Archived Topic

The kicking game

by Airwolf1984 · 10/26/2012

Advertisement
A
Airwolf1984
So what does Bronco do if it's 4th and long at the opposing team's 15-25 yard line from here on out? Does he simply go for it or take his chances with the kicking game and place trust in his kicker who can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn right now?
I
IowaCougar
That's a tough one - that attempt in the ND game - I don't think it would have been good if the only requirement was that it stayed in-bounds.
S
SpiffCoug
Hopefully, he will use 3rd down to get part of the yards so they're not in 4th and Long. I wouldn't kick another FG this season - unless I absolutely had to. Once BYU crosses the 40, they should use all four downs to get the first and play call accordingly. A play on 3rd & 7 doesn't have to get all 7, but it should get at least 4.
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
Hopefully, he will use 3rd down to get part of the yards so they're not in 4th and Long. I wouldn't kick another FG this season - unless I absolutely had to. Once BYU crosses the 40, they should use all four downs to get the first and play call accordingly. A play on 3rd & 7 doesn't have to get all 7, but it should get at least 4.


Sort of agree.



I agree we should just play like we have 4 downs the moment we cross the 40.



However, if we get in a 4th and long situation where we need anything more than 7 yards for a 1st down I say we go for the FG. Why? Because BYU stinks at getting anything more than 10 yards.



I'd wager it's at least on par with our kicking game. We don't have the OL to buy Riley enough time to make a long throw, Riley has a history of poor decisions when under pressure, our TE can't catch anything so you can rule out a play across the middle, and on long situations Doman for whatever reason likes to pass it out to the flats.



Kick the ball. The odds are better.
M
Mars
flowriA1984 wrote:
So what does Bronco do if it's 4th and long at the opposing team's 15-25 yard line from here on out?

I'm guessing that he calls a time out. Then the offense comes out and gets a delay of game penalty. And then he punts the ball, into the endzone. That's my guess.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.