Archived Topic

Adjustments Needed

by byucougar1 · 10/15/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Like most of you, I was more impressed with OSU as the game progressed and had initially questioned whether they deserved their ranking. However, it appeared this also caught Bronco by surprise as he admitted he questioned whether the Beavers were as good as their ranking. I would have thought that with a new QB our DL would have brought pressure to see how Vaz responds. We went with 3. Their OL gave him all day to throw (no pressure) and wait for his NFL receivers to get open - too much time for our DBs to have to cover. Once we decided to bring pressure, we couldn't stop the run. They gashed us. OSU OL dominated our D and made us look like amateurs. Not sure I really understand how good we really were.

The Beavers were head and shoulders above any other offense that BYU has seen this year. Both OSU receivers are NFL-caliber players and the offensive line has really improved over last season. The front five did a solid job of neutralizing Ziggy Ansah and Kyle Van Noy. Meanwhile, Vaz played like an experienced veteran and wasn’t rattled even though he took multiple big hits from the BYU defense. He was supposed to be the weak link for Oregon State, but proved to be the difference in the game.



As noted in Deep Shades of Blue, "The group that was most rattled was the BYU secondary, which struggled to cover the Beaver receivers. Cougar corner Jordan Johnson had a particularly difficult day trying to check Cooks. Even when Oregon State was employing max protection against a three-man BYU rush, Vaz was still able to find his receivers. And of course, if three receivers can get open against eight defenders, it’s going to be a long day for the defense."



On offense, our OL continued to struggle to offer pass protection and establish the run. My disappointment included TEs dropping catchable passes, Riley throwing consistently at feet of Apo, and also forcing passes into tight coverage.



If we don't improve for ND and GT, we end up with worse record than last year and seemingly a regression in improvement. Hope Bronco and company wake up and make adjustments, or we get embarrassed in the next two weeks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarfan87
We will get embarrassed next week. Short of a flu going through the entire Notre Dame team, I don't see us making it competitive. I hope I am really wrong about that. It is college football, and on any given Saturday...but that doesn't really happen for BYU, well since 1990, anyway.



On the bright side, I think we handle Georgia Tech well, especially after we go to Atlanta 4-4 (should be motivation to improve). Georgia Tech does not throw the deep ball well--our achilles heel. And we defend the run really, really well.



I foresee a 9-4 season (perhaps we'll get a second crack at Boise State--I would love another chance at them).
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.