Archived Topic

Bronco McBride

by northerncougar · 10/15/2012

Advertisement
N
northerncougar
I worry after 8 years of the same things happening, that we have our own Ron McBride in Bronco. He was absolutely the right one to bring us out of the Crowton years, but he is 4-18 against ranked teams and this stat from Greg Wrubell tells me a ton: Max Hall's three seasons (39 gms from '07-'09): BYU had 17 gms of 100+ rush yds/300+ pass yds. BYU w/ 100/300 four times in 33 games since. I worry that Bronco has reached his ceiling and the man-crush on Riley is huge part of the problem. He can't see the forest through the trees.



I see the same mistakes over and over and over. The SDSU game in 2005 was the turning point. The USU game in 2010 was the turning point. Taking 4 games every season to finally figure it out. Though sometimes we don't figure it out...



How many turning points do we need? Are we just turning in circles?
L
Lawboy
I'd call him Bronco Schottenheimer. Great coach. Emphasis on defense and ball control. But choke in big games because are overly conservative on O and rely on the D too much.
S
Schmoe
I see what you're saying with the comparison, but it obviously has some flaws as Ron McBride was a coach who generally had his team fighting to make a bowl game, not for a spot in the rankings.
N
northerncougar
Schmoe wrote:
I see what you're saying with the comparison, but it obviously has some flaws as Ron McBride was a coach who generally had his team fighting to make a bowl game, not for a spot in the rankings.


Correct. The similarities aren't perfect, but closer than I want to believe. I truly want Bronco to be a huge success, but after 8 years I don't believe anymore.



Your comment is more accurate right now than it has been in the past and will be definitely true next year. We have to win three more games in order to be bowl eligible and the SJSU game is going to be a little easier than I thought before Saturday.



We should be bowl eligible this year, but barely and I don't think we will next year.
S
Schmoe
northerncougar wrote:
I see what you're saying with the comparison, but it obviously has some flaws as Ron McBride was a coach who generally had his team fighting to make a bowl game, not for a spot in the rankings.


Correct. The similarities aren't perfect, but closer than I want to believe. I truly want Bronco to be a huge success, but after 8 years I don't believe anymore.



Your comment is more accurate right now than it has been in the past and will be definitely true next year. We have to win three more games in order to be bowl eligible and the SJSU game is going to be a little easier than I thought before Saturday.



We should be bowl eligible this year, but barely and I don't think we will next year.


I guess we would have to ask the question "what do you consider successful?" I know that college football is a "what have you done for me lately?" atmosphere, but Bronco has finished the majority of his seasons ranked. Outside of his first year and these last couple years (I call them the Heaps debacle years), Bronco has done quite well. The rule, then, is that he has a top-25 team and the exception is that the team stumbles. I'm still willing to give him many more years to see what he can do. But if another five years pass unranked and losing, and we see that the Beck and Hall years were the exception and mediocrity is the rule, then I'll agree with you. I just think it's much too early to tell at this point.



Next year's bowl eligibility will depend a lot on Hill's recovery and how the O-line comes together.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
northerncougar wrote:
I worry after 8 years of the same things happening, that we have our own Ron McBride in Bronco. He was absolutely the right one to bring us out of the Crowton years, but he is 4-18 against ranked teams


I'm not sure but wasn't the 4-18 stat since Edwards retired (includes Crowton years) and not just Bronco? Not that Bronco's is much better.....



The Riley Nelson love drives me crazy, simply because it projects that one player is valued over team, but Bronco's been a good coach. I think he's made a huge mistake with his QB management the last 3 years but hopefully that can be behind us now and lessons will have been learned.
S
Schmoe
Stirfry wrote:
I worry after 8 years of the same things happening, that we have our own Ron McBride in Bronco. He was absolutely the right one to bring us out of the Crowton years, but he is 4-18 against ranked teams


I'm not sure but wasn't the 4-18 stat since Edwards retired (includes Crowton years) and not just Bronco? Not that Bronco's is much better.....


Correct. Bronco is 4-12 vs ranked teams. Not good, but better than 4-18.
S
SpiffCoug
Bronco Cleveland? But do we have a Dave Rose on the staff?
K
KingCoug
In that stat of Bronco vs. ranked teams, does that mean teams that finished ranked or were simply ranked at the time BYU played them. There is a difference, in my opinion.



Once again, not counting this year, which is still in progress...





Bronco is 4-13 vs teams .700 or higher. 2-13 if you take away the 2 D-II teams.



Bronco is 23-20 vs teams over .500. 20-20 if you take away the 3 D-II teams.



Bronco is 44-4 vs teams .500 or below.



Bronco is 12-19 against ranked and/or BCS opponents.



However, only 6 of those 12 wins were against opponents that finished the season with a winning record.



Only 3 of those 6 opponents with a winning record finished in the Top 25.



And 5 of the 6 wins vs opponents with a winning record were with a BYU senior QB.
C
Cougarbib
And after all those stats - you have all forgotten how you wanted fewer cupcakes on the schedule and more competitive games and more marquis opponents even if it meant more losses.



BYU just lost to a top 10 team that was supposed to be a cupcake at the beginning of the season and a toothless beaver as of a week ago. Instead - we got a Top 10 Team. Next week we play that SIMPLY TERRIBLE according to B is B, ND - Top 5 ranking and all.



That would mean two losses for just about any team with any QB. Get over it or go back to scheduling sure wins.



Although @U certainly was winnable. Heaps failed twice. Wait - one was a home game blowout. Now Nelson failed once.

GT - very beatable at LES - but wait - East Coast road trip after playing two top 10 teams in a row. Even SJSU is better than projected.



This team was easily predicted to lose 4-5 including bowl even before OSU and USU and SJSU rose up and assuming a healthy RN.



Start with realistic expectations and then you can get your reality check early and enjoy supporting the team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Stirfry wrote:
I worry after 8 years of the same things happening, that we have our own Ron McBride in Bronco. He was absolutely the right one to bring us out of the Crowton years, but he is 4-18 against ranked teams


I'm not sure but wasn't the 4-18 stat since Edwards retired (includes Crowton years) and not just Bronco? Not that Bronco's is much better.....



The Riley Nelson love drives me crazy, simply because it projects that one player is valued over team, but Bronco's been a good coach. I think he's made a huge mistake with his QB management the last 3 years but hopefully that can be behind us now and lessons will have been learned.


Correct. My bad.
N
northerncougar
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I see what you're saying with the comparison, but it obviously has some flaws as Ron McBride was a coach who generally had his team fighting to make a bowl game, not for a spot in the rankings.


Correct. The similarities aren't perfect, but closer than I want to believe. I truly want Bronco to be a huge success, but after 8 years I don't believe anymore.



Your comment is more accurate right now than it has been in the past and will be definitely true next year. We have to win three more games in order to be bowl eligible and the SJSU game is going to be a little easier than I thought before Saturday.



We should be bowl eligible this year, but barely and I don't think we will next year.


I guess we would have to ask the question "what do you consider successful?" I know that college football is a "what have you done for me lately?" atmosphere, but Bronco has finished the majority of his seasons ranked. Outside of his first year and these last couple years (I call them the Heaps debacle years), Bronco has done quite well. The rule, then, is that he has a top-25 team and the exception is that the team stumbles. I'm still willing to give him many more years to see what he can do. But if another five years pass unranked and losing, and we see that the Beck and Hall years were the exception and mediocrity is the rule, then I'll agree with you. I just think it's much too early to tell at this point.



Next year's bowl eligibility will depend a lot on Hill's recovery and how the O-line comes together.


I understand that there will be a down year from time to time. The last good year we had was 2009. Even that wasn't great, but we beat OK, Utah and had a very good showing in the bowl game.



We are on our third year of regression and the possibility, even likely hood, is that next year looks to be much worse. Not going to a bowl game is still a possibility this year.



The regression is what is the problem. It is a huge problem. We were barely a top 25 team last year, and I think that was a function of our record, not how good we really were. Be beat a lot of really bad teams but lost at home to our rival by 44 points. We were ranked because of attrition more than anything else.



We won't be ranked this year, and won't be next year either. That is a really bad direction for this program to be going.
L
Lawboy
I'd consider a .500 record vs. ranked teams successful.



You are not going to win them all, but you have to win your fair share. 4-12 is simply not good enough. It shows that the team rarely plays up against a good opponent. And that is a problem for a program that wants to be treated like one that is big time. The actual stats show otherwise.



Bronco's teams do not show up or play up. They beat down weaklings and build a resume doing that, then cant get it done vs. good or great teams. That is not acceptable.
M
mizzoucoug
Lawboy wrote:
I'd consider a .500 record vs. ranked teams successful.



You are not going to win them all, but you have to win your fair share. 4-12 is simply not good enough. It shows that the team rarely plays up against a good opponent. And that is a problem for a program that wants to be treated like one that is big time. The actual stats show otherwise.



Bronco's teams do not show up or play up. They beat down weaklings and build a resume doing that, then cant get it done vs. good or great teams. That is not acceptable.


Bronco relies on his D too much. Problem is that we cannot get top D1 athletes in the secondary. We finally played a good throwing team and got torn up, but this is nothing new and not unexpected. The only chance BYU as a program has to hang with the big boys is to run an explosive offense. Sure, we picked off OU playing conservative, but geez we were loaded then. Bronco's general conference philosophy will never get it done.
S
Schmoe
After thinking about it, I'd say Bronco is the Norv Turner of BYU football.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
mizzoucoug wrote:
I'd consider a .500 record vs. ranked teams successful.



You are not going to win them all, but you have to win your fair share. 4-12 is simply not good enough. It shows that the team rarely plays up against a good opponent. And that is a problem for a program that wants to be treated like one that is big time. The actual stats show otherwise.



Bronco's teams do not show up or play up. They beat down weaklings and build a resume doing that, then cant get it done vs. good or great teams. That is not acceptable.


Bronco relies on his D too much. Problem is that we cannot get top D1 athletes in the secondary. We finally played a good throwing team and got torn up, but this is nothing new and not unexpected. The only chance BYU as a program has to hang with the big boys is to run an explosive offense. Sure, we picked off OU playing conservative, but geez we were loaded then. Bronco's general conference philosophy will never get it done.

If Bronco really does rely on his defense then he should rely on his offense to stop turning the ball over like it's going out of style.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
northerncougar
Lawboy wrote:
I'd consider a .500 record vs. ranked teams successful.



You are not going to win them all, but you have to win your fair share. 4-12 is simply not good enough. It shows that the team rarely plays up against a good opponent. And that is a problem for a program that wants to be treated like one that is big time. The actual stats show otherwise.



Bronco's teams do not show up or play up. They beat down weaklings and build a resume doing that, then cant get it done vs. good or great teams. That is not acceptable.


And we will be 4-13 in a few days. Nothing has, or will change, as long as Bronco keeps doing the same things.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.