Archived Topic

Mike Holmgren needs a job

by Stirfry · 10/16/2012

Advertisement
S
Stirfry
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8511711/mike-holmgren-retire-cleveland-browns-sale-official



Apparently Mike Holmgren will be looking for work soon enough. Who says we can't find a better option at OC? :D :love: :P





I think being a college coach would be a terrible job. It's literally never ending, you depend on 19-20 year olds to keep you employed, and you have to kiss-up to a bunch of cocky kids that are the kings of their world when you recruit them, and everything you do is 2nd, 3rd, 4th....51st guessed.
F
frdbtr
that would be the coup of all coups if we could get him. The only shot is if he wants to retire from the NFL and wants to come to BYU with a MAJOR pay cut in order to just have something to do. We could probably convince Doman to step down back to QB coach if we got a guy like Holmgren to replace him. It wouldn't be too much of a hit on his ego.
G
Guest
Holmgren would have to have a lot of loyalty to the place that got him started, considering that he's not even LDS.
C
Cougs_Rule
Call he or Andy Reid, who looks to be headed out if Phily can't get it together, on a mission at BYU as OC. :-)

So what if Reid isn't LDS. Call it a Humanitarian Mission to an impoverished offense ;-)
G
Guest
Reid is LDS. Holmgren is not.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Holmgren would have to have a lot of loyalty to the place that got him started, considering that he's not even LDS.

Idrfs, but wasn't he only here about a year or so? I do not know him, but at times, he gets so red faced, I wondered if he was a heavy drinker. I have no idea - and I am asking - not accusing?



Anyway - former NFL head coaches who were once very successful, rarely step down to college and I can't think of one who stepped all the way down to mid-major OC.



Both Holmgren and Reid have turned down the HC job on the past.



Dream on. Is there a game Saturday? Anyone know who we are playing? Anyone want to be a coach or a player when the stuff hits the FANS in 2013.



Oh my!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Holmgren was at BYU from '82 to '85. He's an Evangelical. I don't know if he drinks or not.
J
jonnylingo
Can someone clarify for me the rules for byu coaches and being lds, temple recommend holders, etc?
S
scott715
Head coach needs to be a temple recommend holder. The rest of the coaches do not but it is nice if they are.
G
Guest
I think it's good for BYU to have at least one non-LDS coach to help with the athletes who aren't LDS.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
There is no written rule that any of BYU's coaches (head or assistant) are required to be a temple recommend holding LDS member. Having said that, I have heard people in the AD dept say that Head coaches aren't really considered by the BOT unless they are active temple recommend holders.
N
nuk13
I think Davis the former wrestling coach was a non member.
G
Guest
nuk13 wrote:
I think Davis the former wrestling coach was a non member.


And look what happened to the wrestling team.
S
scott715
Someone asked TH the question and he said they do not HAVE to be LDS.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
Someone asked TH the question and he said they do not HAVE to be LDS.


I could be wrong - but Tommy Hudspeth may not have been - but he did not live up to the hype and some ex-marines recruited got into some problems. No Internet back then, so not as publicized. I had a friend on the team that told me of players - many - taking lie detector tests as a result of a confession made by a coed to standards. Indicated that players took Darvon to help pass the tests.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
This thread has the makings of a joke...an evangelist, a Mormon Bishop and lapsed Mormon meet with St Peter. What did you do evangelist? " I led Packers to the promised land." "Enter in good soul." "And you lapsed Mormon?" "I put boys in storage sheds." "Thou shalt be condemned to outer darkness, ie Pulman, Washington". "And what of you Mormon Bishop?" "I kept my options open." "I know! What were you thinking? A gimpy QB and you call the QB draw?"
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.