Archived Topic

Teo seemed to take it personal

by Wickchad · 10/22/2012

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
It seemed that Manti Teo really took the BYU game personally. The commentators told the story about the Teo family indicated that this was the only game they cared about winning. For the last snap the camera showed Teo urgently talking his coach into letting him go out as the deep man in the victory formation. To see a defensive player lobbying to go on the field for the last offensive snap shows that there really is something deep between Teo and BYU. I found it kind of interesting. You would think that after four years there would have been enough water under the bridge for whatever happened during recruiting to not be that close to the surface for him. Makes you wonder if part of his decision to not go to the NFL last year was the chance to play BYU this year.
C
Cougs_Rule
Agreed. Maybe he is cousins with Vai. Maybe this is also contributes to Vai's emotional constipation.

Still, happy for him given his family losses and record of service, notwithstanding his alleged use of alcohol.

And besides, Not like BYU hasn't messed up with other top recruits.
C
Cougs_Rule
Agreed. Maybe he is cousins with Vai. Maybe this is also contributes to Vai's emotional constipation.

Still, happy for him given his family losses and record of service, notwithstanding his alleged use of alcohol.

And besides, Not like BYU hasn't messed up with other top recruits.
C
Cougs_Rule
Agreed. Maybe he is cousins with Vai. Maybe this is also contributes to Vai's emotional constipation.

Still, happy for him given his family losses and record of service, notwithstanding his alleged use of alcohol.

And besides, Not like BYU hasn't messed up with other top recruits.
M
Mingjai
I don't blame Te'o or his family at all, if it were me and a coach who had been recruiting me said what Mendenhall said about me afterwards, I'd have a chip on my shoulder. I don't care who you are or what you've done in the past--for Mendenhall to publicly imply that honor code had anything to do with the choice would be personally insulting. Even if as a recruit I told the coaches that the honor code was a specific concern contributing to my decision, I'd expect them to hold that in confidence.



For those who don't remember, Bronco's comments about Manti Te'o chosing Notre Dame:


I am going to try to stereotype as best I can, so I protect their family and BYU. Usually when a young man who is LDS -- a member of our church -- has things presented as clearly as he had it presented to him and choses not to come, there usually is a reason they don't want to come.



And it is usually not football-related. And so Manti chose a private institution, with a religious background without truly the same semblance of rules, or an honor code, like BYU has. It would be great if we don't go into specifics, but my guess is there was something that he didn't want about BYU, and chose elsewhere. And that's OK.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I honestly do not care about it. Kid made his choices, and BYU is not the only school he said no to.



In high school, he played for Kahuku, as is he is north island boy. But then he got the chance to go to Punahou in Honolulu, sl left Kahuku.



Had a chance to come to BYU, stuff happened on his trip (yes it did), and he ended up at ND. He also said no to USC.



Water under the bridge, but if he has a grudge, it is of his own doing and he needs to get over it. Same with Vai. Makes people look petty.
G
Gunk
Lawboy wrote:
I honestly do not care about it. Kid made his choices, and BYU is not the only school he said no to.



In high school, he played for Kahuku, as is he is north island boy. But then he got the chance to go to Punahou in Honolulu, sl left Kahuku.



Had a chance to come to BYU, stuff happened on his trip (yes it did), and he ended up at ND. He also said no to USC.



Water under the bridge, but if he has a grudge, it is of his own doing and he needs to get over it. Same with Vai. Makes people look petty.


I'm with you on this.



Teo clearly didn't want to go to BYU and all signs point towards his unwillingness to abide by the Honor Code. If he holds a grudge for that, that's his problem.



I think Bronco's comments were spot on and don't really see anything wrong with them. Could Bronco had toned them down a bit, perhaps but Bronco didn't say anything that wasn't true. We don't want players at BYU that aren't willing to live or at least try to live the Honor Code.



Teo reminds me of the students that don't make it into BYU, take it personally, and then make a sincere effort to express their disdain for BYU at every opportunity.
J
jonnylingo
Mingjai wrote:
I don't blame Te'o or his family at all, if it were me and a coach who had been recruiting me said what Mendenhall said about me afterwards, I'd have a chip on my shoulder. I don't care who you are or what you've done in the past--for Mendenhall to publicly imply that honor code had anything to do with the choice would be personally insulting. Even if as a recruit I told the coaches that the honor code was a specific concern contributing to my decision, I'd expect them to hold that in confidence.



For those who don't remember, Bronco's comments about Manti Te'o chosing Notre Dame:


I am going to try to stereotype as best I can, so I protect their family and BYU. Usually when a young man who is LDS -- a member of our church -- has things presented as clearly as he had it presented to him and choses not to come, there usually is a reason they don't want to come.



And it is usually not football-related. And so Manti chose a private institution, with a religious background without truly the same semblance of rules, or an honor code, like BYU has. It would be great if we don't go into specifics, but my guess is there was something that he didn't want about BYU, and chose elsewhere. And that's OK.


True.
I
Irish Cougar
Wickchad84087 wrote:
It seemed that Manti Teo really took the BYU game personally. The commentators told the story about the Teo family indicated that this was the only game they cared about winning. For the last snap the camera showed Teo urgently talking his coach into letting him go out as the deep man in the victory formation. To see a defensive player lobbying to go on the field for the last offensive snap shows that there really is something deep between Teo and BYU. I found it kind of interesting. You would think that after four years there would have been enough water under the bridge for whatever happened during recruiting to not be that close to the surface for him. Makes you wonder if part of his decision to not go to the NFL last year was the chance to play BYU this year.




I think you are reading into this. Teo is passionate and plays like this every game. Very few (if any) talk about BYU and Manti, all USC. There was no talk about Manti holding a grudge. If you watched ND this year he is like that every single game. He is a passionate guy.



Manti is a great kid, I highly recommend you listen to this:



http://www.jimrome.com/junglehighlights?uri=channels/465575/1701019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
I've had issues with Te'o all season long as his presentation of how/why he chose ND conveniently ignores the BYU aspect and instead portrays the ND decision as the hand of God directing him there over USC--the most recent thing I read had his dad stating LDS reps wanted him at ND instead of going on a mission---as if the Church headquarters put input both (i) into him going to ND, and (ii) foregoing a mission.



He also was very public that he was going to go on a mission regardless, but less than a year into ND he "postponed" it, with his Dad clarifying that he could go on a mission later in life after his football career--apparently substituting a senior mission for a young man's mission. This is apparently what the LDS "reps" endorsed.



To me, even without the BYU aspect, the Manti Te'o story, like the Jake Heaps story, is a tragic story about what happens when you make a compromise and rationalize your way around the commandments. It's one thing to decide not to serve, but to make that decision, and then paint that decision as directed by some higher calling and telling untruths in the process diminishes the sacrifice every other young man who has walked away from life for two years makes. What Te'o and Heaps tell the world is "sometimes things of the world are bigger than the Lord's directives," and nothing could be farther from the truth.
Advertisement
H
HoosierCougar
snoscythe wrote:
... a tragic story about what happens when you make a compromise and rationalize your way around the commandments. It's one thing to decide not to serve, but to make that decision, and then paint that decision as directed by some higher calling...


This is interesting. I recall when Hans Olsen came to BYU he was asked about serving a mission. His response: something to the effect of "I believe God put me on this earth to play some football and that's what I'm going to do."



He had a fine career at BYU and played in the NFL for a couple of years. But he was cut before he made any serious coin and before his tenure vested into a NFL players pension.



Not pointing fingers or throwing stones, just another example of the impact of rationalization.
I
Irish Cougar
snoscythe wrote:
I've had issues with Te'o all season long as his presentation of how/why he chose ND conveniently ignores the BYU aspect and instead portrays the ND decision as the hand of God directing him there over USC--the most recent thing I read had his dad stating LDS reps wanted him at ND instead of going on a mission---as if the Church headquarters put input both (i) into him going to ND, and (ii) foregoing a mission.



He also was very public that he was going to go on a mission regardless, but less than a year into ND he "postponed" it, with his Dad clarifying that he could go on a mission later in life after his football career--apparently substituting a senior mission for a young man's mission. This is apparently what the LDS "reps" endorsed.



To me, even without the BYU aspect, the Manti Te'o story, like the Jake Heaps story, is a tragic story about what happens when you make a compromise and rationalize your way around the commandments. It's one thing to decide not to serve, but to make that decision, and then paint that decision as directed by some higher calling and telling untruths in the process diminishes the sacrifice every other young man who has walked away from life for two years makes. What Te'o and Heaps tell the world is "sometimes things of the world are bigger than the Lord's directives," and nothing could be farther from the truth.

I agree every person should serve a mission, I did, my father/grandfather/great grandfather etc etc all served and I hope my son serves. This does not mean that a person cannot be a good representative of the church. If I recall BYU and its fans (including me) look at Steve Young and Jimmer as good representatives for the church…..not saying they are perfect or that this represents an exception to the mission; but they can be good representatives too.



You are incorrect in stating Manti was committed to a mission the whole time, during his recruiting process he told all schools he wanted the option to go on a mission and excluded them if they said “no”, but the consensus was he was not going to serve and this was clear to coaches and others. Nearly everyone involved, including BYU, knew that was not likely to happen. That is his choice, we have opinions on whether it is right or wrong, but not make judgments on someone.



As for the reason for the focus on USC vs ND and inspiration and why BYU was not discussed in this……BYU was discounted before, there were concerns about BYU (more than football related, no need to bash or get into these…..and it was not specifically the honor code) and they were cut early from the list. Manti could have attended BYU if he chose to do so. The stories he tells in the media come the last few days before signing when it was really ND or USC, it was very clear to him where to go and this story has been nothing but good for the church and for Manti…….he received inspiration, he followed through without knowing why and now he knows why…..this is a good story. He talks about the next life and his gratitude for the Lord and his family. All this is a very good story.



Personally I have gotten A LOT of questions about him and his faith that I would likely not have gotten at BYU, it would have been brought up as a tidbit during the a game and covered locally but no way would the national attention have been the same. He brings insights to others that may not have had it if he went elsewhere. I am not going to judge Manti on not going on a mission, I may believe a mission is for everyone but it is not my place to judge…..and I don’t discount his ability (nor others who don’t serve) to be a representative of the church in their lives.



I feel many wear blue-goggles on this, heck I wear blue and gold goggles on ND topics and blue goggles on BYU topics; but this is the type of kid people should embrace. To me it sounds like sour grapes, he did not choose BYU; that does not make it the wrong choice for him, everyone receives their own inspiration and thoughts. I also did not go to BYU and there was no excuse other than me praying about it and knowing there was somewhere else to be; I was worthy, I had the grades and scholarships, but knew I needed to go elsewhere and it was the right choice. I love BYU, I want my kids to go there, but I had my own reasons I did not understand at the time and now do for going there…..I have people I love and my personal testimony has grown as I have been able to contribute more actively; I guess on the outside you could make assumptions but they would not be true. It was right for me to not go to BYU, for others it is absolutely the place to go; there is not a one-size fits all for choice of schools.



Apologies if for the rant, but I have met Manti and his family. They are great people and they have been nothing be cordial and nice to me and my wife and children; Manti personally has spent time with my kids that others do not. In the past two weeks I have had people ask more about my faith, comment “I want my son to be Mormon if I knew they would turn out like Manti”, “a Mormon the face ND football”……how is this bad. I will stick up for those I know and have met, please don’t paint a broad brush.
S
snoscythe
Yes, and King David was, by all accounts, a pretty dang good king and did lots of good. That doesn't change the fact that we hold him up as an example for the one series of bad decisions he made.



The tragedy of Te'o exists independent of his decision regarding BYU. I made the same observation about Heaps when he got married before a mission, which was long before he left BYU. Te'o decided he wanted to eat his cake and he is now trying to have it to. He is attempting to paint what should be an awful decision on his part as divinely inspired and intimates that a commandment without exception somehow had an exception for him. That is the tragedy of Te'o. I think that one day he will have the same regret as Steve Young, who is very open that the biggest regret of his life is foregoing a mission for football.



This isn't to take away the good that he does. I just think it is dangerous to have young men in the public eye suggesting to young men that there is a "public figure" exemption to the rule for mission service. There is not. Whether you go to BYU or not, whether you have a specific talent or not, the commandment is there. If Te'o (or Heaps, or Olsen) simply said "I'm not going to go," I would have no problem with that--I don't pretend to know their worthiness, psychological or emotional well-being. If they can't go, they shouldn't go. The problem I have with them is when they suggest to the public and to impressionable young men with whom I work that if they play football really well they can do a football-mission in lieu of actually sacrificing the time, effort, and finances the Lord has commanded them to sacrifice. No sour grapes as this is the same sentiment I expressed re: Heaps when he was still very much a Cougar. Te'o can spend the rest of his life doing the very best he can, but that doesn't make his decision any less tragic.
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:
Yes, and King David was, by all accounts, a pretty dang good king and did lots of good. That doesn't change the fact that we hold him up as an example for the one series of bad decisions he made.



The tragedy of Te'o exists independent of his decision regarding BYU. I made the same observation about Heaps when he got married before a mission, which was long before he left BYU. Te'o decided he wanted to eat his cake and he is now trying to have it to. He is attempting to paint what should be an awful decision on his part as divinely inspired and intimates that a commandment without exception somehow had an exception for him. That is the tragedy of Te'o. I think that one day he will have the same regret as Steve Young, who is very open that the biggest regret of his life is foregoing a mission for football.



This isn't to take away the good that he does. I just think it is dangerous to have young men in the public eye suggesting to young men that there is a "public figure" exemption to the rule for mission service. There is not. Whether you go to BYU or not, whether you have a specific talent or not, the commandment is there. If Te'o (or Heaps, or Olsen) simply said "I'm not going to go," I would have no problem with that--I don't pretend to know their worthiness, psychological or emotional well-being. If they can't go, they shouldn't go. The problem I have with them is when they suggest to the public and to impressionable young men with whom I work that if they play football really well they can do a football-mission in lieu of actually sacrificing the time, effort, and finances the Lord has commanded them to sacrifice. No sour grapes as this is the same sentiment I expressed re: Heaps when he was still very much a Cougar. Te'o can spend the rest of his life doing the very best he can, but that doesn't make his decision any less tragic.


I appreciate these thoughts as well as IrishCoug's about how well he thinks of Manti. But we all must understnadn that there is a very big danger when we think we know better than the Lord and regardless of how good a person you are or how commendable you are, when you decide you know better than the Lord and His Servants, great danger is afoot. Rationalization is a slippery slope downward.
K
KingCoug
Mingjai wrote:
I don't blame Te'o or his family at all, if it were me and a coach who had been recruiting me said what Mendenhall said about me afterwards, I'd have a chip on my shoulder. I don't care who you are or what you've done in the past--for Mendenhall to publicly imply that honor code had anything to do with the choice would be personally insulting. Even if as a recruit I told the coaches that the honor code was a specific concern contributing to my decision, I'd expect them to hold that in confidence.



For those who don't remember, Bronco's comments about Manti Te'o chosing Notre Dame:


I am going to try to stereotype as best I can, so I protect their family and BYU. Usually when a young man who is LDS -- a member of our church -- has things presented as clearly as he had it presented to him and choses not to come, there usually is a reason they don't want to come.



And it is usually not football-related. And so Manti chose a private institution, with a religious background without truly the same semblance of rules, or an honor code, like BYU has. It would be great if we don't go into specifics, but my guess is there was something that he didn't want about BYU, and chose elsewhere. And that's OK.


What the heck are you talking about? There's nothing wrong in what Bronco said. He told the truth. He told it like it is. You just don't like the fact he said it at all.



That said, it seemed Te'o's parents had more of a chip on their shoulder than he himself did. But isn't it usually like that? We've seen it with LDS players going to the U. Or their families. For one reason or another they hold a grudge and are bitter.
Advertisement
I
Irish Cougar
BoiseBYU wrote:
Yes, and King David was, by all accounts, a pretty dang good king and did lots of good. That doesn't change the fact that we hold him up as an example for the one series of bad decisions he made.



The tragedy of Te'o exists independent of his decision regarding BYU. I made the same observation about Heaps when he got married before a mission, which was long before he left BYU. Te'o decided he wanted to eat his cake and he is now trying to have it to. He is attempting to paint what should be an awful decision on his part as divinely inspired and intimates that a commandment without exception somehow had an exception for him. That is the tragedy of Te'o. I think that one day he will have the same regret as Steve Young, who is very open that the biggest regret of his life is foregoing a mission for football.



This isn't to take away the good that he does. I just think it is dangerous to have young men in the public eye suggesting to young men that there is a "public figure" exemption to the rule for mission service. There is not. Whether you go to BYU or not, whether you have a specific talent or not, the commandment is there. If Te'o (or Heaps, or Olsen) simply said "I'm not going to go," I would have no problem with that--I don't pretend to know their worthiness, psychological or emotional well-being. If they can't go, they shouldn't go. The problem I have with them is when they suggest to the public and to impressionable young men with whom I work that if they play football really well they can do a football-mission in lieu of actually sacrificing the time, effort, and finances the Lord has commanded them to sacrifice. No sour grapes as this is the same sentiment I expressed re: Heaps when he was still very much a Cougar. Te'o can spend the rest of his life doing the very best he can, but that doesn't make his decision any less tragic.


I appreciate these thoughts as well as IrishCoug's about how well he thinks of Manti. But we all must understnadn that there is a very big danger when we think we know better than the Lord and regardless of how good a person you are or how commendable you are, when you decide you know better than the Lord and His Servants, great danger is afoot. Rationalization is a slippery slope downward.




Agree 100%. I don't think he stops being a good person. Plenty of people have made bad decisions and turned out to do other things such as Bishops. That does not minimize or make the decision right, but they can still have positive lives and impacts even if they made a mistake.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Irish Cougar
KingCoug wrote:
I don't blame Te'o or his family at all, if it were me and a coach who had been recruiting me said what Mendenhall said about me afterwards, I'd have a chip on my shoulder. I don't care who you are or what you've done in the past--for Mendenhall to publicly imply that honor code had anything to do with the choice would be personally insulting. Even if as a recruit I told the coaches that the honor code was a specific concern contributing to my decision, I'd expect them to hold that in confidence.



For those who don't remember, Bronco's comments about Manti Te'o chosing Notre Dame:


I am going to try to stereotype as best I can, so I protect their family and BYU. Usually when a young man who is LDS -- a member of our church -- has things presented as clearly as he had it presented to him and choses not to come, there usually is a reason they don't want to come.



And it is usually not football-related. And so Manti chose a private institution, with a religious background without truly the same semblance of rules, or an honor code, like BYU has. It would be great if we don't go into specifics, but my guess is there was something that he didn't want about BYU, and chose elsewhere. And that's OK.


What the heck are you talking about? There's nothing wrong in what Bronco said. He told the truth. He told it like it is. You just don't like the fact he said it at all.



That said, it seemed Te'o's parents had more of a chip on their shoulder than he himself did. But isn't it usually like that? We've seen it with LDS players going to the U. Or their families. For one reason or another they hold a grudge and are bitter.


Maybe Bronco is right and maybe he is not. Why make it public? Bronco do that with all recruits who don't choose byu? Of course not....take a high road.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
I have no problem with manti choosing ND and foregoing a mission is his choice. I do find it odd, however that his parents made such a big deal about beating BYU. The announcers stated that they didn't care if they lost every other game, as long as they beat BYU. They did mention that Manti disagreed with that. I like Manti and I look forward to seeing him succeed even further. I shake my head at his dad's comment, it makes him sound like a :utard:
M
Mingjai
Irish Cougar wrote:
Mingjai wrote:
I don't blame Te'o or his family at all, if it were me and a coach who had been recruiting me said what Mendenhall said about me afterwards, I'd have a chip on my shoulder. I don't care who you are or what you've done in the past--for Mendenhall to publicly imply that honor code had anything to do with the choice would be personally insulting. Even if as a recruit I told the coaches that the honor code was a specific concern contributing to my decision, I'd expect them to hold that in confidence.



For those who don't remember, Bronco's comments about Manti Te'o chosing Notre Dame:


I am going to try to stereotype as best I can, so I protect their family and BYU. Usually when a young man who is LDS -- a member of our church -- has things presented as clearly as he had it presented to him and choses not to come, there usually is a reason they don't want to come.



And it is usually not football-related. And so Manti chose a private institution, with a religious background without truly the same semblance of rules, or an honor code, like BYU has. It would be great if we don't go into specifics, but my guess is there was something that he didn't want about BYU, and chose elsewhere. And that's OK.


What the heck are you talking about? There's nothing wrong in what Bronco said. He told the truth. He told it like it is. You just don't like the fact he said it at all.



That said, it seemed Te'o's parents had more of a chip on their shoulder than he himself did. But isn't it usually like that? We've seen it with LDS players going to the U. Or their families. For one reason or another they hold a grudge and are bitter.


Maybe Bronco is right and maybe he is not. Why make it public? Bronco do that with all recruits who don't choose byu? Of course not....take a high road.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Exactly. What Bronco said may have in fact been true--even assuming it was true, I don't the media is the best place to air that out. He should have just said the player chose not to attend and he respects the player's decision. No need to publicly speculate.



Further, it's absurd that Bronco is willing to assert that most LDS recruits who decide not to attend BYU choose to do so for non football reasons. It sends a message to future LDS recruits--if you're being recruited by BYU and choose not to attend, be ready to have your willingness to live the honor code questioned--or at least the player better be able to cite a "non-football reason" like to be close to family, etc., because Bronco isn't willing to accept that someone might choose another school because the football program is better.
K
KingCoug
Mingjai wrote:


Exactly. What Bronco said may have in fact been true--even assuming it was true, I don't the media is the best place to air that out. He should have just said the player chose not to attend and he respects the player's decision. No need to publicly speculate.



Further, it's absurd that Bronco is willing to assert that most LDS recruits who decide not to attend BYU choose to do so for non football reasons. It sends a message to future LDS recruits--if you're being recruited by BYU and choose not to attend, be ready to have your willingness to live the honor code questioned--or at least the player better be able to cite a "non-football reason" like to be close to family, etc., because Bronco isn't willing to accept that someone might choose another school because the football program is better.


I have no problem with Bronco's speculation. If you're an LDS player, your first choice should be BYU. So I do question those who choose somewhere else and the reasons for it. And back when Te'o chose Notre Dame, it wasn't exactly a "better" program.
Page 1 of 6
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.