Archived Topic

Nelson is the worst 3 year starter (2+) in BYU history

by Brayden Green · 10/21/2012

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Just that.



How the coaching staff ever bought into him, or stuck with him for more than 1 failed season is beyond me.



1 quarter against Utah State has ended up wasting 3 years of BYU football.



BYU football is irrelevant to anyone not reading this board.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
BYU is irrelevant to most people who aren't BYU fans.



Calling him a 3-year starter is a bit much. I'll give him two. But his career at BYU is average at best, with the most recent really pulling down that average.



I've got him with 16 career starts at BYU with a 10-6 record. But he's 0-4 in his last four starts with a PER of 99.15. He's very poor in five of his last seven starts.



He's just not at a level where he should continue to be the starter.
K
KingCoug
2 months and he's just a bad memory.
S
stuckinbig10country
The saying is that the backup QB is the most popular player on a team...this is what happens when you make someone who is a good backup the starter.
B
BoiseBYU
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Just that.



How the coaching staff ever bought into him, or stuck with him for more than 1 failed season is beyond me.



1 quarter against Utah State has ended up wasting 3 years of BYU football.



BYU football is irrelevant to anyone not reading this board.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


What? He's starting next year? No!!
Advertisement
C
cougdoc
My Aggie-grad sister has two favorite teams: USU and whoever is playing the Y. She says that in hindsight Riley's miracle comeback in 2011 is the best thing to happen to the Ags this decade because of the mess it has created in Provo. I think Riley is probably a fine person and a great teammate, but whenever I see him run out for the first snap of the game I wonder what this year would have been like if the desperation heave in Jacobsen's general direction had fallen mercifully incomplete. Deep down, a little bit of you probably agrees.
B
beauso79
KingCoug wrote:
2 months and he's just a bad memory.


Nah.........it will be a freaking nightmare for years to come



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MesaCougFan
And yet he will probably be the only QB in 2012 to throw 2 red zone TD's against the Irish.



If only our D could have held one of those backs under 100...... Oh wait, this is a crucify Riley thread, my bad!
B
beauso79
Dude our defense only allowed 17 points on the road at Notre Dame. One completed pass to Hoffman and suddenly our defense looks golden



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
MesaCougFan wrote:
And yet he will probably be the only QB in 2012 to throw 2 red zone TD's against the Irish. If only our D could have held one of those backs under 100...... Oh wait, this is a crucify Riley thread, my bad!

I get it, you're Riley Nelson. Which would make you BYU's worst-ever starting senior quarterback, and one of the biggest reasons for the last 3 years of bad offensive BYU football.
Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
I am most certainly not Riley Nelson, and let me re-state my position that I have never really liked the way Riley plays football. He doesn't fit the mold of what a BYU legend QB should.



I am just sick and tired of all the blame that gets thrown at him, when I believe the blame should 1. be with the O-line and Weber 2. Brandon Doman and in the last 2 games 3. the defense.
S
SpiffCoug
Riley is the QB. That means he gets more than his share of the credit and blame.



He is also responsible for his own performance. Could he be getting more help from the OL and the defense? Yep. Doesn't mean that he can use that as an excuse because there have been too mnay plays that HE has missed that were there to be made.



There are no excuses for continued poor play at BYU. We're too good for that. We have good players in the program who should be getting a chance to see if they can do better.
U
UliUli79
Yes the o-line sucks, but unless the o-line has been subliminally sending messages to Riley that causes him to confuse Apo's shoes with his hands or to misjudge receivers' height by 2+ feet repeatedly then... you know...
C
Cougs_Rule
MesaCougFan wrote:
I am most certainly not Riley Nelson, and let me re-state my position that I have never really liked the way Riley plays football. He doesn't fit the mold of what a BYU legend QB should.



I am just sick and tired of all the blame that gets thrown at him, when I believe the blame should 1. be with the O-line and Weber 2. Brandon Doman and in the last 2 games 3. the defense.


So you think Riley should be 4th? Is that low enough? Maybe you should come up with afew more so he can be 5th or 6th to blame. :roll:
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
I am most certainly not Riley Nelson, and let me re-state my position that I have never really liked the way Riley plays football. He doesn't fit the mold of what a BYU legend QB should.



I am just sick and tired of all the blame that gets thrown at him, when I believe the blame should 1. be with the O-line and Weber 2. Brandon Doman and in the last 2 games 3. the defense.


So you think Riley should be 4th? Is that low enough? Maybe you should come up with afew more so he can be 5th or 6th to blame. :roll:

Let me help. Who is our starting FB? Do we even have one?

Tight end has been singled out recently by coaches - but, I would probably list Riley before TE.



The point is this. These are all big problems. Put them in any order you want. It seems that some fans have such a vacuum in their self image that they need to have BYU undefeated to feel good about themselves and when BYU is not undefeated need to believe that we are great other than the need to fire a coach or bench one player.



Next year will be very painful for those fans. They might just want to hibernate in 2013.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib wrote:



It seems that some fans have such a vacuum in their self image that they need to have BYU undefeated to feel good about themselves and when BYU is not undefeated need to believe that we are great other than the need to fire a coach or bench one player.



Next year will be very painful for those fans. They might just want to hibernate in 2013.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


And it seems that some fans have such a vacuum in their self image that they spend a good portion of their time on a website calling fans any combination of impatient, naive, and greedy.



You are going to have a field day next year.



Some people like being dissapointed in sports programs, but only a rare few get upset at the people that are dissapointed in sports programs. It is a strange lot, that is sure.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:



It seems that some fans have such a vacuum in their self image that they need to have BYU undefeated to feel good about themselves and when BYU is not undefeated need to believe that we are great other than the need to fire a coach or bench one player.



Next year will be very painful for those fans. They might just want to hibernate in 2013.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


And it seems that some fans have such a vacuum in their self image that they spend a good portion of their time on a website calling fans any combination of impatient, naive, and greedy.



You are going to have a field day next year.



Some people like being dissapointed in sports programs, but only a rare few get upset at the people that are dissapointed in sports programs. It is a strange lot, that is sure.


I am just fine with people wishing this season had gone better. It is the hate and the need to find the "one scapegoat" that gets to me. Our team is not good enough to win these kind of games very often - especially on the road. Utah is not good enough to do it either. Quite frankly, few teams are.



I wish it was different. I really do.



Historically, we never have elite DBs, RBs, FBs, or WRs. We have had occasional near elite WR - not many. We just don't. We usually do have a very good OL and Linebackers and good to great QBs, and decent DL and FB kicker and TE. We have been short in these area lately. Our DBs are better than usual, but hardly elite. As usual we lack depth and have mostly decent, but not inspiring coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
northerncougar
BlueIsBetter wrote:



It seems that some fans have such a vacuum in their self image that they need to have BYU undefeated to feel good about themselves and when BYU is not undefeated need to believe that we are great other than the need to fire a coach or bench one player.



Next year will be very painful for those fans. They might just want to hibernate in 2013.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


And it seems that some fans have such a vacuum in their self image that they spend a good portion of their time on a website calling fans any combination of impatient, naive, and greedy.



You are going to have a field day next year.



Some people like being dissapointed in sports programs, but only a rare few get upset at the people that are dissapointed in sports programs. It is a strange lot, that is sure.




Thank you. You said just what I feel. +1
M
MesaCougFan
It is really easy to coach and make decisions in hind sight. This team just went on the road in SEC / ACC land and put the beat down on GT. they played a complete unified team game and dominated both sides of the ball. They have four losses, three of which were on the road by a combined 7 points! And 1 at home to a top 10 team that was much closer than the scoreboard showed. This team is a top 20 team, and it's a shame that the record dictates that we won't be recognized for that.



Before Saturday I had prepared myself for a miserable 2013, but now I'm reconsidering. I am not so sure that BYU won't surprise even myself, and win some big time games on the road. I'm calling ND and Wisconsin W's right now! Mark it down.
C
Cougest
MesaCougFan wrote:
It is really easy to coach and make decisions in hind sight. This team just went on the road in SEC / ACC land and put the beat down on GT. they played a complete unified team game and dominated both sides of the ball. They have four losses, three of which were on the road by a combined 7 points! And 1 at home to a top 10 team that was much closer than the scoreboard showed. This team is a top 20 team, and it's a shame that the record dictates that we won't be recognized for that.



Before Saturday I had prepared myself for a miserable 2013, but now I'm reconsidering. I am not so sure that BYU won't surprise even myself, and win some big time games on the road. I'm calling ND and Wisconsin W's right now! Mark it down.


Yeah, they beat a team that is 3-4, who's only wins come against poor quality quality and FBS teams, and a team that will not make a bowl game for the first time in 8 years. What a solid victory! I've yet to see the type of QB play and play calling that will get me excited for next year. I hope you're right. However, we lose some big names seniors next year and possible some juniors too. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.