Archived Topic

Really!?

by frdbtr · 10/14/2012

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BYU's #5 ranked defense in the country (not anymore) gives up 450 yards of offense 332 passing, 118 rushing, 5 touchdowns, 10.4 yards per average pass attempt and 16.6 yards per completion and Riley Nelson and the offense are responsible for the loss in some way? Unbelievable. Riley wasn't perfect today but he was good enough to have won this game if the Defense gets stops. I was at the game and that first drive was EASY it didn't look like we had a defense. Even without the pick 6 in the 4th quarter BYU gave up 14 points in that quarter and the drives were EASY, hardly any resistance. All this to a team who was using its back up QB. I am willing to ascribe blame if our offense had floundered and we would have lost 10-3 or something but we scored 24 points. The defense lost this game.
S
SpiffCoug
The defense got stops on 3rd down (OS was like 2-11). They just gave up too many yards on 1st and 2nd down.



The offense left points on the board too. Riley missed a streaking Falslev for a 50+ yard TD. He threw an INT in or near the blue zone. And the pick 6.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
The defense got stops on 3rd down (OS was like 2-11). They just gave up too many yards on 1st and 2nd down.



The offense left points on the board too. Riley missed a streaking Falslev for a 50+ yard TD. He threw an INT in or near the blue zone. And the pick 6.


OSU's 1st drive was 6 plays 75 yards 2:31 off the clock. Their second TD came on 2 plays 67 yards :28 seconds off the clock. They had a 10 play scoring drive and an 8 play scoring drive and then topped it off with a 5 play 77 yard scoring drive. I didn't say that Riley Nelson was perfect but even with his mistakes, BYU should have won if our defense was legitimately #5 in the country. If we play Defense against OSU like we thought they were capable of, we win. When Ty detmer beat Miami, it was because of the defense. He was very good in that game but he also threw a pick and BYU fumbled a 4 times. If the Defense hadn't risen up, BYU would have lost that game. You can't give up 450 yards and 5 touchdowns on your own field against a top 10 opponent and expect to win even with Payton Manning as your starting QB.
F
frdbtr
BYU gave up a 180.59 PER to a guy who had never started a college game before in his life. The formerly #5 ranked defense in the nation. This loss is on the defense. I thought our vaunted defense was supposed to be licking its chops at the prospects of having a guy behind center that had never started a game before. I guess OSU's offense was actually the ones licking thier chops and made fools out of our guys.
N
northerncougar
frdbtr wrote:
BYU gave up a 180.59 PER to a guy who had never started a college game before in his life. The formerly #5 ranked defense in the nation. This loss is on the defense. I thought our vaunted defense was supposed to be licking its chops at the prospects of having a guy behind center that had never started a game before. I guess OSU's offense was actually the ones licking thier chops and made fools out of our guys.


Wow. You must be Riley's mom. The whole team sucked today. Props to OSU for being a good team but we learned several things:



1. Our D is massively over-rated. They had great numbers based on playing really poor offenses.



2. Riley is horrible. Just plain horrible. He left at least 3 more TD's on the field.



3. Our coaching staff is still a bunch of clowns.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
The defense will still probably end the year being the best statistically BYU has had. But we definitely got exposed today. It was ridiculous.



But what else is new? Big game + national exposure = BYU pissing down their leg.
F
frdbtr
northerncougar wrote:
BYU gave up a 180.59 PER to a guy who had never started a college game before in his life. The formerly #5 ranked defense in the nation. This loss is on the defense. I thought our vaunted defense was supposed to be licking its chops at the prospects of having a guy behind center that had never started a game before. I guess OSU's offense was actually the ones licking thier chops and made fools out of our guys.


Wow. You must be Riley's mom. The whole team sucked today. Props to OSU for being a good team but we learned several things:



1. Our D is massively over-rated. They had great numbers based on playing really poor offenses.



2. Riley is horrible. Just plain horrible. He left at least 3 more TD's on the field.



3. Our coaching staff is still a bunch of clowns.


3? where? I saw an interception when BYU was in scoring position (wasn't even in the red zone yet). He missed Falslev barely on that long route but that is not a guaranteed 6, someone could have caught him from behind. Even without those "3" scores that are entirely Riley Nelson's fault for not getting them, if BYU doesn't give up 5, count them, 5 touchdowns to a career backup QB we win the game.



I didn't say Riley was perfect, he played pretty poorly but this loss is on the defense. Even with his poor play, if BYU's defense plays like it was ranked, we win.
B
Brayden Green
The defense held OSU to 30 yards in the second quarter.



30 yards.



If we had an offense that was better than a junior high school than we could have taken advantage of that and got up big, but we didn't.



This loss isn't on the solely on the offense, or solely on the defense.



If Cody Hoffman blocks the guy in front of him for once in his damned life instead of just watching him tackle than the score is 28 - 28 with an 80+ yard TD run by Williams, and plenty of time on the clock.



There is a lot of people at blame for this loss, and one of them is Riley Nelson. One of them is Bronco, for thinking that we were good enough in the secondary to go one on one against their WRs. We aren't, just in case anyone missed the first quarter of single coverage in the secondary and stacking the box.
B
Brayden Green
Also, a "no holds barred" approach defending a guy with a 99 PER might not be the best idea...



Riley has 1 TD and 6 INT's in his last 2 games. :whistle:
C
Cougs_Rule
Did you mean , "Riley!?". Yes, Riley was very average, the WR were very average, the run are was very average, and the play calling was very average. We have a very average offense designed around a very average qb.

The Defense has been saving the O's A all year. They arent perfect. Had an average game for them and the offense could not keep up, produce, score points. They are average! And a Sr QB underperformed. Sure would have been nice if both units showed up. But they didn't.
Advertisement
S
SHIZ
frdbtr wrote:

3? where? I saw an interception when BYU was in scoring position (wasn't even in the red zone yet). He missed Falslev barely on that long route but that is not a guaranteed 6, someone could have caught him from behind. Even without those "3" scores that are entirely Riley Nelson's fault for not getting them, if BYU doesn't give up 5, count them, 5 touchdowns to a career backup QB we win the game.



I didn't say Riley was perfect, he played pretty poorly but this loss is on the defense. Even with his poor play, if BYU's defense plays like it was ranked, we win.


or, maybe this 'career backup QB' is just a whole lot better than riley nelson.



sorry, mrs. nelson.
S
SHIZ
but yeah you're right, if our D shuts them out, we totally win this game.



probably the toughest test of the year for the defense, would be nice since they've been bailing out the O all year if the O could have returned the favor.
G
Gunk
We sucked all around, although Doman called a pretty good game.



Friel sucked today. Riley was off and the secondary got smoked.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
FurriousCougar
frdbtr wrote:
BYU's #5 ranked defense in the country (not anymore) gives up 450 yards of offense 332 passing, 118 rushing, 5 touchdowns, 10.4 yards per average pass attempt and 16.6 yards per completion and Riley Nelson and the offense are responsible for the loss in some way? Unbelievable. Riley wasn't perfect today but he was good enough to have won this game if the Defense gets stops. I was at the game and that first drive was EASY it didn't look like we had a defense. Even without the pick 6 in the 4th quarter BYU gave up 14 points in that quarter and the drives were EASY, hardly any resistance. All this to a team who was using its back up QB. I am willing to ascribe blame if our offense had floundered and we would have lost 10-3 or something but we scored 24 points. The defense lost this game.


First of all, I figured it out guys, frdbtr is actually Bronco posting on cougarcorner (I suppose this gives some validation to the argument that the BYU coaching staff DOES read cougarcorner. I knew it!).



Seriously though, talk about throwing out a red herring to mask your love of Nelson. The only thing that is "unbelievable" is that you're mad at everyone for blaming the loss ENTIRELY on Nelson (which, maybe I'm missing them, but I haven't really seen much of that argument), yet you make the statement that, "the defense lost this game". I mean really? That's what's unbelievable - they've played outstanding this whole year and the one bad game they play you throw the whole loss on them. It's not all the defenses fault dude - I mean obviously ANY QB can win a game if the defense shuts them out (oh wait...except Riley **cough cough** Riley vs. Boise St. **cough cough** - thing is - that's normally not gonna happen.



I think I saw you post somewhere about how Nelson is as good a quarterback as Hall and said, "show me where I'm wrong" - seriously? Look, I realize playing in college and playing in the NFL is not the same thing - but I'm pretty sure 100s of NFL scouts would show you where you're wrong there seeing as how on no planet would Riley EVER be considered for the NFL - whereas Hall made it there. That's a pretty good indicator that Hall is a LOT better - and a pretty obvious at that. The audacity of that statement is astounding.



Also, I'm sure you think Nelson played an amazing game - which he did not. 3 picks. Oh, but I'm sure you think #2 wasn't his fault and was "unlucky" for him. Okay fine, well it was "unlucky" for our defense that you want to peg the loss on that they tipped a pass that happened to fall right into the hands of the OSU receiver in the end zone when it could have been an INT. And it was super lucky that Nelson had 2 VERY BAD FUMBLES that we were very lucky to get back. It was also very lucky that there was at least one pass he threw that should have been picked and wasn't. Sure, Nelson could have easily only had 2 two turnovers this game - but he also could have easily had SIX TURNOVERS (I can already imagine you referencing the Max Hall vs. Utah game...).



On top of this, he threw (and always does) a very large number of inaccurate throws this game that should have been easy completions. Even when he does make completions - he very rarely hits a man in stride (and yes, I realize there are some situations when you don't want to - but for the most part our receivers could and should be getting a lot more YAC than they should). Additionally, even he makes completions, there are many times where there was a much better option available - he is HORRIBLE at looking around or checking down for open/better options. You can't really measure this, but if you watch and look at the receivers, you'll see he misses a lot of opportunities.



Lastly, when you continually kill momentum by making all the worst decisions at all the worst times (as Riley has a knack for), it's a pretty big shot to the D and momentum. I'd start losing my fire if I were playing D on this BYU team. It's also hard to play D from behind the whole game too I'm sure - it would have been nice to go ahead at the points where we should have capitalized and stolen some momentum on our home field.
F
FurriousCougar
I'm not gonna go through and proof read what I just wrote either - so excuse the errors.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
FurriousCougar wrote:
BYU's #5 ranked defense in the country (not anymore) gives up 450 yards of offense 332 passing, 118 rushing, 5 touchdowns, 10.4 yards per average pass attempt and 16.6 yards per completion and Riley Nelson and the offense are responsible for the loss in some way? Unbelievable. Riley wasn't perfect today but he was good enough to have won this game if the Defense gets stops. I was at the game and that first drive was EASY it didn't look like we had a defense. Even without the pick 6 in the 4th quarter BYU gave up 14 points in that quarter and the drives were EASY, hardly any resistance. All this to a team who was using its back up QB. I am willing to ascribe blame if our offense had floundered and we would have lost 10-3 or something but we scored 24 points. The defense lost this game.


First of all, I figured it out guys, frdbtr is actually Bronco posting on cougarcorner (I suppose this gives some validation to the argument that the BYU coaching staff DOES read cougarcorner. I knew it!).



Seriously though, talk about throwing out a red herring to mask your love of Nelson. The only thing that is "unbelievable" is that you're mad at everyone for blaming the loss ENTIRELY on Nelson (which, maybe I'm missing them, but I haven't really seen much of that argument), yet you make the statement that, "the defense lost this game". I mean really? That's what's unbelievable - they've played outstanding this whole year and the one bad game they play you throw the whole loss on them. It's not all the defenses fault dude - I mean obviously ANY QB can win a game if the defense shuts them out (oh wait...except Riley **cough cough** Riley vs. Boise St. **cough cough** - thing is - that's normally not gonna happen.



I think I saw you post somewhere about how Nelson is as good a quarterback as Hall and said, "show me where I'm wrong" - seriously? Look, I realize playing in college and playing in the NFL is not the same thing - but I'm pretty sure 100s of NFL scouts would show you where you're wrong there seeing as how on no planet would Riley EVER be considered for the NFL - whereas Hall made it there. That's a pretty good indicator that Hall is a LOT better - and a pretty obvious at that. The audacity of that statement is astounding.



Also, I'm sure you think Nelson played an amazing game - which he did not. 3 picks. Oh, but I'm sure you think #2 wasn't his fault and was "unlucky" for him. Okay fine, well it was "unlucky" for our defense that you want to peg the loss on that they tipped a pass that happened to fall right into the hands of the OSU receiver in the end zone when it could have been an INT. And it was super lucky that Nelson had 2 VERY BAD FUMBLES that we were very lucky to get back. It was also very lucky that there was at least one pass he threw that should have been picked and wasn't. Sure, Nelson could have easily only had 2 two turnovers this game - but he also could have easily had SIX TURNOVERS (I can already imagine you referencing the Max Hall vs. Utah game...).



On top of this, he threw (and always does) a very large number of inaccurate throws this game that should have been easy completions. Even when he does make completions - he very rarely hits a man in stride (and yes, I realize there are some situations when you don't want to - but for the most part our receivers could and should be getting a lot more YAC than they should). Additionally, even he makes completions, there are many times where there was a much better option available - he is HORRIBLE at looking around or checking down for open/better options. You can't really measure this, but if you watch and look at the receivers, you'll see he misses a lot of opportunities.



Lastly, when you continually kill momentum by making all the worst decisions at all the worst times (as Riley has a knack for), it's a pretty big shot to the D and momentum. I'd start losing my fire if I were playing D on this BYU team. It's also hard to play D from behind the whole game too I'm sure - it would have been nice to go ahead at the points where we should have capitalized and stolen some momentum on our home field.


1st of all, I never said Riley was as good as Max Hall. I said that His and Riley's JR year stats were comparable. Riley wasn't lights out yesterday but he played well enough for BYU to win the game if the defense had played as well as they had been billed (top 5 defense in the country). I guess if pointing out the obvious makes me Riley's mother or Bronco mendenhall in disguise then I am guilty as charged. By the way, I watched the sports shows last night and heard multiple defensive players apologise for the loss. The team knows who lost the game yesterday and it wasn't the offense.
S
Schmoe
Yep, frdbtr must be Bronco, because Bronco would blame himself as the D coordinator for not taking enough time to get the D prepared to play this top-ten offense and instead focusing too much on making sure our dismal O was actually going to move the ball this week.



Anyone on here who objectively points out that, for once this season, the loss doesn't fall on the shoulders of the QB is either Riley himself, related to Riley, or Bronco (which doesn't even make sense, logic fail right there) right?



We lost to a better team. Their offense, especially passing game/O-line was phenomenal, their D was good enough, and we had trouble hanging onto the ball and making big plays on either side of the ball when it mattered. We played a top ten team very close, but they're a better team, get over it.
S
SpiffCoug
Riley wasn't good enough yesterday. A 99.84 is not good enough under almost any circumstances.



BYU has 46 sub-100 PER games since 1987. BYU's record is 8-38 (.174). Of those 46 games, nine have come in the last three seasons.



Think about that. From 1987-2009 BYU played 305 games, they had 38 sub-100 PER games or 12.5%. Since then BYU has had nine such games in just 30 contests or 30%. You can't win games when you are getting such poor play from your most important position.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
Riley wasn't good enough yesterday. A 99.84 is not good enough under almost any circumstances.



BYU has 46 sub-100 PER games since 1987. BYU's record is 8-38 (.174). Of those 46 games, nine have come in the last three seasons.



Think about that. From 1987-2009 BYU played 305 games, they had 38 sub-100 PER games or 12.5%. Since then BYU has had nine such games in just 30 contests or 30%. You can't win games when you are getting such poor play from your most important position.


What was Riley's PER when the score was 28-24 at about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter? Remember, when all we needed was a defensive stop so the offense could go out and try to win the game? I have a feeling it was a bit higher than 99.84. The defense failed in this game, every time BYU needed a stop the defense didn't get one.
M
Mingjai
frdbtr wrote:
Riley wasn't good enough yesterday. A 99.84 is not good enough under almost any circumstances.



BYU has 46 sub-100 PER games since 1987. BYU's record is 8-38 (.174). Of those 46 games, nine have come in the last three seasons.



Think about that. From 1987-2009 BYU played 305 games, they had 38 sub-100 PER games or 12.5%. Since then BYU has had nine such games in just 30 contests or 30%. You can't win games when you are getting such poor play from your most important position.


What was Riley's PER when the score was 28-24 at about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter? Remember, when all we needed was a defensive stop so the offense could go out and try to win the game? I have a feeling it was a bit higher than 99.84. The defense failed in this game, every time BYU needed a stop the defense didn't get one.


Not by much. When BYU kicked the field goal to close the score to 28-24, Riley's line was 26/46, 259 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT for a PER of 106.6.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.