Archived Topic

That was a balanced offense

by Gunk · 10/14/2012

Advertisement
G
Gunk
I hope Bronco and Doman were taking notes because OSU just gave them a lesson in what a balanced offense really looks like. March down the field throwing the ball then when the defense sets up to stop the pass hit them with the run. None of this 2 passing plays and the two running plays.



Amazing what happens when you have an OL that can block and a QB that can throw. I'd take that any day of the week over Doman and Bronco's mobile QB live-fest.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
I actually think that Doman called a pretty good game today. I'm still not sure why he didn't call this type of game last week when he had a better QB in the game.
S
Schmoe
The run didn't start working for OSU until the fourth quarter. It was a good offense, definitely, but I don't see how you don't call that a downfield passing offense. They had 19 yards rushing in the first half, definitely not a balanced offense.
S
SHIZ
i don't know, our offense could have been better but it was moving the ball and putting points on the board and keeping up with OSU until mistakes at the end. and if we had got some points instead of a red zone turnover on that drive, we could have been ahead.
F
frdbtr
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I actually think that Doman called a pretty good game today. I'm still not sure why he didn't call this type of game last week when he had a better QB in the game.


Because his Freshman QB wasn't capable of running it yet. Riley Nelson is the reason Doman's play calling all of a sudden looked competent. When you have a guy that knows the entire play book and executes it, it makes the Ocoordinator look good. Hill will look very good when he has been in the offense longer, right now he is still learning.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Schmoe wrote:
The run didn't start working for OSU until the fourth quarter. It was a good offense, definitely, but I don't see how you don't call that a downfield passing offense. They had 19 yards rushing in the first half, definitely not a balanced offense.

I'll have to look it up, but I think OSU put up 93 rushing yards in the 3rd quarter.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mjk5
The offensive play calling and execution of OSU was brilliant. It wasn't their athleticism that beat us although they weren't short on that either. Their running game picked up nicely once they had set it up with their passing game. The best rush defense will look bad when 8 guys drop in coverage.



It seems Doman has about 10 plays he runs repeatedly and that's it. Very little variation or misdirection. I correctly guessed about 3/4 of our plays based on the formation (and I'm an idiot). So I've no doubt the opposing defenses have a much better idea of what we're going to run.



For the last time, retire that stupid inside sweep (or whatever it's called)!! We ran it six times today for one yard. Last week we also ran it six times but for four yards. Isn't somebody giving our coaches a statistical analysis of their plays?
S
snoscythe
mjk5 wrote:
It seems Doman has about 10 plays he runs repeatedly and that's it.


I think there are three factors contributing to this: (1) Nelson likes to call his own number a lot and likes to audible to himself, (2) Nelson is incapable of running more than 10 plays, and (3) Doman doesn't know what he's doing.
M
Mars


Balanced offenses don't throw 5-yard attempts every throw. They also throw 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 yard attempts. Balanced offenses don't average 3, 4, or 5 yards per throw. BYU throws the ball still, but they quit trying to really PASS the ball years ago.
M
mizzoucoug
Mars wrote:


Balanced offenses don't throw 5-yard attempts every throw. They also throw 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 yard attempts. Balanced offenses don't average 3, 4, or 5 yards per throw. BYU throws the ball still, but they quit trying to really PASS the ball years ago.


+20, 25, 30
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Gunk wrote:
The run didn't start working for OSU until the fourth quarter. It was a good offense, definitely, but I don't see how you don't call that a downfield passing offense. They had 19 yards rushing in the first half, definitely not a balanced offense.

I'll have to look it up, but I think OSU put up 93 rushing yards in the 3rd quarter.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That would mean that they only ran for six yards in the fourth.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.