Archived Topic

It's A Team Sport

by BoiseBYU · 10/24/2012

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
For better or worse, the QB gets the credit when things are going well and the blame when they are not (sort of like Presidents and the economy by the way) even though so much of their success depends upon a number of other factors--receivers catching; runners running; and linemen blocking. This year, I've been pleased with our runners. Our receivers have dropped a number and our OLine has been less than subpar. That performance too affects the QB. So I know we want to find and focus our wrath on Riley (and I am NOT excusing his own subpar performance) but we cannot avoid the fact that some of his struggles are because his team mates are equally struggling too.
F
frdbtr
BoiseBYU wrote:
For better or worse, the QB gets the credit when things are going well and the blame when they are not (sort of like Presidents and the economy by the way) even though so much of their success depends upon a number of other factors--receivers catching; runners running; and linemen blocking. This year, I've been pleased with our runners. Our receivers have dropped a number and our OLine has been less than subpar. That performance too affects the QB. So I know we want to find and focus our wrath on Riley (and I am NOT excusing his own subpar performance) but we cannot avoid the fact that some of his struggles are because his team mates are equally struggling too.


I agree with this, I would put most of our offensive issues this year on the Oline. Like I have posted multiple times "is Jeff Grimes available?". Of course he is probably not but what about Wong, or does anyone know of another oline coach that has the track record that Grimes had. With an adequate Oline, we run a totally different offense than we are right now.
S
Schmoe
Well stated. I also think, while openly admitting that Riley has been supbar and far from ideal, some are being deceitful by judging him purely on PER when he does make plays happen with his feet. If you counted his rushes as completed passes, I bet he still doesn't sniff the 137 (or whatever) standard, but probably doesn't look AS bad as some are making him out to be. You can't deny that he does create with his legs.
C
Cougs_Rule
Funny, I didn't hear him apologize publicly to his TEAM. I have heard the D apologize for far fewer failings.

Things I have heard Riley say--



I'm not changing.

I'm not taking myself out.

Its no ones fault.



We hung the Failures of this team on one Sophomores back and ran him out of town but can't put the failures on a Senior QBs back?? That's what is wrong with this team.
B
BoiseBYU
dmcougar wrote:
Funny, I didn't hear him apologize publicly to his TEAM. I have heard the D apologize for far fewer failings.

Things I have heard Riley say--



I'm not changing.

I'm not taking myself out.

Its no ones fault.



We hung the Failures of this team on one Sophomores back and ran him out of town but can't put the failures on a Senior QBs back?? That's what is wrong with this team.


Whatever Riley has said or has not said that dissatisfies you, that says nothing about the fact that football is a team sport. It was a team sport for Jake and it will be for Taysom. And if the OLine does not get better, well, we could have Ty Detmer II back there and we will still be gnashing our teeth.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
Funny, I didn't hear him apologize publicly to his TEAM. I have heard the D apologize for far fewer failings.

Things I have heard Riley say--



I'm not changing.

I'm not taking myself out.

Its no ones fault.



We hung the Failures of this team on one Sophomores back and ran him out of town but can't put the failures on a Senior QBs back?? That's what is wrong with this team.


No one ran heaps out of town. He left on his own, as soon as the plane landed from the hawaii trip. In fact, most of the fan talk was to have him redshirt and come back a better QB for 2013.
B
BoiseBYU
frdbtr wrote:
Funny, I didn't hear him apologize publicly to his TEAM. I have heard the D apologize for far fewer failings.

Things I have heard Riley say--



I'm not changing.

I'm not taking myself out.

Its no ones fault.



We hung the Failures of this team on one Sophomores back and ran him out of town but can't put the failures on a Senior QBs back?? That's what is wrong with this team.


No one ran heaps out of town. He left on his own, as soon as the plane landed from the hawaii trip. In fact, most of the fan talk was to have him redshirt and come back a better QB for 2013.


Oh I thought he was talking about Drew Miller!
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Funny, I didn't hear him apologize publicly to his TEAM. I have heard the D apologize for far fewer failings.

Things I have heard Riley say--



I'm not changing.

I'm not taking myself out.

Its no ones fault.



We hung the Failures of this team on one Sophomores back and ran him out of town but can't put the failures on a Senior QBs back?? That's what is wrong with this team.


Sorry DM. You cannot rewrite history. Jake Hesps certainly did not QUIT because of fan support or the lack thereof. He did not get run out of town by coaches - he was invited back. His teammates did not like him. But he quit and didn't even finish the season - because in his never-ending impatience, he thought it was in his best interest. I do not blame Jake for doing what he felt was In his best interest - I just believe he was wrong about what was in his best interest. He would have been starting week 3.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
That's why I think all wrath should be directed towards Doman and Bronco.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Irish Cougar
BoiseBYU wrote:
For better or worse, the QB gets the credit when things are going well and the blame when they are not (sort of like Presidents and the economy by the way) even though so much of their success depends upon a number of other factors--receivers catching; runners running; and linemen blocking. This year, I've been pleased with our runners. Our receivers have dropped a number and our OLine has been less than subpar. That performance too affects the QB. So I know we want to find and focus our wrath on Riley (and I am NOT excusing his own subpar performance) but we cannot avoid the fact that some of his struggles are because his team mates are equally struggling too.


Agreed. BYU's problems are much deeper than Riley, the o-line stinks, we can't make a FG and offensive play calling (although improving) is bad.



Riley missed opportunities Saturday, but any game any team can point to a few plays that could change the game. That is the way the game goes....not all Riley, although he is not great.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I saw an Oline and a team quit on heaps and quit on themselves. That's not rewriting history. And while probably necessary that Rley came n to save the day.



Lets refocus on that. I can't tell which is larger; Riley's "leadership or Rileys self-interest.

And while some of you practically spit on Heaps on his way out of town, you tolerate far more from a Sr qb.
B
BoiseBYU
dmcougar wrote:
I saw an Oline and a team quit on heaps and quit on themselves. That's not rewriting history. And while probably necessary that Rley came n to save the day.



Lets refocus on that. I can't tell which is larger; Riley's "leadership or Rileys self-interest.

And while some of you practically spit on Heaps on his way out of town, you tolerate far more from a Sr qb.


If you want to refocus on that, there's a boatload of threads to avail yourself of. I wanted to focus on the team aspect as it relates to the success or failure of the QB. You want to bash Riley some more. I'd hope this thread could be different. For me I remember pointing out that the receivers were not helping Heaps with so many drops. It is a team sport
C
Cougs_Rule
Fair enough. No question an improved Oline would have changed much for both.
S
SpiffCoug
For the most part, BYU has both won and lost as a team this year. Both sides of the ball have players who should have made plays that didn't. Both sides have contributed to losses.



Every position group could have done more than they have so far.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.