Archived Topic

Doman Has To Be Licking His Chops For - The Next 4 Games

by Cougarbib · 10/30/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SOS is going to make everyone and everything look much better. Everything, except maybe field goal kicking from distance or a bad angle. There won't be any need to kick one in two of those games - but maybe we will try a few just for kicks.



Every other player on the field is going to show incredible improvement. Simply incredible. Even Play calling is going to be brilliant in at least two of those.



Lark will look like he should have started the last three years in a couple of those games.



And Spiff should remind us



PER is PER



Munns - IDK.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
PER is PER.



But I want us to be well above average against these teams coming up.



For instance, our defense on average keeps opponents 10 points below their scorig average. But our scoring offense is only 5 points above average.



Our defense on average keeps opponents 19 points below their PER average. But our PER offense is four points below their PER defense average.



Our defense keeps opponents 87 yard below their average total offense. But our total offense is only 62 yards above average.



I'd like to see a little more dominant offense than we've seen.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
PER is PER.



But I want us to be well above average against these teams coming up.



For instance, our defense on average keeps opponents 10 points below their scorig average. But our scoring offense is only 5 points above average.



Our defense on average keeps opponents 19 points below their PER average. But our PER offense is four points below their PER defense average.



Our defense keeps opponents 87 yard below their average total offense. But our total offense is only 62 yards above average.



I'd like to see a little more dominant offense than we've seen.




I think everyone would like to see a more dominant offense. Quite frankly I would like to see an even more dominating defense like the seven ranked ahead if us. A more dominant kicking game would be nice. Not giving up 100 yard returns would be nice.



No doubt - the defense is the strength of this team. Partly because we have faced few potent offenses - faced more potent defenses. That is the reality.



You cannot claim SOS does not matter - just PER - and then act like the PER vs the cupcakes does not count.



This is why I liked the GT win. Our defense shut down a very good offense for the first time this season.



Defenses based on what I observed



5 good to outstanding ones - 1 or 2 better than ours



ND

Utah

USU

BSU

OSU



And 4 bad ones -



GT

Washington State

Hawaii

Weber State



Offenses



2 very good ones and 1 good one



GT

OSU

USU



And the rest mediocre to poor



Boise State

Utah

ND

Washington State



Hawaii

Weber State



Both offense and defense will look even better the rest of the way if OL and DL can avoid further injury.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
SOS is going to make everyone and everything look much better. Everything, except maybe field goal kicking from distance or a bad angle. There won't be any need to kick one in two of those games - but maybe we will try a few just for kicks.



Every other player on the field is going to show incredible improvement. Simply incredible. Even Play calling is going to be brilliant in at least two of those.



Lark will look like he should have started the last three years in a couple of those games.



And Spiff should remind us



PER is PER



Munns - IDK.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yawn.

I guess I might be just as guilty of a pet topic. But this really is getting old. And it stinks of continued excuse making for your buddy.
L
Lawboy
We have 3 easy wins coming up, possibly 4 with the bowl games. I have no problem with that since our first 9 games had 7 good/decent opponents. Just wish some of these 3 could have been sprinklied in with the tougher games.



What I want to see is that DOman has learned to staop calling QB draws or too many options runs. Some are ok with Williams being a legit threat to get outside, but limit them with more emphasis on finding ways to get touches for Williams, Hoff Apo and Friel--the playmakers on O. If Doman can show me he is comitted to that, I feel good about things. But if he reverts back to QB runs, then count me out.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
We have 3 easy wins coming up, possibly 4 with the bowl games. I have no problem with that since our first 9 games had 7 good/decent opponents. Just wish some of these 3 could have been sprinklied in with the tougher games.



What I want to see is that DOman has learned to staop calling QB draws or too many options runs. Some are ok with Williams being a legit threat to get outside, but limit them with more emphasis on finding ways to get touches for Williams, Hoff Apo and Friel--the playmakers on O. If Doman can show me he is comitted to that, I feel good about things. But if he reverts back to QB runs, then count me out.

What if Friel drops 3 in a row and Apo does not fight off defenders and go after tough catches? And yes - I did notice that Apo went after and made a tough catch for a huge gain vs GT. I have noticed that he has gotten a little more open the last two or three games.



It is time to see if Apo can dominate some inferior opponents about to be served up - like Hoff does even vs good defenses. If Apo ever delivers like Hoff delivers in traffic - then the duo becomes even more of a threat. And if Friel plays like he did vs WSU level defense now that the cake is baking - triple threat opens things up for Williams, Falslev, and whomever gets inserted at FB.



And if Nelson goes down practicing like 2010 injury started, or passing vs a lowly Idaho team like the 2011 injury, or however it was that lowly Weber State injured his back - Lark will look like a stud.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
You cannot claim SOS does not matter - just PER - and then act like the PER vs the cupcakes does not count.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Please point out where I have ever said PER vs. the cupcakes doesn't count.



I always want us to reach the 135 PER standard. That's why it's the standard. What I was showing is that even though our PER is struggling, we're also below our opponent's PER level.



Reaching the 135 PER standard would be great. But our opponents' PER is 124 without our game factored in. So we're even falling short of that level. If we're not going to be at the standard, getting at least to our opponents' PER would be a good start - which we're not even doing.



I've never said anything that you put in that sentence.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
You cannot claim SOS does not matter - just PER - and then act like the PER vs the cupcakes does not count.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Please point out where I have ever said PER vs. the cupcakes doesn't count.



I always want us to reach the 135 PER standard. That's why it's the standard. What I was showing is that even though our PER is struggling, we're also below our opponent's PER level.



Reaching the 135 PER standard would be great. But our opponents' PER is 124 without our game factored in. So we're even falling short of that level. If we're not going to be at the standard, getting at least to our opponents' PER would be a good start - which we're not even doing.



I've never said anything that you put in that sentence.


When you said you expected more than the standard 135 vs these weaker opponents I took it to mean that. When in a previous thread or two you called for Riley to be benched based on data including the two wounded duck outings - that seemed a little less objective than you usually are. Maybe you still feel that way. Although I really want to see Lark get more PT and even a shot if some kind - I am really glad Riley started the GT game.



It seemed that you joined the bandwagon of fans that wanted to hurry up and Judge and convict Riley based on our toughest competition and make sure he never saw the fruits of the easy schedule to even things out - adding insult to injury by never posting the PER and comparisons absent the wounded duck games.



I think that analysys would be interesting.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Don't wounded duck games still count? If he was that wounded he shouldn't have been playing in the first place.



Riley has still played in 13 halves this year and only reached the standard in just four of them.



I'm on the tablet right now, so let me know which games are the wounded duck games and I'll post that data in the morning. But going off my memory, I bet he is still well short of the standard.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Don't wounded duck games still count? If he was that wounded he shouldn't have been playing in the first place.



Riley has still played in 13 halves this year and only reached the standard in just four of them.



I'm on the tablet right now, so let me know which games are the wounded duck games and I'll post that data in the morning. But going off my memory, I bet he is still well short of the standard.




BSU would certainly be one. U as well. Also, UH and USU, but luckily the coaches had the sense not to subject him to any furthrt abuse - or I am sure he would have gone in.



He probably is below the standard - having just finished the toughest part of our schedule. I am kind of betting things are going to suddenly improve and raise the average PER.



Still not sure Nelson will stay healthy enough to enjoy the fruits of it - but next time he fractures his back or arm, I hope he and the coaches have the sense to give Lark or Munns or Kuresa a shot.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Riley's PER sans Boise St: 122.36.



He hasn't reached the standard since Weber. He still has only reached the standard in just one of his last 10 halves of play (after starting three for three).
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Riley's PER sans Boise St: 122.36.



He hasn't reached the standard since Weber. He still has only reached the standard in just one of his last 10 halves of play (after starting three for three).


I see a pattern. Riley, like every other player, does not play as well vs a good opposing force - defense in this case.



I feel a little uptick coming along very soon. Idaho and NMSU cannot possibly put up much resistance. There will be no holes to try to miraculously dig out of, no playing from behind, the OL will not be overmatched, very good running back to open up the passing game, receivers suddenly able to get separation, defenders less capable about closing to the ball, more YAC, etc. I see it coming.



SJSU has a decent offense. I have not yet researched them to see if the show much defense. Anyway, I am guessing that their defense will be more like Washington State and Georgia Tech than ND, U, BSU, and OSU.



Bowl opponent - that remains to be seen, but I assume it will be a lot like SJSU.



I, for one, am excited for the rest of this season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.