Archived Topic

This off season may be the most important ever for BYU

by KingCoug · 10/21/2012

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Seriously.
C
Cougs_Rule
How so? What do you honestly think will be accomplished?? Or dare I say "needs to be accomplished (we all can come up with our vain and foolish wish lists).
K
KingCoug
dmcougar wrote:
How so? What do you honestly think will be accomplished?? Or dare I say "needs to be accomplished (we all can come up with our vain and foolish wish lists).


I'm not commenting on what I think will happen or what is mostly likely to happen. But BYU is definitely at a crossroads. And next year is our first year of full independence. No more beating up on MWC or WAC teams to pad our record.
C
Cougarbib
KingCoug wrote:
How so? What do you honestly think will be accomplished?? Or dare I say "needs to be accomplished (we all can come up with our vain and foolish wish lists).


I'm not commenting on what I think will happen or what is mostly likely to happen. But BYU is definitely at a crossroads. And next year is our first year of full independence. No more beating up on MWC or WAC teams to pad our record.

And THUS because of THIS - U can write off next year right now no matter what happens this off-season.



What R U smokin?



Ask U what happens when a mid-major steps up to a dose of weekly major opponents - then ask those Utes who have not win a game since beating us, what their record would be if they had given us a 2 for 1 and played this game in Provo.



T. Holmoe and BM have scheduled BYU into oblivion - unless we hurry up and join a weak conference and cancel some other games .



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Cougarbib wrote:


And THUS because of THIS - U can write off next year right now no matter what happens this off-season.



What R U smokin?



Ask U what happens when a mid-major steps up to a dose of weekly major opponents - then ask those Utes who have not win a game since beating us, what their record would be if they had given us a 2 for 1 and played this game in Provo.



T. Holmoe and BM have scheduled BYU into oblivion - unless we hurry up and join a weak conference and cancel some other games .



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm probably the one guy that hears what you're saying about BYU overscheduling. It's why I never agreed with everyone pining for us to join the Big 12.



That said, I still believe there's a delicate balance of playing good teams but not going overboard like we probably have in 2013. We don't want to play 12 patsies but we don't want to go 7-5 every year either.
Advertisement
R
Raiderboy
I'd rather go 7-5 in the Big 12 than 10-3 in the MWC. There would be so many huge games, and so much excitement. It would be worth it.



Utah has already surpassed us in recruiting from their 2 big years and from joining the PAC. It will only get worse. Being in the Big 12 would help with recruiting. Maybe not as much as it might help other teams because we can only recruit a special type of person. But we'd surely win more on some of these 4 star LDS kids and it might make enough difference to occasionally be able to challenge in the Big 12.
C
Cougs_Rule
Raiderboy wrote:
I'd rather go 7-5 in the Big 12 than 10-3 in the MWC. There would be so many huge games, and so much excitement. It would be worth it.



Utah has already surpassed us in recruiting from their 2 big years and from joining the PAC. It will only get worse. Being in the Big 12 would help with recruiting. Maybe not as much as it might help other teams because we can only recruit a special type of person. But we'd surely win more on some of these 4 star LDS kids and it might make enough difference to occasionally be able to challenge in the Big 12.


Te above is unrealistic and unsustainable. There are not enough LDS 4 stars out there to compete year in and year out in the Big 12. This is one area I have fully agreed with Bib on. This year is showing that BYU is not ready for big time and next year will be a painful exclamation/underscoring, horrible repeat of this year and worse.

If truly this off season would be treated as "the most important ever" and this Offesne got a major overhaul, then. I would agree. But as much as I want and love Bronco for taking this program out of the Crowton trash heap, I really am loathing what he has done to this offense. This trend, if continued will wipe out the ESPN deal and discourage recruits.
M
MesaCougFan
I am not excited about next year.



Road games against too many higher caliber teams than us.

New starting QB



No bowl game



Losing record.
K
KingCoug
dmcougar wrote:

Te above is unrealistic and unsustainable. There are not enough LDS 4 stars out there to compete year in and year out in the Big 12. This is one area I have fully agreed with Bib on. This year is showing that BYU is not ready for big time and next year will be a painful exclamation/underscoring, horrible repeat of this year and worse.

If truly this off season would be treated as "the most important ever" and this Offesne got a major overhaul, then. I would agree. But as much as I want and love Bronco for taking this program out of the Crowton trash heap, I really am loathing what he has done to this offense. This trend, if continued will wipe out the ESPN deal and discourage recruits.


Yup.



In the Big 12, we're locked into a conference schedule that would probably be too tough for us to compete week in and week out. We may have a stellar year once in a great while but most of the time we'd probably be like Baylor.



It's why I find independence preferable. Being indy, we have more flexibility in who we play and we can schedule strategically. We can still play great teams in big games but not go overboard like we probably have in 2013; as exciting as it may look on paper. There is a certain balance to it all that Holmoe is going to have to figure out.
K
KingCoug
MesaCougFan wrote:
I am not excited about next year.



Road games against too many higher caliber teams than us.

New starting QB



No bowl game



Losing record.


I've been saying it for about 2 years now. For long term independence, we need to have these 8 core games that make up 2/3 of our schedule and includes in-state rivals or nearby rivals, the Poly connection, and other independent or academy schools.



Utah

Utah State

Hawaii

Boise State

Notre Dame

Army

Navy

Air Force



The flexibility then comes with the remaining 4 games. This is where we could add some more elite teams. But also focusing on playing schools in key recruiting regions - California, Texas, and Florida. TV markets and playing other private schools are also factors.
Advertisement
G
golong
So far, there is no team on this year's schedule we could not, should not, have beaten, so I don't buy the "we're losing out on the recruiting wars" thing. BYU has never been able to recruit bunches of big star recruits, but we still win with what we get. If Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Ty Detmer or Sarkesian are our QB this year, we are probably 8-0 right now. Aside from coaching shortcomings, it's the QB interceptions that have pretty much killed any chance we've had of winning games. Any of the above would have put the ball where Hoffman could get it, BYU scores and probably wins the game. Without Riley's three interceptions against Boise, the 2 pt conversion issues is moot, we win the game outright, etc, etc.



Is Hill a guy capable of winning all these games? probably, but we won't know until next year. I do think Doman better step up the BYU passing game or BYU will be 4-4 at midseason for the next ten years. I get disgusted watching games on Saturday and see how easily and successfully so many teams throw the ball--and we look like we just discovered the passing game last year. Needed fixes in the off-season:

1. A QB who can throw the football successfully

2. OLinemen who can pass block and dominate the line of scrimmage

3. My kingdom for a TE who can catch the football. Our TE corps is still a big disappointment. All these guys were highly recruited, big, strong, fast studs who have somehow failed to learn how to catch the football. We may have to give up on these guys and recruit a TE this year who can start next fall.

4. A FG kicker!!!! Good grief, if Sorenson cannot kick, take away his scholarship and recruit somebody who can.



If these things get fixed, BYU can win all their games. If we had these things this year, BYU is sitting at 8-0 right now and staring an undefeated season in the face.
F
Fido
While the team has 4 losses so far and the schedule should be tougher next year, the team has lost 3 of those games by 3 points or less. And that is with all the struggles we've had with the O-line and QB play. I guess for me the big question is going to be whether or not BYU fans are ready for the more big time football where they play and try to compete with BCS teams or if they want to keep being the big fish in a small pond--with no more than 1 or 2 losses per season against teams that are almost all ranked below you. Sure there will be growing pains as the team faces turnover and plays tougher competition--but the wins actually mean something when you get them. There will be lots of seniors gone for next year and I view it as a rebuilding year with a tough schedule. As long as expectations aren't too high we will all be fine and build towards the future as a tougher, higher level team. If all it took was a flip of the switch and the team stays 11-1 against BCS competition more teams would have done it by now.
S
scott715
Push Spring pracitce back as late as you can to allow Hill time to recover and partipate. Work on the OL, even moving come players to the OL if you can't get a solid 5. Bring in a couple JC guys. Then work on the passing game.
T
tww
Can BYU open a QB school and have NFL level players teach it year-round and do it independent of the football program? The coaches don't seem to have time to develop QBs.



This is probably illegal or something but it just seemed like a cool thing to have a QB school.
S
scott715
How about sending our kickers to a place kicking school?
Advertisement
C
cougarsunited
Our offense might be a little bit better, but there is no telling, we have seen too little of Taysom, especially too little him throwing the football, nor do we know for sure whether he'll actually be our qb. On defense we will likely be quite a bit worse.



So all in all, we get killed next year, and I HAVE GOT to wrap my head around it because I am tired, so, so, sooo tired of keeping this spark of hope, this dream of magic every single year, and every year my tender little poor BYU fanatic heart gets broken. No, not in 2013 because there is absolutely no reason to believe we can have anything special next season. The one thing I will really invest my heart on is on beating Utah before that rivalry ends also, coming back in 2014 after a dismal 2013, no rival, winning vs. below .500 teams and earning a another 8-4 record to play in that worthless, pitiful bowl.



Wow, that"s what"s coming up for BYU football? This sucks...
F
Fido
Wow...you're a downer. :)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.