ND/GT game brought out swing passes, shovel passes, short outs and WR screens or short timing passes to get ball to them quickly.

Introduction of Williams to run game - we noticed we had trouble hitting holes quickly and getting to outside edge. We saw glimpses of Williams speed but not put in enough plays nor given enough touches. Breakout games - ND/GT - finally started getting touches needed.

Falslev returning KOs - Sampson was not getting the ball out to the 25 and putting team in poor field position. Give credit to Coach Howell for Falslev insertion - I was thinking return of Hoffman.

I believe all of the aforementioned examples and more are what Holmoe was referring to when he said adjustments were needed and chemistry kept things from happening to correct what everyone else saw. Very curious as to what Holmoe suggests will be needed to make game time adjustments when things are not apparently going well but are self evident to everyone else.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You missed the part where he said some things cannot be fixed in the course of a season and that things are addressed with a longer term view and a work in progress going into next season.
B
byucougar1
Correct - that might be the attitude adjustment that seems to be necessary in order to use/play best players regardless of seniority.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
Correct - that might be the attitude adjustment that seems to be necessary in order to use/play best players regardless of seniority.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He specifically said that when players do not perform as well as coaches thought they would, you can't just snap your fingers and counsel them and see immediate change.
F
frdbtr
I wouldn't be suprised at all to see some coaching changes in the off season. I would love to see a legit Oline coach. I am not sure how I feel about Lance Reynolds leaving but it is probably time for him to retire. Bring in a legit inside recievers coach for the TE's though. I think it would be a shame to let Brandon Doman go at this time. I know there are others who don't think the same as me on that one though. I still think Brandon can develop into a very good ocoordinator.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
I wouldn't be suprised at all to see some coaching changes in the off season. I would love to see a legit Oline coach. I am not sure how I feel about Lance Reynolds leaving but it is probably time for him to retire. Bring in a legit inside recievers coach for the TE's though. I think it would be a shame to let Brandon Doman go at this time. I know there are others who don't think the same as me on that one though. I still think Brandon can develop into a very good ocoordinator.


Bronco and TH assess this AFTER every season. After 2010, offensive coaching staff overhauled. After 2011, no significant changes iirc. After 2012 - tough questions will be asked of some coaches.



But Holmoe's "All Good" comment re off-season changes is not referencing coaching changes - that would be a very poor comment to make in that context.



That does not mean there will not be coaching changes - it just means that this comment was about something else..
C
Cougarfan87
How about Chad Lewis for the OL/TE coach? I know he is great on the TE side, but could he coach the OL? I'm not up to speed on what they teach in the NFL, but as an NFL TE for many years, I'm sure he had to learn blocking schemes, right?



Lewis is a BYU guy through and through. I was happy to get his signature on my BYU helmet last Friday (as well as Ansah, Ogletree, and a few other current players). I was also thrilled to get Shad Hansen's signature. He seemed just as thrilled that I remembered who he was. He was a great Linebacker in the late 80's, about the same time Lewis played. Good memories. Anyway, that's what triggered the thought on Lewis as a TE/OL coach. It is not uncommon to lump those two positions together for coaching.



Then again, maybe we need to go with a coach experienced at coaching his position. The upside to allowing "BYU guys" to learn on the job is that they rarely leave the program.
B
byucougar1
"He specifically said that when players do not perform as well as coaches thought they would, you can't just snap your fingers and counsel them and see immediate change."



Bib - please provide further elaboration of your impression about this statement. I understand that some players take a longer time to develop and some may not have the skills to be starters or that they take longer to remove/eliminate bad habits. I wonder if he is inferring that when a player is not performing up to his potential, that finding a replacement is probably warranted while the other gets their act together or develops to the level of expectation. While this may be a reference to sticking with Riley as a starter while he was injured, it could also point to the fact that the Tushaus to Hansen move took too long to develop when it was obvious the opponents NT etc. were disrupting plays by driving the center into the backfield, or that Williams truly gave us a RB with breakaway, big play potential instead of 3 yards and cloud of dust or ineffective run game that allowed teams to load up backfield and shut down deep threat.



"All Good" comment inferring Y joining a conference (B12 or Big East) needs some legs as it has been quiet regarding that hype for a while. Do you have a source and in what context was it spoken?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
byucougar1 wrote:
"He specifically said that when players do not perform as well as coaches thought they would, you can't just snap your fingers and counsel them and see immediate change."



Bib - please provide further elaboration of your impression about this statement. I understand that some players take a longer time to develop and some may not have the skills to be starters or that they take longer to remove/eliminate bad habits. I wonder if he is IMPLYING that when a player is not performing up to his potential, that finding a replacement is probably warranted while the other gets their act together or develops to the level of expectation. While this may be a reference to sticking with Riley as a starter while he was injured, it could also point to the fact that the Tushaus to Hansen move took too long to develop when it was obvious the opponents NT etc. were disrupting plays by driving the center into the backfield, or that Williams truly gave us a RB with breakaway, big play potential instead of 3 yards and cloud of dust or ineffective run game that allowed teams to load up backfield and shut down deep threat.



"All Good" comment inferring Y joining a conference (B12 or Big East) needs some legs as it has been quiet regarding that hype for a while. Do you have a source and in what context was it spoken?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Cougarfan87 wrote:
How about Chad Lewis for the OL/TE coach? I know he is great on the TE side, but could he coach the OL? I'm not up to speed on what they teach in the NFL, but as an NFL TE for many years, I'm sure he had to learn blocking schemes, right?



Then again, maybe we need to go with a coach experienced at coaching his position. The upside to allowing "BYU guys" to learn on the job is that they rarely leave the program.


I would have to vote for getting an experienced coach in. I don't think BYU can afford to give a guy 2 or 3 years on the job training. Brandon Doman is likely fired next year if the offense doesn't improve, and one of the biggest weaknesses this year was the offensive line. It has to be better next year and I don't see how someone who's never coached before could step in and do that.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.