Archived Topic

"Battle of the backup QBs"

by TheLocust · 10/9/2012

Advertisement
T
TheLocust
Thought you guys might enjoy an article published today from our neck-of-the-woods.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2012/10/oregon_state_football_battle_o.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Got any recent media links to share from up your way about the OS/BYU game?



Three days ago I was quite confident the Beavs would be able to "bring-it" to the Cougs, but after our starting QB went down I see the teams as pretty well evened-up. I expect, and hope for an exciting and competitive game, though like many predict, may be low scoring. However, none of us really know how it's gonna play out and I won't be surprised if one team or the other runs away with it! Stats mean very little in this one, and I think we will all be watching the game with a ? in our minds!



May the best team of the day win!



"GO BEAVS"!
F
frdbtr
Mike Riley on Riley Nelson



“We always assume if a guy plays that he’s going to be at his best,” Riley said. “(Nelson) was really good against us last year. He’s quite a competitor, quite a player. He can do it all: He runs, he throws, he’s flying around in there. If we weren’t playing him, he’s kind of fun to watch.”



Really?! I thought Nelson wasn't even a div 1 qb and had no business being on BYU's team let alone the starting QB.
L
Lawboy
Fun to watch, Until he gets hurt. Again.
K
KingCoug
If you want to read something really funny, look at the comments under the article. :lol:
S
scott715
http://www.cougarfan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is one place I pick up articles. You will find stuff there easily.
Advertisement
T
TheLocust
scott715 wrote:
http://www.cougarfan.com is one place I pick up articles. You will find stuff there easily.


Thank you for the link.



"GO BEAVS"!
C
Cougarbib
I will get reamed for this since so many fans hate most of the local sports writers. They each have their own perspective and some have an agenda.



Google



Provo Daily Herald

BYU Daily Universe - light weight

Deseret News

Salt Lake Tribune

KSL Sports



Some will chime in in a few minutes and say they are all light weight or SIMPLY TERRIBLE.



Watch for writers like



Greg Wrubel at KSL or Dick Harmon at The Deseret News - homers

Gordon Monson - interestingly - Ute Fans think he is a BYU Homer and BYU fans think the opposite - he probably just likes to wind everyone up

Most BYU fans do not like the local Provo Daily Herald guys - especially Franchuk



I recommend them all and it helps you find the reality in the middle of the extremes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TheLocust
Cougarbib wrote:
I will get reamed for this since so many fans hate most of the local sports writers. They each have their own perspective and some have an agenda.



Google



Provo Daily Herald

BYU Daily Universe - light weight

Deseret News

Salt Lake Tribune

KSL Sports



Some will chime in in a few minutes and say they are all light weight or SIMPLY TERRIBLE.



Watch for writers like



Greg Wrubel at KSL or Dick Harmon at The Deseret News - homers

Gordon Monson - interestingly - Ute Fans think he is a BYU Homer and BYU fans think the opposite - he probably just likes to wind everyone up

Most BYU fans do not like the local Provo Daily Herald guys - especially Franchuk



I recommend them all and it helps you find the reality in the middle of the extremes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Thank you very much. Looks like lot's of good reading to dig-up!



"GO BEAVS"!
K
KingCoug
Cougarbib wrote:

Gordon Monson - interestingly - Ute Fans think he is a BYU Homer and BYU fans think the opposite - he probably just likes to wind everyone up


I don't think he's a "homer" of either team. But he's not unbiased, like he claims to be. He's always been more critical of BYU than he is of Utah.
N
northerncougar
frdbtr wrote:
Mike Riley on Riley Nelson



“We always assume if a guy plays that he’s going to be at his best,” Riley said. “(Nelson) was really good against us last year. He’s quite a competitor, quite a player. He can do it all: He runs, he throws, he’s flying around in there. If we weren’t playing him, he’s kind of fun to watch.”



Really?! I thought Nelson wasn't even a div 1 qb and had no business being on BYU's team let alone the starting QB.


You can't possibly be serious with this comment. Mike Riley isn't dumb enough to give bulletin board material to the team he is facing this week. He might really think this, he might not, but he isn't going to say that Nelson is terrible, even if he really thinks that.



You're smarter than that. Come on man!
Advertisement
S
sage
northerncougar wrote:
Mike Riley on Riley Nelson



“We always assume if a guy plays that he’s going to be at his best,” Riley said. “(Nelson) was really good against us last year. He’s quite a competitor, quite a player. He can do it all: He runs, he throws, he’s flying around in there. If we weren’t playing him, he’s kind of fun to watch.”



Really?! I thought Nelson wasn't even a div 1 qb and had no business being on BYU's team let alone the starting QB.


You can't possibly be serious with this comment. Mike Riley isn't dumb enough to give bulletin board material to the team he is facing this week. He might really think this, he might not, but he isn't going to say that Nelson is terrible, even if he really thinks that.



You're smarter than that. Come on man!


TIC.

Maybe you aren't. JK

He is just quotin what so many have said. Depends on the day whether it is true.
N
northerncougar
sage wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Mike Riley on Riley Nelson



“We always assume if a guy plays that he’s going to be at his best,” Riley said. “(Nelson) was really good against us last year. He’s quite a competitor, quite a player. He can do it all: He runs, he throws, he’s flying around in there. If we weren’t playing him, he’s kind of fun to watch.”



Really?! I thought Nelson wasn't even a div 1 qb and had no business being on BYU's team let alone the starting QB.


You can't possibly be serious with this comment. Mike Riley isn't dumb enough to give bulletin board material to the team he is facing this week. He might really think this, he might not, but he isn't going to say that Nelson is terrible, even if he really thinks that.



You're smarter than that. Come on man!


TIC.

Maybe you aren't. JK

He is just quotin what so many have said. Depends on the day whether it is true.


Yeah, I get it. But frdbtr is trying to use this to his advantage. I found it amusing.
F
frdbtr
northerncougar wrote:
Mike Riley on Riley Nelson



“We always assume if a guy plays that he’s going to be at his best,” Riley said. “(Nelson) was really good against us last year. He’s quite a competitor, quite a player. He can do it all: He runs, he throws, he’s flying around in there. If we weren’t playing him, he’s kind of fun to watch.”



Really?! I thought Nelson wasn't even a div 1 qb and had no business being on BYU's team let alone the starting QB.


You can't possibly be serious with this comment. Mike Riley isn't dumb enough to give bulletin board material to the team he is facing this week. He might really think this, he might not, but he isn't going to say that Nelson is terrible, even if he really thinks that.



You're smarter than that. Come on man!


If you will go back and re read my post you will notice that the Mike Riley Quote is in quotation marks and my post quote comments are not.
J
jonnylingo
TheLocust wrote:
Thought you guys might enjoy an article published today from our neck-of-the-woods.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2012/10/oregon_state_football_battle_o.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Got any recent media links to share from up your way about the OS/BYU game?



Three days ago I was quite confident the Beavs would be able to "bring-it" to the Cougs, but after our starting QB went down I see the teams as pretty well evened-up. I expect, and hope for an exciting and competitive game, though like many predict, may be low scoring. However, none of us really know how it's gonna play out and I won't be surprised if one team or the other runs away with it! Stats mean very little in this one, and I think we will all be watching the game with a ? in our minds!



May the best team of the day win!



"GO BEAVS"!


I would say that even with mannion osu is not even with byu. hence vegas' line given byu the nod even before news of his injury came out. You were not going to come into les and beat the cougars with or without mannion. it has been 13 quarters since a team scored a touchdown on byu's defense.



Your only shot is if our coaches are dubm enough to play riley nelson injured the whole game again. that is how utah and bsu won. take those boneheaded decisions away and we are 6-0 right now favored to win by much more than 6.
J
jonnylingo
Mark it down. OSU will not win their division and they will not end the year ranked.
Advertisement
W
Wickchad
jonnylingo wrote:
Thought you guys might enjoy an article published today from our neck-of-the-woods.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2012/10/oregon_state_football_battle_o.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Got any recent media links to share from up your way about the OS/BYU game?



Three days ago I was quite confident the Beavs would be able to "bring-it" to the Cougs, but after our starting QB went down I see the teams as pretty well evened-up. I expect, and hope for an exciting and competitive game, though like many predict, may be low scoring. However, none of us really know how it's gonna play out and I won't be surprised if one team or the other runs away with it! Stats mean very little in this one, and I think we will all be watching the game with a ? in our minds!



May the best team of the day win!



"GO BEAVS"!


I would say that even with mannion osu is not even with byu. hence vegas' line given byu the nod even before news of his injury came out. You were not going to come into les and beat the cougars with or without mannion. it has been 13 quarters since a team scored a touchdown on byu's defense.



Your only shot is if our coaches are dubm enough to play riley nelson injured the whole game again. that is how utah and bsu won. take those boneheaded decisions away and we are 6-0 right now favored to win by much more than 6.


I remember OU fans sounding this confident and then BYU fans sounding this confident against FSU two games later a couple years back. We all remember what happened there.
T
TheLocust
jonnylingo wrote:
Mark it down. OSU will not win their division and they will not end the year ranked.


I'm guessing you may be correct since OSU already has 2-losses on the season. Now..., OS is a different story (smart arse grin)!



"GO BEAVS"!
V
vancouvercougar
TheLocust wrote:
Mark it down. OSU will not win their division and they will not end the year ranked.


I'm guessing you may be correct since OSU already has 2-losses on the season. Now..., OS is a different story (smart arse grin)!



"GO BEAVS"!


To the rest of my cougar friends (who don't live in Oregon) Oregon State has re-branded as OS. OSU is now thought of as Oklahoma State.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.