Archived Topic

Cougars attempted to take Ohio St's open game in 2013

by Fido · 10/24/2012

Advertisement
F
Fido
http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/10/report-ohio-state-host-san-diego-state-in-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Apparently Ohio State and BYU tried to work something out to fill their open game @ Ohio State in 2013 after Vanderbilt cancelled. But with 6 road games already on the schedule they couldn't reach an agreement. I wonder if this it what has held up release of next year's complete schedule.



Now it looks like SDSU is going to change to accomodate--potentially dropping their game with either USU or SJSU.
C
Cougarbib
Fido wrote:
http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/10/report-ohio-state-host-san-diego-state-in-2013/



Apparently Ohio State and BYU tried to work something out to fill their open game @ Ohio State in 2013 after Vanderbilt cancelled. But with 6 road games already on the schedule they couldn't reach an agreement. I wonder if this it what has held up release of next year's complete schedule.



Now it looks like SDSU is going to change to accomodate--potentially dropping their game with either USU or SJSU.


Next year would have been a perfect time to schedule this - already a lost season - maybe it Would have made it even clearer how foolish it is for BYU to play a top-heavy schedule and even stupider to give away home field advantage.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
I can only hope a game is never worked out. I have endured two other games (bowl games) between the two and it's not enjoyable--for me. I always want BYU to win, but I don't want to see the Buckeyes lose. It would have been a one-and-done anyhow.
C
Cougs_Rule
Have to agree with BIB. Tis would be the equivalent of Riley Nelson brand of scheduling: keep running into bigger "Guys" trying to prove that you can play with the big boys only to get injured and be found sorely (pun intended) lacking.

I'm sure Meyer would have been licking his chops.
F
Fido
dmcougar wrote:
Have to agree with BIB. Tis would be the equivalent of Riley Nelson brand of scheduling: keep running into bigger "Guys" trying to prove that you can play with the big boys only to get injured and be found sorely (pun intended) lacking.

I'm sure Meyer would have been licking his chops.

Hmm....I don't think BYU should have taken the 2013 game due to the strength of schedule already there--but I do think scheduling tougher against the big 5-type teams is the only way to stay relevant. As disappointing as this year has been they played close with 2 top 10 teams. With a tougher schedule you lose more games but winning against crappy teams doesn't do anything for anyone. If you want to be a big fish in the MWC/CUSA/WAC pond then consider yourself irrelevant already.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Fido wrote:
Have to agree with BIB. Tis would be the equivalent of Riley Nelson brand of scheduling: keep running into bigger "Guys" trying to prove that you can play with the big boys only to get injured and be found sorely (pun intended) lacking.

I'm sure Meyer would have been licking his chops.

Hmm....I don't think BYU should have taken the 2013 game due to the strength of schedule already there--but I do think scheduling tougher against the big 5-type teams is the only way to stay relevant. As disappointing as this year has been they played close with 2 top 10 teams. With a tougher schedule you lose more games but winning against crappy teams doesn't do anything for anyone. If you want to be a big fish in the MWC/CUSA/WAC pond then consider yourself irrelevant already.


Yup. I believe in one of Bronco's recent quotes he said something about welcoming all-comers--meaning that BYU was going to schedule as many quality games as possible. I think Bronco doesn't get much out of beating the cupcakes either, which is why he enjoys this year's schedule so much.



I think you need at least four beatable teams, six 50/50 games against quality opponents, and two high profile games. While you wouldn't easily get a 10 win season, if you did get one it would mean something. I haven't gotten a lot of satisfaction out of some of our 10 win seasons. This year was much more fun to follow than last year, even though our win total this year will not be the same.



The only way to stay relevant is to schedule up and win. You can schedule down and win, and you still won't be relevant. You can schedule up and lose, and still not be relevant. But if you schedule up and are constantly bowl eligible, with 10 win seasons every few years, you will be relevant when it matters. If BYU continues this tradition and is even marginally successful, BYU will continue to garner national attention and be treated like a BCS team.



I think one thing is keeping that from happening right now--an exciting offense to watch. Right now, the offense is not very exciting to watch. If that improves, and Bronco can sustain the defensive intensity, we should have some very special years in the future.
E
EM_Puma
I agree with the thought that I'd rather have a lower win/loss percentage than to play a pallate of MWC/WAC/CUSA teams. It's been a very disappointing season, but the one positive was the opportunity to play two teams ranked in the top 10, not including 3 other BCS conference teams, plus Boise St. After this week, it's very disappointing to now think that we only have ISU, NMS and SJS left. Really hard to get excited about that.



I honestly don't know how this will turn out as far as recruiting going and prospects knowing that they will have a chance to play some key opponents. It's not exaclty the same as being in a BCS conference, but it's better than being in our former conferences.
I
Irish Cougar
I would love to see this happen, I want to see BYU beat these guys. I have been to many games and only worse fans are LSU. Arrogant, foul mouthed, etc etc, maybe I was just around a HUGE group of a bad sample fans....they were bad.



Note: no offense to any OSU fans, I am sure you are great people.
J
JamieVallen
Irish Cougar wrote:
I would love to see this happen, I want to see BYU beat these guys. I have been to many games and only worse fans are LSU. Arrogant, foul mouthed, etc etc, maybe I was just around a HUGE group of a bad sample fans....they were bad.



Note: no offense to any OSU fans, I am sure you are great people.

You have offended me sir, The Ohio State is the most classy fan base ever how dare you?!? ;) but I get what you're saying. I haven't lived in Ohio since I was a kid, but I understand that there is a hate for most other midwest schools. Although I often feel like Ohio St. becomes a scapegoat of hatred for other schools in the area and around the country (Jealous much?... Just kidding :D ), but that's not to say there probably aren't a lot of Ohio St. fans that give us a bad name, it is a big time program with a big time fan base, that has seen some success over the years (Also some major letdown's i.e. LSU and Florida in the BCS Natl. Championship game).
C
Cougarbib
JamieVallen wrote:
I would love to see this happen, I want to see BYU beat these guys. I have been to many games and only worse fans are LSU. Arrogant, foul mouthed, etc etc, maybe I was just around a HUGE group of a bad sample fans....they were bad.



Note: no offense to any OSU fans, I am sure you are great people.

You have offended me sir, The Ohio State is the most classy fan base ever how dare you?!? ;) but I get what you're saying. I haven't lived in Ohio since I was a kid, but I understand that there is a hate for most other midwest schools. Although I often feel like Ohio St. becomes a scapegoat of hatred for other schools in the area and around the country (Jealous much?... Just kidding :D ), but that's not to say there probably aren't a lot of Ohio St. fans that give us a bad name, it is a big time program with a big time fan base, that has seen some success over the years (Also some major letdown's i.e. LSU and Florida in the BCS Natl. Championship game).


I am happy to play Ohio State home and away as often as they are willing. One and done is stupid - only little brother does 1 and done.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
Fido
I still see there being 1 and done games that are valuable in establishing a relationship or playing in a high profile game but this game doesn't work since the schedule is already full. If they fit then great. But not to buy out an opponent to take this one and done.
C
Cougy_Monster
Cougarfan87 wrote:


The only way to stay relevant is to schedule up and win. You can schedule down and win, and you still won't be relevant. You can schedule up and lose, and still not be relevant. But if you schedule up and are constantly bowl eligible, with 10 win seasons every few years, you will be relevant when it matters. If BYU continues this tradition and is even marginally successful, BYU will continue to garner national attention and be treated like a BCS team.


I agree with this statement in general, however the problem BYU is having currently is that for whatever reasons (maybe the reasons are totally legitimate and unavoidable) TH keeps scheduling 1-and-done's and 2-for-1's with bcs opponents. Home field advantage is HUGE in college football, and pretty much all sports. There is a reason, besides just $$$, that Big10 and SEC teams (and to some extent all BCS teams) RARELY IF EVER schedule out of conference away games.



If you had these supposedly "great" bcs teams schedule lopsided 2-for-1 series in BYU's favor we would probably start to see BYU winning a lot more of these games and getting the respect we crave.



But it's a catch-22. We cant (apparently) schedule 1-for-1 series without more national respect. And we can't get this wanted respect without beating more bcs teams, which we simply won't do with series like our 4-2 series with Notre Dame. Does anyone really think we can have a winning record or even go 3-3 against Notre Dame while playing 4 of the 6 games in South Bend? Home field is so important that all professional playoffs have the teams EARN home field playoff advantage in the regular season. And yet TH just hands away home field advantage to anybody, even schools like Wisconsin that are good but come on.....



With this current strategy BYU will continue to have a losing record against bcs teams. In fact, most good bcs teams even have losing records on the road against other good bcs teams. That's just a fact of sports.



Frankly I'd like TH to stick to his previous statements that there are maybe 5 teams that we will schedule 2-for-1's with and nobody ever gets a 1-and-done. Those 5 teams are ND, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma and either Ohio St or Michigan. Otherwise I'd be ok with a 1-and-1 with a neutral field, as long as the neutral field is not in the same state as the home team. It doesn't have to be super close to Provo since there are LDS BYU fans all over. I'd even accept a series with Wisconsin that is home-and-home and then a neutral site at Soldier Field in Chicago. Even though thats only a 2 hour drive for Badger fans I still think BYU would match their attendance if ticket sales were split 50:50.



Better yet would be if BYU could contract for a yearly game in Cowboys Stadium as a yearly neutral site game with teams from all over. So we could do 1-and-1 and Cowboy stadium with Georgia or Boston College or whomever. I think most teams would view it as a great recruiting opportunity in Texas and it could be like a mid-season bowl game with the kind of payout teams would get for playing there in a primetime game.
F
Fido
BYU just doesn't have that type of prestige. Those teams aren't just handing out 1:1s to just anyone who wants it. If you go in with those kinds of demands you won't get a schedule together. It might work out on occasion but you need 12 games a year and are starting out 5-6 years behind where everyone else's OOC schedules are. The goal is to have it improve over time.
C
Cougarbib
Fido wrote:
BYU just doesn't have that type of prestige. Those teams aren't just handing out 1:1s to just anyone who wants it. If you go in with those kinds of demands you won't get a schedule together. It might work out on occasion but you need 12 games a year and are starting out 5-6 years behind where everyone else's OOC schedules are. The goal is to have it improve over time.

And yet - U played themselves right into two BCS Bowls and PAC 12 without bending over for anyone - ditto TCU and the Big 12, and even lowly BSU only did 1 or 2 of these and became a national phenomenon. Ranked again this year after their impressive 1-point home field win over BYU and absolutely nobody else of importance. If they were a real school academically, decent in other sports, had any money, and were not in the middle of a potatoe field - they would be in PAC or Big12 - but, alas, that requires more than a good football team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Irish Cougar
JamieVallen wrote:
I would love to see this happen, I want to see BYU beat these guys. I have been to many games and only worse fans are LSU. Arrogant, foul mouthed, etc etc, maybe I was just around a HUGE group of a bad sample fans....they were bad.



Note: no offense to any OSU fans, I am sure you are great people.

You have offended me sir, The Ohio State is the most classy fan base ever how dare you?!? ;) but I get what you're saying. I haven't lived in Ohio since I was a kid, but I understand that there is a hate for most other midwest schools. Although I often feel like Ohio St. becomes a scapegoat of hatred for other schools in the area and around the country (Jealous much?... Just kidding :D ), but that's not to say there probably aren't a lot of Ohio St. fans that give us a bad name, it is a big time program with a big time fan base, that has seen some success over the years (Also some major letdown's i.e. LSU and Florida in the BCS Natl. Championship game).


My only experience with them is the 2006 Fiesta Bowl. They were not the classiest of people.....flipping the bird when ND entered the field, telling us to "f - off" when we cheered.....very odd and irrational people. It was not one or two, it was a lot of people. Maybe it was just me, but not a great environment....especially in front of kids (theirs). That being said I had no opinion prior to them.....they reminded me of the "Walmart Wolverine" fans but worse. Again, could have just been a bad subset.



LSU fans take the cake. I was sworn at by women, children and men. I was with a group of LDS ND fans at the Sugar Bowl. I 40'ish old woman who looked normal walked up to my friend on the street only wearing ND gear, he had said nothing to them, and whipped him in the face with beads.....we were all stunned.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.