Archived Topic

yep times are tough

by craigoscarson · 10/16/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Bronco will not have star on his staff that shines brighter than him. So, unless TH puts his foot down and if Bronco doesn't call is bluff, I suspect byu will see either a new OC Or New Scheme next year.
D
Ddawg
If Detmer was approached to coach at BYU. It would be like an alcoholic looking in the mirror and admitting - what I am doing just isn't working. I need to change.



Personally, I have thought for years Detmer would be a great addition. I have not understood why nothing has ever "happened." I assumed it was Detmer who was not interested. This article is an eye opener - Detmer has never been approached. I'm shocked actually.
C
Cougs_Rule
"Never been approached" OFFICIALLY. Dot doubt for a second that he hasn't been talked to informally. The quote is, "the SCHOOL has not approached..."
G
Guest
Fans are absolutely convinced Detmer could step in and be an amazing OC. But despite all of his "coaching" history in the NFL as 3rd string QB, he's never called a collegiate or NFL play in his life.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I love Ty Detmer and would personally be excited to see him come on the BYU staff in some capacity. Having said that, I hope it never happens. Ty is a legend at BYU and I would hate to see the rabid dog BYU fans turn on him as soon as BYU's offense struggles (because there are always growing pains with an inexperienced guy). It took BYU fans exactly 1.5 years to turn on Doman who was another legend. Would you guys give Ty 2 years?, maybe 2 years and a game or two?
B
Brayden Green
Doman is not a legend. Staley is a legend. Doman is the guy that pitched to him in the option.
F
frdbtr
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Doman is not a legend. Staley is a legend. Doman is the guy that pitched to him in the option.


Of course, especially since he is public enemy #2 right now in cougarland.
M
Mythranor
frdbtr wrote:
Doman is not a legend. Staley is a legend. Doman is the guy that pitched to him in the option.


Of course, especially since he is public enemy #2 right now in cougarland.


Can you really call Doman a legend if he's not even considered one of the 10 best quarterbacks in school history? From the Best Ever BYU team Quarterbacks edition http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9321&p=94226&hilit=all+time+best+quarterback#p94226" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one vote for 'other' went to Max Hall from what I could find reading the thread. Not sure Doman can be considered a BYU legend.
G
Gunk
I would love for Detmer to be the OC at BYU, after he's logged some years as a HC or OC at some other college.
Advertisement
P
pjmuli
hawkwing wrote:
Fans are absolutely convinced Detmer could step in and be an amazing OC. But despite all of his "coaching" history in the NFL as 3rd string QB, he's never called a collegiate or NFL play in his life.


Ah...the experience versus gifts / talent discussion. Basically, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Detmer is gifted in the cognitive side of football and in coaching duties. I think related experience is sufficient for evaluating talent or gifts - as opposed to directly related experience.



At this point, with such limited options for OC, if we are going to make changes Detmer would have be considered a target.
J
jonnylingo
I would feel more comfortable with someone that has a more proven track record.
M
Mingjai
Gunk wrote:
I would love for Detmer to be the OC at BYU, after he's logged some years as a HC or OC at some other college.


If he's good, BYU might not be able to afford him after he has experience as an OC at another college, and definitely not after he's been a HC. For a guy like Ty Detmer, BYU will have to be the place that gives him his first big break, otherwise he'll be like Andy Reid, Brian Billick, Mike Holmgren, Mike Leach, or Steve Sarkisian--not ever coming back to coach at Provo (for various reasons).
M
mizzoucoug
All I'll say is no more inexperienced coaches, please.
Advertisement
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
I would feel more comfortable with someone that has a more proven track record.

Yep.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.