Archived Topic

An almost deja vu moment

by tww · 10/17/2012

Advertisement
T
tww
I am having an almost deja vu moment. I say almost because the circumstances are not exactly the same but similar.



I believe it was 1986 and Steve Lindsley was the starting QB for BYU. Lindsley was quite possibly the worst QB in BYU history, or at least in his era, and yet someone in the coaching staff insisted on playing him. What made the situation particularly strange was that the backup QB was Mike Young, Steve Young's younger brother who had broken all of Steve's HS records.



To add to the drama and dismay of fans something very strange happened (this is what makes the '86 season situation a little different than the '12 season situation). As I recall, Mike Young was sent in for an offensive series or two about every other game. Young would proceed to shred the defense and drive down field everytime he came in, only to be taken out and replaced by a painful-to-watch and ineffective Lindsley. Lindsley couldn't run, throw, or read a defense. His delivery was so slow that the DB's grandma could have picked his passes. (Fortunately, Lindsley has gone on to make millions in TV broadcasting.) On the other hand, Mike Young was electrifying when he walked on the field. His release was lightening fast and accurate. He appeared to be even better than his older brother and yet he sat on the bench most of the time.



I don't know anything about Lark. I have never seen him play. All I know is the reason stated by the coaches for not playing him. They don't say that he is not good enough. They say that he is a pocket passer and does not fit the system or game plan at BYU. Which leaves me to say just as I did in 1986.— W H A T ?
C
Cougs_Rule
Interesting. I remember that. I was fresh off a mission that summer-- yes, I was on my mission during TE NC run. But I was at that amazing game in Hawaii with the late game superheroics over the top tackle by Peterson (?). Coolest play i ever saw live. But I digress.

Difference is the coaches injured our star backup. Who knows about poor James. We got shifty Riley and shafted James going on.

Too bad Riley will be cast into The SteveLindsley category.

We were thoroughly embarrassed last tie we were at ND. I Hope that doesn't happen this time w Riley being Riley.
S
scott715
If Mike Young was that good, what happened to him? Did he get hurt?
T
tww
scott715 wrote:
If Mike Young was that good, what happened to him? Did he get hurt?




Someone else might remember better than I do but if I am not getting him mixed up with Tom Young, it seems like he just decided to give up football and concentrate on school and his career.
B
BYULV
dmcougar wrote:
Interesting. I remember that. I was fresh off a mission that summer-- yes, I was on my mission during TE NC run. But I was at that amazing game in Hawaii with the late game superheroics over the top tackle by Peterson (?). Coolest play i ever saw live. But I digress.

Difference is the coaches injured our star backup. Who knows about poor James. We got shifty Riley and shafted James going on.

Too bad Riley will be cast into The SteveLindsley category.

We were thoroughly embarrassed last tie we were at ND. I Hope that doesn't happen this time w Riley being Riley.


It was Kyle Morrell. Definitely a cool goal line stand.
Advertisement
R
rblack
scott715 wrote:
If Mike Young was that good, what happened to him? Did he get hurt?

Sidelined with a broken collarbone in 1985 as a sophomore. Spinal contusion in 1986. http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/mike-young" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
R
rblack
scott715 wrote:
If Mike Young was that good, what happened to him? Did he get hurt?

It looks like Mike Young only played in 3 games in 86 including the one he got hurt. They were USU (52-0) he was 3-3 for 30 yards, UNM (31-30) he had 1 rush and Washington (21-52) he was 5-9 85 yards and 1 TD. After that, Jensen was the backup and eventually took over fo Lindsley in the last game of the season (and bowl game).
T
tww
rblack wrote:
If Mike Young was that good, what happened to him? Did he get hurt?

It looks like Mike Young only played in 3 games in 86 including the one he got hurt. They were USU (52-0) he was 3-3 for 30 yards, UNM (31-30) he had 1 rush and Washington (21-52) he was 5-9 85 yards and 1 TD. After that, Jensen was the backup and eventually took over fo Lindsley in the last game of the season (and bowl game).


Yeah, I think it is that Washington game that stands out the most in my memory because of the stark contrast between Lindsley and Young. I couldn't figure out why Young hadn't been starting the whole time. Where Lindsley looked awkward and out of place even in the games he won, Young was lightning in a bottle and owned the field in the short time he played.



I had forgotten that Young went out with an injury. Maybe 2012 is more like 1986 than I realized.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.