Archived Topic

OK vs ND

by frdbtr · 10/28/2012

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BYU played ND closer than OK did. And BYU was on the road at ND and ND was on the road at OK. BYU's offense scored two td's vs ND's d and OK wasn't able to do that. Riley Nelson may not have the passing stats that BYU fans have come to love in a QB but he moves the ball on offense against very tough defenses.
Y
Yndian
Sorry, didn't mean to steal your topic.
S
Schmoe
So, we're better than Oklahoma.
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
So, we're better than Oklahoma.

Imagine Okie fans. Senior QB. National respect. Lost to two Top 10 teams including getting ripped apart as ND tried to re-injure his mobile QB with called QB runs - at home badly.



I am not sure if Okie has any impressive wins.



We have not proven that we are better than Okie - we have just shown that we have a chance vs Top 10 teams playing their back-up QB.



This BYU team should be proud. With a lucky break or better execution, it could have been even better. BYU does not have an embarrassing loss - just four frustrating losses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Schmoe wrote:
So, we're better than Oklahoma.


I didn't say that. My point is, BYU fans need to lighten up a bit. We lost to 2 top 10 teams 2 weeks in a row and played them both tight. And yet you would have thought that we were th top 10 team that got beat by inferior talent by the way the fans have been going off on our coaches and players over the last couple of weeks. There are no moral victories, we still lost but I don't think that the sky is falling quite as bad as everyone has been whining about.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
frdbtr wrote:
So, we're better than Oklahoma.


I didn't say that. My point is, BYU fans need to lighten up a bit. We lost to 2 top 10 teams 2 weeks in a row and played them both tight. And yet you would have thought that we were th top 10 team that got beat by inferior talent by the way the fans have been going off on our coaches and players over the last couple of weeks. There are no moral victories, we still lost but I don't think that the sky is falling quite as bad as everyone has been whining about.


I didn't mean to say that that's what you were implying. I was just applying a little flawed logic to throw a couple more rays of sunshine on the season. I agree that the sky is falling routine around here has gotten old.
B
beauso79
frdbtr wrote:
BYU played ND closer than OK did. And BYU was on the road at ND and ND was on the road at OK. BYU's offense scored two td's vs ND's d and OK wasn't able to do that. Riley Nelson may not have the passing stats that BYU fans have come to love in a QB but he moves the ball on offense against very tough defenses.


Whatever you have to tell yourself "Riley"



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
So, we're better than Oklahoma.


I didn't say that. My point is, BYU fans need to lighten up a bit. We lost to 2 top 10 teams 2 weeks in a row and played them both tight. And yet you would have thought that we were th top 10 team that got beat by inferior talent by the way the fans have been going off on our coaches and players over the last couple of weeks. There are no moral victories, we still lost but I don't think that the sky is falling quite as bad as everyone has been whining about.


I didn't mean to say that that's what you were implying. I was just applying a little flawed logic to throw a couple more rays of sunshine on the season. I agree that the sky is falling routine around here has gotten old.


I said it in the My Thoughts thread--for this week at least we ARE better than OK.
C
Cougarbib
Now that USC has lost at home to Arizona and Robert Anae after losing to Stanford even on a day where USC shattered passing records - yeah - lighten up folks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
beauso79 wrote:
BYU played ND closer than OK did. And BYU was on the road at ND and ND was on the road at OK. BYU's offense scored two td's vs ND's d and OK wasn't able to do that. Riley Nelson may not have the passing stats that BYU fans have come to love in a QB but he moves the ball on offense against very tough defenses.


Whatever you have to tell yourself "Riley"



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I am officially going to change my name to Taysom next year right about the time fans start getting on him for sophomore mistakes.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Cougarbib wrote:
Now that USC has lost at home to Arizona and Robert Anae after losing to Stanford even on a day where USC shattered passing records - yeah - lighten up folks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I love it when USC loses. Ha ha ha!!! (Even though my brother got his Masters from USC)
M
mizzoucoug
frdbtr wrote:
So, we're better than Oklahoma.


I didn't say that. My point is, BYU fans need to lighten up a bit. We lost to 2 top 10 teams 2 weeks in a row and played them both tight. And yet you would have thought that we were th top 10 team that got beat by inferior talent by the way the fans have been going off on our coaches and players over the last couple of weeks. There are no moral victories, we still lost but I don't think that the sky is falling quite as bad as everyone has been whining about.


That has never been my take. I am only embarrassed by the Utah and BSU losses. I am proud of the fact that we are playing top 10 team so closely. As an independent we no longer have 1 game that is our super bowl every year. In the MWC any one of these games (including GT) would have been it and we would all be pumped up for that one game. I love the fact that we are now used to the big stage against top teams. This will pay off huge down the road.



That being said, this season has been a sham because Riley Nelson is one of the worst QB's to ever don a BYU uniform. With just an average QB we have, at most, 1 loss this year. That's why I am frustrated. We should be a BCS contender at this point.
C
Cougarbib
mizzoucoug wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
So, we're better than Oklahoma.


I didn't say that. My point is, BYU fans need to lighten up a bit. We lost to 2 top 10 teams 2 weeks in a row and played them both tight. And yet you would have thought that we were th top 10 team that got beat by inferior talent by the way the fans have been going off on our coaches and players over the last couple of weeks. There are no moral victories, we still lost but I don't think that the sky is falling quite as bad as everyone has been whining about.


That has never been my take. I am only embarrassed by the Utah and BSU losses. I am proud of the fact that we are playing top 10 team so closely. As an independent we no longer have 1 game that is our super bowl every year. In the MWC any one of these games (including GT) would have been it and we would all be pumped up for that one game. I love the fact that we are now used to the big stage against top teams. This will pay off huge down the road.



That being said, this season has been a sham because Riley Nelson is one of the worst QB's to ever don a BYU uniform. With just an average QB we have, at most, 1 loss this year. That's why I am frustrated. We should be a BCS contender at this point.


Yeah - other than that one weakness, we were an elite - BCS buster team for sure



Except for

A porous OL with no Center and no depth

No real Fullback

A pedestrian RB until Williams gained experience

A tight end with the dropsies vs good teams

Only 1 consistent WR

A kick-off returner taking ill-advised balls out of the end-zone and getting stopped well short of the 25

Horrible place kicking

KO return team giving up big returns instead of holding onto a lead

No back-up QB - ND, OSU, U, and USU had one

Injury depleted DL

Inconsistent DB play

A D that gave up big plays when a stop was needed

A D that was and is poor at creating turnovers

Poor clock management - wasted time-outs

Penalty prone - both sides of the ball



Other than that horrible Riley Nelson that just could not get it done with his fractured back, we were elite other than Riley and the couple of other things I mentioned



And a schedule that was over our head.



Next year should be much better for U

Riley will be gone

Ansah will be gone - maybe KVN or Hoffman too - although I would advise them to stay

Our entire depleted DL graduates

Seems like Tree is a senior

In fact, this is a senior laden team - all will be gone so all of that inexperienced talent on the bench will be good to go vs good teams - on the road more often than not due to stupid scheduling decisions - look at nationally ranked BSU with no losses other than the opener at Michigan State to see smart scheduling - they will move up to Top 15

But, we will have a bevy of still unproven tight ends, unproven full backs, one RB that looks very promising, pedestrian back-up RBs, no JD Falslev

Mostly the same coaches

No James Lark

Just Jason Munns and an injured sophomore with experience starting two games at home vs UH and USU



And an even more ridiculous schedule



Buckle Up



Things could be worse - ask Dorothy



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
beauso79
Sadly I agree - next year could be very BRUTAL.....I'd be more optimistic if Hill hadn't been injured and had spring ball to improve
N
nuk13
Cougarbib wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
So, we're better than Oklahoma.


I didn't say that. My point is, BYU fans need to lighten up a bit. We lost to 2 top 10 teams 2 weeks in a row and played them both tight. And yet you would have thought that we were th top 10 team that got beat by inferior talent by the way the fans have been going off on our coaches and players over the last couple of weeks. There are no moral victories, we still lost but I don't think that the sky is falling quite as bad as everyone has been whining about.


That has never been my take. I am only embarrassed by the Utah and BSU losses. I am proud of the fact that we are playing top 10 team so closely. As an independent we no longer have 1 game that is our super bowl every year. In the MWC any one of these games (including GT) would have been it and we would all be pumped up for that one game. I love the fact that we are now used to the big stage against top teams. This will pay off huge down the road.



That being said, this season has been a sham because Riley Nelson is one of the worst QB's to ever don a BYU uniform. With just an average QB we have, at most, 1 loss this year. That's why I am frustrated. We should be a BCS contender at this point.


Yeah - other than that one weakness, we were an elite - BCS buster team for sure



Except for

A porous OL with no Center and no depth

No real Fullback

A pedestrian RB until Williams gained experience

A tight end with the dropsies vs good teams

Only 1 consistent WR

A kick-off returner taking ill-advised balls out of the end-zone and getting stopped well short of the 25

Horrible place kicking

KO return team giving up big returns instead of holding onto a lead

No back-up QB - ND, OSU, U, and USU had one

Injury depleted DL

Inconsistent DB play

A D that gave up big plays when a stop was needed

A D that was and is poor at creating turnovers

Poor clock management - wasted time-outs

Penalty prone - both sides of the ball



Other than that horrible Riley Nelson that just could not get it done with his fractured back, we were elite other than Riley and the couple of other things I mentioned



And a schedule that was over our head.



Next year should be much better for U

Riley will be gone

Ansah will be gone - maybe KVN or Hoffman too - although I would advise them to stay

Our entire depleted DL graduates

Seems like Tree is a senior

In fact, this is a senior laden team - all will be gone so all of that inexperienced talent on the bench will be good to go vs good teams - on the road more often than not due to stupid scheduling decisions - look at nationally ranked BSU with no losses other than the opener at Michigan State to see smart scheduling - they will move up to Top 15

But, we will have a bevy of still unproven tight ends, unproven full backs, one RB that looks very promising, pedestrian back-up RBs, no JD Falslev

Mostly the same coaches

No James Lark

Just Jason Munns and an injured sophomore with experience starting two games at home vs UH and USU



And an even more ridiculous schedule



Buckle Up



Things could be worse - ask Dorothy



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


What happened to "Positive comments only" Mizzou? That was great and you put it on before the very good win. Now you come out with "Riley Nelson is one of the worst qbs to ever don a BYU uniform". Why not try to retain some of your refreshing positiveness? I agree with your list Bib. I'd loved to have won those close games which may have helped us past OSU's top 10 team as well as Notre Dame. There are multiple reasons why we didn't. I refuse to put it on 1 or 2 players and 1 or 2 coaches. There are still some good games and wins to come from this team.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
beauso79 wrote:
Sadly I agree - next year could be very BRUTAL.....I'd be more optimistic if Hill hadn't been injured and had spring ball to improve

In addition to Spring Ball, he would likely have gotten the 2nd half of at least the next two games and Wildcat in every game since his injury. That was a tough break for him and for the 2013 Cougars.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I hope they push back spring ball late enought to allow Hill to participate. It does little good to do it without your QB.
M
mizzoucoug
nuk13 wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
So, we're better than Oklahoma.


I didn't say that. My point is, BYU fans need to lighten up a bit. We lost to 2 top 10 teams 2 weeks in a row and played them both tight. And yet you would have thought that we were th top 10 team that got beat by inferior talent by the way the fans have been going off on our coaches and players over the last couple of weeks. There are no moral victories, we still lost but I don't think that the sky is falling quite as bad as everyone has been whining about.


That has never been my take. I am only embarrassed by the Utah and BSU losses. I am proud of the fact that we are playing top 10 team so closely. As an independent we no longer have 1 game that is our super bowl every year. In the MWC any one of these games (including GT) would have been it and we would all be pumped up for that one game. I love the fact that we are now used to the big stage against top teams. This will pay off huge down the road.



That being said, this season has been a sham because Riley Nelson is one of the worst QB's to ever don a BYU uniform. With just an average QB we have, at most, 1 loss this year. That's why I am frustrated. We should be a BCS contender at this point.


Yeah - other than that one weakness, we were an elite - BCS buster team for sure



Except for

A porous OL with no Center and no depth

No real Fullback

A pedestrian RB until Williams gained experience

A tight end with the dropsies vs good teams

Only 1 consistent WR

A kick-off returner taking ill-advised balls out of the end-zone and getting stopped well short of the 25

Horrible place kicking

KO return team giving up big returns instead of holding onto a lead

No back-up QB - ND, OSU, U, and USU had one

Injury depleted DL

Inconsistent DB play

A D that gave up big plays when a stop was needed

A D that was and is poor at creating turnovers

Poor clock management - wasted time-outs

Penalty prone - both sides of the ball



Other than that horrible Riley Nelson that just could not get it done with his fractured back, we were elite other than Riley and the couple of other things I mentioned



And a schedule that was over our head.



Next year should be much better for U

Riley will be gone

Ansah will be gone - maybe KVN or Hoffman too - although I would advise them to stay

Our entire depleted DL graduates

Seems like Tree is a senior

In fact, this is a senior laden team - all will be gone so all of that inexperienced talent on the bench will be good to go vs good teams - on the road more often than not due to stupid scheduling decisions - look at nationally ranked BSU with no losses other than the opener at Michigan State to see smart scheduling - they will move up to Top 15

But, we will have a bevy of still unproven tight ends, unproven full backs, one RB that looks very promising, pedestrian back-up RBs, no JD Falslev

Mostly the same coaches

No James Lark

Just Jason Munns and an injured sophomore with experience starting two games at home vs UH and USU



And an even more ridiculous schedule



Buckle Up



Things could be worse - ask Dorothy



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


What happened to "Positive comments only" Mizzou? That was great and you put it on before the very good win. Now you come out with "Riley Nelson is one of the worst qbs to ever don a BYU uniform". Why not try to retain some of your refreshing positiveness? I agree with your list Bib. I'd loved to have won those close games which may have helped us past OSU's top 10 team as well as Notre Dame. There are multiple reasons why we didn't. I refuse to put it on 1 or 2 players and 1 or 2 coaches. There are still some good games and wins to come from this team.


Sorry, positivity was meant to be confined to that thread alone. 8)



Don't get me wrong there are plenty of weaknesses on the team, but Riley is clearly the greatest weakness. He can't go deep, which is why we run the predictably weak dink and dunk O. His scrambling ability hides the fact that he can't make the downfield throws. I sure love his grit, but we needed a QB this season, not Taylor Martinez lite.
M
Mars
mizzoucoug wrote:
Don't get me wrong there are plenty of weaknesses on the team, but Riley is clearly the greatest weakness. He can't go deep, which is why we run the predictably weak dink and dunk O.

To be fair, even when we had John Beck and Max Hall, BYU mostly ran a dink-n-dunk offense under Robert Anae.
I
Irish Cougar
Ddawg wrote:
Now that USC has lost at home to Arizona and Robert Anae after losing to Stanford even on a day where USC shattered passing records - yeah - lighten up folks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I love it when USC loses. Ha ha ha!!! (Even though my brother got his Masters from USC)


ME TOO! Unfortunatley I need USC to be good to help SOS of ND and to beat Oregon so they don't leap frog us.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.