Archived Topic

(LDS) ND Alum to answer questions.....

by Irish Cougar · 10/15/2012

Advertisement
I
Irish Cougar
This is always an exciting week for me as an ND alum, I am also an active LDS member…..all my family including my wife attended BYU, I was even born at BYU. Given I went to ND they are my #1 team, but I have always followed BYU and grew up attending games. I am happy to answer any questions about ND’s program etc. I prefer not to get into “why would an active LDS RM go to ND”……let’s just say everyone gets their own answers.



It seems to me that more ND fans are giving BYU a shot than BYU fans are giving themselves a shot. As an ND fan we are scared to death of trap games and this is an ultimate trap game for ND. We just had a very emotional win over a good team…..the week after the BYU game we travel to OU, which will be a HUGE game with two (likely) top ten teams playing and BYU has a fantastic defense. Also note, ND’s offense has struggled at times and if they do struggle against BYU’s tough defense it could be close……you get a few tough bounces or key plays and the game could go the other way.



I believe ND will win, but if I had to guess I would say ND does not cover the 14 pt. spread. I would guess a 17-6 or 20-6 type game in ND’s favor.



My view on ND:



Offense:



We have a lot of talent at RB, we have a big stable of RB’s who could start anywhere. Our TE (Eifert) is one of the top in the country and will be playing in the NFL on Sunday’s. Our O-line is slightly above average and has played against some top d-lineman. Our WR’s can be talented, but they are very young……likely 1-2 years off of being very good and still make some mistakes. Our QB is sporadic. Golson is very talented, he has the best arm of the bunch and is very mobile……his issue is reading the game and defense, he often misses the reads and throws the ball a second or two late….if he can get on track he will be VERY good, he is the equivalent of a RS Freshman. Tommy Rees is the back-up and more experienced, he makes the right reads and gets the ball out fast, he is not as talented physically and his arm is weaker. Tommy is a great change of pace guy and can come in to finish games or make the right calls. We have last years #1 throwing QB out of HS, he de-committed from LSU to ND……he will be good, but we would discuss him until ND/BYU play each other in several years. If BYU can confuse Golson (assuming he plays, he had a concussion against Stanford) and control the run ND will be contained. I believe ND will start slow on offense, they have all year, if they don’t it could be a long day for BYU. BYU will have success and force a lot of punts, BYU needs to play the field position game and win this. I believe ND will make some plays as will BYU’s defense, but believe by the end of the game ND moves they ball and has some success running.



Defense:



ND’s defense is fantastic, it has been 4 games since they have given up an offensive TD (stopped Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford and Miami from reaching the end zone) and they have given up ZERO rushing TD’s in 2012. Our front 7 is as good as there is in the country. Our secondary is tough but very young, and will give up big plays to top WR’s, but they have held in all year. Athletic WR’s could give us trouble. Our LB’s and D-line are fantastic and if they bring their A-game BYU will not be able to run the ball and Riley better be able to pass the ball. Manti is the heart and soul of the defense (and team) and he is a beast. Given Riley is the QB I don’t see BYU having success on offense unless they break some big plays……Doman needs to be creative or it will be a long day. If Riley tries to put his head down and run I really worry about his health.



Should be a good game that is tight at half, thinking 10-3 type game. I see ND pulling away (10 pts or so) in 3rd/4th quarter. I pray ND is focused on BYU vs OU. I hope the best for BYU, they were my favorite team growing up, and I still cheer for them every game except for when they play ND…..I make it to a BYU game or two a year.



On a side note, I know many people are not happy with Manti at BYU given his choice of University. I have met him many times and he is a fantastic young man, he is a great example of an LDS kid (like many kids not perfect, but he is great). I was excited when he chose ND, there is a good number of LDS kids who have studied there and it gives more insights into the LDS culture. It is a great story on how he chose ND, I know there is debate on how an LDS kid could not choose BYU…..but he spent time praying about where and he got his answer and he has had good experiences since then. I have had more LDS questions since he signed at ND vs all other times at ND. Please let’s not debate Manti, so I thought I would get this off the board immediately…..no matter your opinion on his decision he is a great football player and quality young man.



Happy to answer any questions! ND will be nice and friendly to any visitors on Saturday, I will be there an happy to answer any questions.



Best of luck Saturday!!!!!!
I
Irish Cougar
Also.....I have job so some responses may be delayed.
M
mizzoucoug
Don't worry. Bronco's defense is designed to stop poor passing offenses. In other words your QB will have at least 5 seconds per pass play to find someone and he will. If BYU finds some way to get consistent pressure they have a chance.
B
BoiseBYU
Welcome to the Board and thanks for the insights. ND sure looks for real this year. The talent they always recruit actually seem to be performing to expectations this year.
I
Irish Cougar
BoiseBYU wrote:
Welcome to the Board and thanks for the insights. ND sure looks for real this year. The talent they always recruit actually seem to be performing to expectations this year.




Thank you. We finally have a coach who understands college football, Charlie did not and I am not sure Ty understood football period. We will be getting better and better as we get experience.



BYU makes me sick. They have talent, I know Doman and played against him in HS. I thought he would be great, I was wrong.......as much as I love the guy he needs to be gone.



On a side note Heaps will have a lot of coaching at KU by Charlie, but will lose a lot of games. Charlie is known to spend all his time with the offense, specifically the QB's and not known to develop others. It could be ugly for Heaps, Charlie can help him but Heaps does not have the talent around him and Charlie is not capable of developing it. Not a good decision by Heaps.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Tell me more about Kona Schwenke (former BYU commit) and Chris Badger (Utahn kid). Starter and redshirt?
C
CAFB_04-12
Well, I thought the Oregon St game was going to be a defensive slugfest, so that shows you how much I know. I think Notre Dame is just too good on both sides of the ball for us to compete. BYU will hang through the first half, and maybe the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter, but again we'll see that BYU simply can't put together a solid 4 quarters of play.



ND 28 BYU 14
I
Irish Cougar
Mars wrote:


Tell me more about Kona Schwenke (former BYU commit) and Chris Badger (Utahn kid). Starter and redshirt?




Kona is a Jr, back-up and has had a tough time breaking through. He plays behind young talented guys. His best year was his freshman year. He came in his sophomore year out of shape and sat the bench the first half the season. He plays to give guys a wind, mainly Nix. Kona did come in during one play during the Stanford stand due to injury.



Badger is well liked and redshirting, he wrote in from his mission and various letters sent around ND mags etc. He is well respected as a great kid. He is in a tough spot as we did A LOT of safety recruiting, we had a ton of injuries and could not crack the two deep vs other freshman jr's. He is still "recovering" from the mission and is not in football shape yet. He may have a shot but it will be a few years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Irish Cougar
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Well, I thought the Oregon St game was going to be a defensive slugfest, so that shows you how much I know. I think Notre Dame is just too good on both sides of the ball for us to compete. BYU will hang through the first half, and maybe the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter, but again we'll see that BYU simply can't put together a solid 4 quarters of play.



ND 28 BYU 14


Almost my exact thoughts. It could get ugly if byu turns the ball over early, if ND does the same could let BYU in for an upset.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Irish Cougar wrote:


Almost my exact thoughts. It could get ugly if byu turns the ball over early, if ND does the same could let BYU in for an upset.


Despite all the reasons people are listing for why BYU can't beat Notre Dame, this is really the biggest one. As killer as their defense is, their offense isn't all that great. Especially considering they're more of a power running team, which we defend well against. So the big danger is them making a lot of hay by their defense forcing turnovers. Which, as we know, comes easily with Nelson. Conversely, as good as our defense is, we don't force turnovers all that much.



If you go back and look at the stats in the big games BYU has lost again and again - turnovers stand out probably more than anything else. It's like after 2006 and maybe 2007, ball security was no longer a priority at BYU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.