Archived Topic

Disgruntled Players. . .

by Cosmonator · 10/12/2012

Advertisement
C
Cosmonator
So I have been following CC for quite a while now but for one reason or another have not been an active poster to the site. This is not because I am not a crazed fan, I am! I am going to change my habits now though and start to contribute more to the forum posts.



Enough with the introductions; I live in an apartment complex in Provo where several of the football players live so it has been very fun the last couple of years to rub shoulders with them. I was talking to one of the players last night about the team and now feel more concerned than before regarding the coaching staff. He was listing off a lot of the players that are unsatisfied with the way the coaches are handling the team lately. He said there are a lot of empty promises to the players and poor coaching decisions (I know the poor coaching decisions is not news to any of us necessarily). I just really hope that the cohesiveness of the team and coaches can improve soon. Our team truly is full of talent, on the defense obviously but offense as well. Hopefully the kinks can get worked out soon and the coaches can do the things necessary to avoid unnecessary losses to the likes of Utah & BSU. Anyway, I'm just curious to hear some of your thoughts on the team and the cohesiveness or lack thereof between coaches and players.



I love the program and have faith that the future is bright for us. I can't wait until 1:30 tomorrow where I will get to scream my guts out again from the East bleachers in support of our team.



Go COUGS!!!
F
fifthqb
I work with a couple of former (very recent) players and attend classes with several current players. Most are pretty good about not saying anything about the team but I have noticed a change in some of their answers. There's frustration there for sure.



In my experience, players lose confidence in coaches pretty quickly when they know the team can better than it is, but feel as if coaches are holding them back. They all know they should be undefeated right now.
J
jonnylingo
doman is in real trouble. when you lose the team, you lose your job.
E
EM_Puma
This sounds like a tread I read somewhere else this week. I tried to find it at TBS or CougarBoard, but a general perusal of sites didn't find it. I remember it saying basically what you have said here, but it was referencing someone talking to an athlete or his parent that was respondeing back about their visit to BYU and I believe what Cody Hoffman, their host had said.



I was uncomfortable with what was being said because it was not "on-record" and I've just seen too much posted from individuals who paraphrased too liberally and understand that there are two sides to every issue.



So I don't know what to make of your comments because I have no idea who you are or how reliable the info is. If it's true, it's concerning, but there are always going to be people who are contrary to coaches.
J
jonnylingo
It shouldn't come as a surprise after watching doman fumble around again this year. i hope holmoe is currently interviewing or at least searching for a new oc.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
My infomation is that all of the players are completely gruntled, and any reports to the contrary are wrong....
S
SpiffCoug
This is what happens when you tell players one thing and then do another.



Of course a struggling offense and losing will do that to a team. Winning and playing well cures many ills.
S
Schmoe
ABYUFAN wrote:
My infomation is that all of the players are completely gruntled, and any reports to the contrary are wrong....


That's strange, because my info says that all of the players are not disgruntled, but datgruntled...
R
reppinBYUalldayy
I know 10 or so players on the team and this is old news. Everyone is frustrated out there, but I won't say any names. Continue to move forward.
G
Gunk
If this is true, not surprised.



Doman is as fickle as a teenage girl.



Players like to play and teams like to win. We're barely winning. If we were winning convincingly and Doman's "offense" was yiedling results then disgruntled players really couldn't complain. But, since we're so inept on offense, it's inevitable players will complain.



What I worry about is a divide occuring between the defense and offense.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
And why wouldn't Cody be disgruntled. If he is to go pro next year, assuming that would have been his preference, he is not making a a good case for being an asset in the NFL.



Hs stats: 6 games; 31 catches; 432 yards; 2 Tds; 72 YPG average.



At this rate he would total 860 yards, 4 TDs, etc hardly catches the eye. And it's not like he's getting doubled every game.



Bronco should have just pulled Riley over to the Defense and he could have chummed with him every practice, and played out this Sycophantic relationship on the D.
M
mtnradio
Gunk wrote:

What I worry about is a divide occuring between the defense and offense.


I would say that is a valid worry. BUT ... I understand that Bronco has made some assignments that are designed to have the Defense help the Offense (in particular the O-line).



While that may seem a little odd, I love that it demonstrates that Bronco DOES see this potential problem and is trying to address it. I don't know all that is being done, but I appreciate that Bronco see the problem.



Unfortunately, in my mind it seems that part of the problem is the O just isn't having fun. I played O-line ... and it just isn't fun to work your butt off and consistently come up with nada. It is frustrating to be a player on the field and feel that there are plays that can/should be run that will work ... but they aren't called. And then the plays that are called make you look bad. I think that is kinda what our O-line is feeling. They are banged up, injured, working hard and always receiving criticism.



Like Spiff said ... (paraphrase) ... winning cures a lot of ills!!!
S
snoscythe
I don't know why any defensive players would be less than gruntled after this 4-2 start....right?
G
golong
Well these next three games will be the season. If BYU goes 0-3, then all of you will be right, and there might be changes, but not necessarily. If somehow BYU goes 3-0 and with winning scores like 7-3, 9-3, or 3-0--then what? BYU wins, but the offense is still ugly.



I have this vision (kind of), Nelson's getting hurt was fortuitous, it brought Hill to the field. Alisa getting hurt brought Williams to the field. Dulan getting hurt brought Ziggy to the spotlight. I'm troubled that none of these players would have played (or started) without injuries, and that's kind of troubling to me.



So had another vision this week, if Nelson gets hurt again, it will bring Lark to the field, no more running QB offense, but BYU will be forced to be the BYU of old, the QB drops back and throws, and throws again. Williams does the running, not the QB...and BYU scores 40 points a game.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
golong wrote:

I have this vision (kind of), Nelson's getting hurt was fortuitous, it brought Hill to the field. Alisa getting hurt brought Williams to the field. Dulan getting hurt brought Ziggy to the spotlight. I'm troubled that none of these players would have played (or started) without injuries, and that's kind of troubling to me.


That's sports. Brady wouldn't have gotten his shot if Bledsoe hadn't been hurt, Arian Foster wouldn't have gotten his shot without another running back getting injured, etc. etc. etc. The established starter plays and when they get hurt a back up comes in.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.