Archived Topic

If you could assemble BYU's HC, DC, OC - who would they be?

by KingCoug · 10/14/2012

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Asked this question over on Cougarboard but, despite all the complaining about coaching, not many seemed to have any real answers.
S
snoscythe
HC- Bronco Mendenhall

DC- Bronco Mendenhall

OC- Bob Bostad
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
HC- Bronco Mendenhall

DC- Bronco Mendenhall

OC- Bob Bostad


Yup. I'd also officially hire Chad Lewis (upon giving Weber his walking papers) and then if Reynolds wants to stick around more than give him the option of sticking with the tight ends or going to the line... whichever one he doesn't want, I would have Lewis coach. Then when Reynolds moves on, have Lewis coach both the Oline and the TEs. Now you have an open spot for just the qb coach, which I would offer back to Doman, or give to Hall depending on how that all ended/went down.



The funny thing is that fans don't realize that we have options.



PLENTY of people want to coach at BYU.



Queue "the Bibster" talking about someone not wanting to take a "pay cut" in 3.......2........1.......
K
KingCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:




Yup. I'd also officially hire Chad Lewis (upon giving Weber his walking papers) and then if Reynolds wants to stick around more than give him the option of sticking with the tight ends or going to the line... whichever one he doesn't want, I would have Lewis coach. Then when Reynolds moves on, have Lewis coach both the Oline and the TEs. Now you have an open spot for just the qb coach, which I would offer back to Doman, or give to Hall depending on how that all ended/went down.



The funny thing is that fans don't realize that we have options.



PLENTY of people want to coach at BYU.



Queue "the Bibster" talking about someone not wanting to take a "pay cut" in 3.......2........1.......


I believe the board of trustees just allocated a bunch more money to BYU. So the money is there if they wanted to use it to raise coaching salaries. Which, in my opinion, should be the #1 priority. Don't waste money on frivolous crap.
H
HoosierCougar
snoscythe wrote:
HC- Bronco Mendenhall

DC- Bronco Mendenhall

OC- Bob Bostad




I'd agree with you on HC and DC. BYU being the place it is, I don't think there's anyone more suited to run the show that Bronco Mendenhall. And his D has been severely good. I think he learned some lessons vs OSU this week and I expect him to apply them going forward.



As for OC, I'd like to hear the case for Bostad. I just don't know that much about him. His coaching resume is solid, but he is relatively inexperienced as a coordinator. I'd prefer to have an OC with a track record.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
HC-Andy Reid*

DC-Bronco Mendenhall

OC-Darrell Bevell

QB Coach-Ty Detmer



*I think Bronco is a fantastic head coach and wouldn't want him bumped down for Andy Reid, but think this would have been awesome had things shaken out differently.
C
Cougs_Rule
The best OC is going to be hamstrung by Bronco who demands a ball control offense and is into picking the qb he wants--winner and loser.

Bronco always talks about learning and getting better" I hope he learns that even a ball control and pet qb can turn the ball over just as much as a Gun and run offense.
I
Irish Cougar
Schmoe wrote:
HC-Andy Reid*

DC-Bronco Mendenhall

OC-Darrell Bevell

QB Coach-Ty Detmer



*I think Bronco is a fantastic head coach and wouldn't want him bumped down for Andy Reid, but think this would have been awesome had things shaken out differently.


Sounds like a fantastic coaching staff.



The name that never comes up is Ken Niumatalolo (Navy's coach), he is LDS. He is not an NFL name or "Nick Saban" level.....but those are unrealistic. Ken is well respected and his players would run through a wall for him...he has done a nice job. He is not an option only coach, unfortunately that is the system he must use given the roster. This is a more likely name, and hire a pro-style OC, plus he would do great with the polynesian pipeline.
R
rblack
According to this article from 2011, BYU is close to market rate for what they pay their coaches. I doubt we have any coaches making the top end for their profession, however, it is my understanding that the current coaches are payed a marketable rate.



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/52199010-88/byu-coaches-pay-average.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



With that said, I would stay with Bronco and Doman, add a quarterbacks coach (Detmer), say goodbye to Weber and bring in someone like Eli Herring as a graduate assistant.
C
Cougs_Rule
Irish Cougar wrote:
HC-Andy Reid*

DC-Bronco Mendenhall

OC-Darrell Bevell

QB Coach-Ty Detmer



*I think Bronco is a fantastic head coach and wouldn't want him bumped down for Andy Reid, but think this would have been awesome had things shaken out differently.


Sounds like a fantastic coaching staff.



The name that never comes up is Ken Niumatalolo (Navy's coach), he is LDS. He is not an NFL name or "Nick Saban" level.....but those are unrealistic. Ken is well respected and his players would run through a wall for him...he has done a nice job. He is not an option only coach, unfortunately that is the system he must use given the roster. This is a more likely name, and hire a pro-style OC, plus he would do great with the polynesian pipeline.


D you have any evidence to support this? Otherwise this would be going the absolute wrong way. One more option minded guy on this staff and we will never get back to a passing attack. Wild you say he has "Grit."?
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Irish Cougar wrote:
HC-Andy Reid*

DC-Bronco Mendenhall

OC-Darrell Bevell

QB Coach-Ty Detmer



*I think Bronco is a fantastic head coach and wouldn't want him bumped down for Andy Reid, but think this would have been awesome had things shaken out differently.


Sounds like a fantastic coaching staff.



The name that never comes up is Ken Niumatalolo (Navy's coach), he is LDS. He is not an NFL name or "Nick Saban" level.....but those are unrealistic. Ken is well respected and his players would run through a wall for him...he has done a nice job. He is not an option only coach, unfortunately that is the system he must use given the roster. This is a more likely name, and hire a pro-style OC, plus he would do great with the polynesian pipeline.


D you have any evidence to support this? Otherwise this would be going the absolute wrong way. One more option minded guy on this staff and we will never get back to a passing attack. Would you say he has "Grit" and can subordinate to an HC who "doesn't know anything about offense." ;-)
I
Irish Cougar
dmcougar wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
HC-Andy Reid*

DC-Bronco Mendenhall

OC-Darrell Bevell

QB Coach-Ty Detmer



*I think Bronco is a fantastic head coach and wouldn't want him bumped down for Andy Reid, but think this would have been awesome had things shaken out differently.


Sounds like a fantastic coaching staff.



The name that never comes up is Ken Niumatalolo (Navy's coach), he is LDS. He is not an NFL name or "Nick Saban" level.....but those are unrealistic. Ken is well respected and his players would run through a wall for him...he has done a nice job. He is not an option only coach, unfortunately that is the system he must use given the roster. This is a more likely name, and hire a pro-style OC, plus he would do great with the polynesian pipeline.


D you have any evidence to support this? Otherwise this would be going the absolute wrong way. One more option minded guy on this staff and we will never get back to a passing attack. Would you say he has "Grit" and can subordinate to an HC who "doesn't know anything about offense." ;-)




No evidence other than word of mouth from Navy fans I have met. Less pure wishbone and certain years brought more throwing into the mix. He has run the OL. I see him as more of a CEO vs a coach integrated in the day to day.



Not the ideal pick, I fully admit that, but there are not many plausible options. This is really the only established type guy I see BYU getting. Ideally it would have been to grow a staff organically, but that has not worked well.
Y
Y 4 Ever
No rules? Good. Here's my list:



HC: knute rockne

OC: bill Walsh

DC: Robert neyland



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Irish Cougar wrote:
Irish Cougar wrote:
HC-Andy Reid*

DC-Bronco Mendenhall

OC-Darrell Bevell

QB Coach-Ty Detmer



*I think Bronco is a fantastic head coach and wouldn't want him bumped down for Andy Reid, but think this would have been awesome had things shaken out differently.


Sounds like a fantastic coaching staff.



The name that never comes up is Ken Niumatalolo (Navy's coach), he is LDS. He is not an NFL name or "Nick Saban" level.....but those are unrealistic. Ken is well respected and his players would run through a wall for him...he has done a nice job. He is not an option only coach, unfortunately that is the system he must use given the roster. This is a more likely name, and hire a pro-style OC, plus he would do great with the polynesian pipeline.


D you have any evidence to support this? Otherwise this would be going the absolute wrong way. One more option minded guy on this staff and we will never get back to a passing attack. Would you say he has "Grit" and can subordinate to an HC who "doesn't know anything about offense." ;-)




No evidence other than word of mouth from Navy fans I have met. Less pure wishbone and certain years brought more throwing into the mix. He has run the OL. I see him as more of a CEO vs a coach integrated in the day to day.



Not the ideal pick, I fully admit that, but there are not many plausible options. This is really the only established type guy I see BYU getting. Ideally it would have been to grow a staff organically, but that has not worked well.


If you have watched Navy football this year, you'll see A LOT more passing than in previous years at any service academy, and they're fairly successful with it, too.
S
scott715
Except for winning lately.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
No one knows more about play calling than Blue is Better. For head coach MizzouCoug knows what it takes to right this sinking ship. So I'd go with those guys ;)
B
Brayden Green
BoiseBYU wrote:
No one knows more about play calling than Blue is Better. For head coach MizzouCoug knows what it takes to right this sinking ship. So I'd go with those guys ;)






Run a freaking half back screen once in a while to keep the defense honest!!!!









That's all I got. 8)
B
BoiseBYU
BlueIsBetter wrote:
No one knows more about play calling than Blue is Better. For head coach MizzouCoug knows what it takes to right this sinking ship. So I'd go with those guys ;)






Run a freaking half back screen once in a while to keep the defense honest!!!!









That's all I got. 8)


I'm sold!
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
HC- Bronco Mendenhall

DC- Bronco Mendenhall

OC- Bob Bostad


Yup. I'd also officially hire Chad Lewis (upon giving Weber his walking papers) and then if Reynolds wants to stick around more than give him the option of sticking with the tight ends or going to the line... whichever one he doesn't want, I would have Lewis coach. Then when Reynolds moves on, have Lewis coach both the Oline and the TEs. Now you have an open spot for just the qb coach, which I would offer back to Doman, or give to Hall depending on how that all ended/went down.



The funny thing is that fans don't realize that we have options.



PLENTY of people want to coach at BYU.



Queue "the Bibster" talking about someone not wanting to take a "pay cut" in 3.......2........1.......


Sure Blue - let's load up on some more totally inexperienced coaches. And yes - they, like Doman as OC, will not need to take a pay cut. Remind me what Chad Lewis was doing when BYU gave him an office job after passing him up for a coaching job? Nothing. Yes Blue - we can get all of those we want. And I know you were on the fire Anae and hire Doman train.



We fire a bunch of coaches after 2010. We got a bunch of coaching nobodies including our option RB coach that somehow gets a pass. And Cahoon, whom I like - but what has he done for your man crush Apo.



You will see what we get. We will keep getting what we have been getting for all the same reasons. KW turned BYU down Blue. KW. We almost got Reynolds S HC until something reversed and we got Bronco. Let us not forget Crowton and the forgettable coaches he brought. Strength and Conditioning guy being the most hyped.



But we get your pattern Blue: It is SIMPLY this - very simply



The best player is the hyped player sitting on the bench

The best coach is the hyped former player with no experience or the hyped coach who would never give serious consideration to coming here.



Dream On.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.