Archived Topic

Shake Up in 2013 Schedule

by 98BYUAlum · 10/30/2012

Advertisement
9
98BYUAlum
I just read this in the Deseret News:


Holmoe enjoyed chatting with the league's basketball coaches and other administrators at the event, but he is dealing with recent setbacks involving the 2013 football schedule.



"It's not even done," Holmoe told the Deseret News at the WCC meetings. "I've been working on games today."



Two contests that the Cougars were planning on for next season, including one that was already contracted, have fallen through recently, he said.


Anyone have any idea which games he is talking about? The rest of the article did not say.
B
beauso79
Doesn't look like Notre Dame will be coming to Provo anytime soon
G
Guest
beauso79 wrote:
Doesn't look like Notre Dame will be coming to Provo anytime soon


That's what really stood out to me and pissed me off.



Every single top caliber BCS team (or Notre Dame) ends up canceling the return trip to Provo.
S
scott715
The cancelled games had not been announced so we don't know who and probably will never know. If ND cancels half of the contract, fine. But if they want a 2 and done, no way. They can have a 1 and 1 or pay us millions of dollars for backing out of a trip to Provo.
E
EM_Puma
Am I missing something? I don't see where it states the issue is with any team specifically. I would generally guess it was one of the BCS teams coming to Provo, which breaks down to Utah, Texas or GA Tech. We're going to ND next season and I would think that would be a little less likely as teams don't usually get out of contracts where the team is coming to you. My guess would be that it is Texas, but at this time, isn't it just a guess? I'm kind of surprised to that the school involved hasn't yet disclosed the issue as they always seem to beat BYU to such announcements.



If it is a team where we were going to their place, then ND would be most likely as they have been in the cancelling mode since their agreement with the ACC.
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
ND wasn't scheduled to come to Provo for several years so it isn't ND. The teams were both scheduled for next year.
G
Guest
TH also said that after next year there will be a "big break" between games with Notre Dame and that he hopes that they will end up coming to play in Provo at some point. It was in a tweet if it wasn't in the story.
L
Lawboy
Idaho and Wazzu. Wazzu was a 2013 game in Pullman, and Idaho was a tentative game that is now not going to happen as Idaho posted their 2013 schedule last week with no BYU.
E
EM_Puma
I understood that the one team they thought they had sewed up with Ohio State, replacing the game they lost with Vanderbilt, and that was the one they thought was done, but they hadn't signed the papers on, now requiring TH to find someone else.



As to the other one, as I said, I would think it was some BCS team that was coming to Provo that now wants out.
9
98BYUAlum
Lawboy wrote:
Idaho and Wazzu. Wazzu was a 2013 game in Pullman, and Idaho was a tentative game that is now not going to happen as Idaho posted their 2013 schedule last week with no BYU.


I hope this is true. Losing Idaho wouldn't worry me at all.
Advertisement
S
scott715
So after OSU watched us play GA Tech, they backed out? I get it.



Also I checked Idaho's schedule and there were 11 games with one open with a BCS opponent 11/23/13. They play NMSU twice.
C
Cougarbib
I hope it is two road games with very tough opponents. Replace that with some MWC or WAC teams and maybe 2013 can be salvaged.



Big East - anyone?
E
EM_Puma
I'm just surprised that the team that has asked to be released has made not announcement since they obviously have now scheduled another game. I can't find any tidbits anywhere out there about who it is that walked.
C
Cougarbib
Interesting that this REAL and IMPORTANT issue is buried in a million speculative threads about what might have been, who is the Devil, and abs.



Looking for 2 games at this late stage is a real problem and embarrassing.



I fear this



We may end up without a game or two - now that would be exposure



More likely, in an effort to avoid that exposure -



We sign with a couple of teams looking to fill a home game - with or without a vague promise about some future games



Maybe TH will pull a Rabitt out of His butt .....I mean hat



I suggest Tom focus real hard on this issue and less about vague comments about the football coaching staff, Riley Nelson's costly mistakes, and problems that cannot be fixed this year.



The SOS in the next four games will fix everything that needs to be fixed this year.



Next year is the problem.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
Has the Utah game ever been finalized? Last I heard they were demanding we play the same week we have Boise State scheduled. I would think that game is as vulnerable as any as Chris Hill and Kwitt seem to have no interest to play it.



However, if I was them and my conference schedule was changing from Cal/Wasu to Stanford/Oregon I'd be canceling any game with a half decent opponent too. This year may turn out to be a good year for them for their in-conference record.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Stirfry wrote:
Has the Utah game ever been finalized? Last I heard they were demanding we play the same week we have Boise State scheduled. I would think that game is as vulnerable as any as Chris Hill and Kwitt seem to have no interest to play it.



However, if I was them and my conference schedule was changing from Cal/Wasu to Stanford/Oregon I'd be canceling any game with a half decent opponent too. This year may turn out to be a good year for them for their in-conference record.

It is all about SOS. Utah could win out. They are at the soft part of their schedule. Ask Cal. But I see U losing 1 or 2 more games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
The Holmoe interview said they have contracted a couple games so I'm assuming that means they filled the ones who backed out. Waiting for details....come on TH.
G
Gunk
Cougarbib wrote:
I hope it is two road games with very tough opponents. Replace that with some MWC or WAC teams and maybe 2013 can be salvaged.



Big East - anyone?


Seriously...
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
I hope it is two road games with very tough opponents. Replace that with some MWC or WAC teams and maybe 2013 can be salvaged.



Big East - anyone?


Seriously...




Close your eye. Pretend that BYU was in the Big East this year. Further pretend that instead of playing Weber State that we played UNLV - thus avoiding the RN Back injury. Imagine that this caused us to jettison OSU and ND due to conference conflicts.



What do you see? Let me help you.



BCS Bowl.
W
Wickchad
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
I hope it is two road games with very tough opponents. Replace that with some MWC or WAC teams and maybe 2013 can be salvaged.



Big East - anyone?


Seriously...




Close your eye. Pretend that BYU was in the Big East this year. Further pretend that instead of playing Weber State that we played UNLV - thus avoiding the RN Back injury. Imagine that this caused us to jettison OSU and ND due to conference conflicts.



What do you see? Let me help you.



BCS Bowl.


Close your eye, think back to how well Hawaii fared in their BCS game. Dumbing down your schedule to get into a BCS game and then getting your @ss kicked in the BCS game because you shouldn't have been there is not the way to go. I believe that we are a much better team for having played OSU and ND then we are had we played SDSU and Houston.



How is Riley any less likely to have hurt himself against UNLV than Weber State? For all we know Riley hurt his back in fall camp and never told anyone because he wanted to play.



By playing tougher competition we will become better. We aren't going to have the best season next year but I don't think we will have a losing season. The players and coaches all need to learn how to win tough games. Until this year they hadn't had more than one or two tough games a year.



As long as we don't lose the Texas, Utah, and Georgia Tech home games I don't think the schedule shake up hurts us that much. If we end up swaping a road game to WSU for a road game to Maryland I won't be disappointed. If we end up with to FCS teams coming to Provo to fill out a six game home schedule I will be pissed.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.