Archived Topic

PK Interviews Lark. Just--WOW

by Lawboy · 10/9/2012

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
BYU has fusterclucked their QB situation is the worst way. 2010. 2011. And the hits just continue in 2012.



Hard to not think that Doman has no idea what the hell he is doing or how he shoud handle his QBs after this article. Seriously, his commitment to the running QB has hurt us badly, and has shown that he has sucked at handling his personnel as well.



Too rigid in his scheme--which sucks--perhaps? TIme to stop the Sklyine High offense tinkering and play some BYU Football, and if Doman does not get on board, time for him to jump off the train. Time to regain BYU's football identity on offense.



Enjoy:



http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22480527&nid=272&title=byu-larks-loyalty-tested-but-undeterred" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
sandiegoblue
I don't know how well Lark would perform in a complete game, but I sincerely hope he gets that opportunity and comes out looking like a star. I don't want Riley to get hurt again, though. I bet Riley will miss some of the OSU game. I can't imagine even if he is supposedly 100% that he won't be a little more vulnerable to back pain and nagging issues.



I just have this vision of Lark throwing some deep bombs over the Notre Dame D next week because they won't be ready for a QB that can do this with relative ease. Maybe I am just daydreaming...again...
G
Gunk
Doman has no idea what he's doing and is in way over his head. He needs to be shown the door. His presence is toxic.



Our offense has done nothing in the last two years; actions speak louder than words. Our complete lack of an offense and passing game is not only sidelining our QBs but its ruining our recruiting. QBs like to the throw the ball. That's why they become QBs. If a player wants to run, they become RBs. Any recruit with a legit arm is going to pass on BYU as Doman clearly has no idea what to do with a good arm.



If Doman wants to save his career, he'd be wise to either go to Bronco and ask for his old job back or quickly find a new one, maybe at UVU or Weber. At this rate, he'll be chased out of Provo with a big black mark on his resume.
G
Guest
I would like to believe that Lark has never gotten a chance because the coaches have seen his abilities in practice and found them lacking. I would like to trust the coaches on this, but it sure is getting harder to trust them on anything with the comedy of errors we've seen over the last few years.
F
frdbtr
Another "Gem" from Patrick Kinihan :roll:
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
BYU has fusterclucked their QB situation is the worst way. 2010. 2011. And the hits just continue in 2012.



Hard to not think that Doman has no idea what the hell he is doing or how he shoud handle his QBs after this article. Seriously, his commitment to the running QB has hurt us badly, and has shown that he has sucked at handling his personnel as well.



Too rigid in his scheme--which sucks--perhaps? TIme to stop the Sklyine High offense tinkering and play some BYU Football, and if Doman does not get on board, time for him to jump off the train. Time to regain BYU's football identity on offense.



Enjoy:



http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22480527&nid=272&title=byu-larks-loyalty-tested-but-undeterred" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Welcome Lawboy. I am glad you are now seeing the light. Doman is in over his head and wants to take byu away from its tradition. Due mostly to his incompetence and limited experience and abilities as a offensive coordinator.
J
jonnylingo
This is why i am so mad right now. We should be ranked in the top 10 right now. This should be an amazing year. Instead we continue to falter because of incompetent coaching decisions.



I have to say I am impressed the players we have right now. They all have heart and are extremely committed and a tough bunch. Too bad their coaches are failing them.



I am liking Bronco more and more right now. I think he is a great recruiter and d coordinator. he has his issues but if he could find an experienced and competent offensive coordinator that could just completely be in charge of the offense i think it would set up well in the future. i do not wan to give doman any more time to ram byu football into the ground.



Him putting riley and taysom at risk the way he has is simply unacceptable and to me the biggest reason he should be fired. I wouldn't want my kid playing for him. qb mismanagement has been off the charts ridiculous.
J
jonnylingo
sandiegoblue wrote:
I don't know how well Lark would perform in a complete game, but I sincerely hope he gets that opportunity and comes out looking like a star. I don't want Riley to get hurt again, though. I bet Riley will miss some of the OSU game. I can't imagine even if he is supposedly 100% that he won't be a little more vulnerable to back pain and nagging issues.



I just have this vision of Lark throwing some deep bombs over the Notre Dame D next week because they won't be ready for a QB that can do this with relative ease. Maybe I am just daydreaming...again...


lark is not going to look very good. He doesn't have the experience or the reps. He also has a oc that does not know how to call plays for him. It probably wont be pretty to be honest. i would like to see him get a shot as well.
N
northerncougar
hawkwing wrote:
I would like to believe that Lark has never gotten a chance because the coaches have seen his abilities in practice and found them lacking. I would like to trust the coaches on this, but it sure is getting harder to trust them on anything with the comedy of errors we've seen over the last few years.


I saw this portrait of our coaching staff the other day: http://www.cougarcorner.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
E
EM_Puma
jonnylingo wrote:

Welcome Lawboy. I am glad you are now seeing the light. Doman is in over his head and wants to take byu away from its tradition. Due mostly to his incompetence and limited experience and abilities as a offensive coordinator.


If Doman doesn't know and understand the duty and function of being a OC by now, he never will. I honestly can't put my finger on what is going down and why we seem to be struggling so much on the issue of QB now for years.



I can't truly answer whether I've been proud to be a BYU fan or embarassed to be one. Bronco is one excellent man, but I don't know if the world is ready for his way of coaching. If we're still playing in the millenium, then he'd be first on my list, because the playing ground might be more level, but here and now he's.......I don't know how to describe him.



I don't know what to think about Lark. Most people in his shoes would have transferred by now. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he hasn't, because I find it almost impossible to believe that Riley will make it to the end of the season. If he can't run, then he's not that great of a pocket QB, and I don't know that he'll be successful leading the offense. No question he has grit--to his detriment it appears.



Lark will get his shot yet this season without much doubt. Then we'll know.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
I would like to believe that Lark has never gotten a chance because the coaches have seen his abilities in practice and found them lacking. I would like to trust the coaches on this, but it sure is getting harder to trust them on anything with the comedy of errors we've seen over the last few years.

Yep.
K
KingCoug
hawkwing wrote:
I would like to believe that Lark has never gotten a chance because the coaches have seen his abilities in practice and found them lacking. I would like to trust the coaches on this, but it sure is getting harder to trust them on anything with the comedy of errors we've seen over the last few years.


Certain people seem to be jumping to the conclusion - maybe to reinforce their own preconceived notions - that Lark hasn't been given a chance because of bias towards running QB's. Is it so hard to believe he's just been beaten out consistently in practice by the others? I'm all for giving Lark a chance at some point this year. But people shouldn't be reading more into this article then is there and thinking it validates their gripes.
P
pjmuli
SpiffCoug wrote:
I would like to believe that Lark has never gotten a chance because the coaches have seen his abilities in practice and found them lacking. I would like to trust the coaches on this, but it sure is getting harder to trust them on anything with the comedy of errors we've seen over the last few years.

Yep.


Agreed. Either Lark and Munns are so bad that they shouldn't have scholarships - or the coaching staff's absolute commitment to a Riley Nelson oriented offense has really clouded their judgment.



Almost everything points to the latter...and I am really tired of quarterback draws with short-side option. If playing Lark means we eliminate those plays, then get him in!
J
jacksonman
Interesting stuff here. A few days ago I started a thread entitled "Enough of the Bronco/Doman/Riley Apologists!!", which summed up what most posters are stating on this thread, and I got as raped as one can get on-line. I was accused of making it all up, not actually attending the game, not being married, not being a BYU fan, being a Ute fan, being a bad BYU fan for leaving early with my cold wife, etc.



Maybe all those on my side were too busy watching conference to post on the forum?



Bottom line, Doman and Weber need to go. An experienced OC needs to be hired. Bronco needs to make the right hires. If Bronco can't get the right personal in and we continue to beat cupcakes, struggle with decent teams and lose every big game, Bronco also needs to go.



Riley should be second on the depth chart now with Lark as the starter and Riley coming in for a few wildcat and double QB formations.



The two years we had senior Beck and senior Hall, we should have busted the BCS but Bronco found a way to lose two of the first three games that we should have won but for poor coaching and preparation.



We have been dominated by Utah and allowed USU to arguably pull to the same level as us. Not good! If we can't win in-state recruiting, things will only get worse.



Bronco has seemed to reach a ceiling that is much lower than most of us would like. If you are a BYU can do no wrong, love BYU because I love the church, effort and attitude is all that matters, I understand why you love Bronco. FOr those of us who love football and also love BYU, but also expect more of the football teams performance, Bronco is hard to love. Great d-coord, horrible TEAM motivator, horrible at selecting and managing coaches, horrible at managing players, horrible time management, horrible adjuster, horrible ...He just isn't a very good D-1 head coach. But he is still young and I would be willing to give him the chance to try to hire some new coaches to fill in his shortcomings and see what happens. Doman and Weber aren't helping with Bronco's shortcomings.



I actually hope that if Riley starts, he gets knocked out before the end of the first quarter. He is too much like Bronco in that his ceiling is low. Even if he plays to his potential, and is not hurt (which seems like never), it would still not be good enough to beat good teams. His decision making sucks, he is too slow, he thinks he can run through LB, he fumbles like crazy, and doesn't have the arm strength to throw hard outs.



Two weeks ago I actively advocated for Lark to start with Hill as back-up and wildcat in order to keep Hill healthy and to avoid throwing him to the wolves too early. I was right. Again, many of us on here who advocated this were right. We just lost our QB of the future to an unnecessary knee injury and he will likely miss Spring ball. Just when we thought we would finally avoid a QB controversy for the first time in 4 years, I am predicting that unless Doman goes, and Hill recovers faster than expected, there will still be a controversy, and sadly, Riley is still kind of involved.



I honestly wish Riley never came, that Heaps was brought on slowly with Lark starting, that Bronco hired a great experienced OC and that we played so much closer to our players potential. We should have 2 BCS appearances with a 3rd this year. We will be 0-3 when our potential was BCS caliber! That is unacceptable!
S
SpiffCoug
This is why you got "raped" jacksonman, because you are cheering FOR a BYU player to get HURT.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
jacksonman wrote:
Interesting stuff here. A few days ago I started a thread entitled "Enough of the Bronco/Doman/Riley Apologists!!", which summed up what most posters are stating on this thread, and I got as raped as one can get on-line. I was accused of making it all up, not actually attending the game, not being married, not being a BYU fan, being a Ute fan, being a bad BYU fan for leaving early with my cold wife, etc.



Maybe all those on my side were too busy watching conference to post on the forum?



Bottom line, Doman and Weber need to go. An experienced OC needs to be hired. Bronco needs to make the right hires. If Bronco can't get the right personal in and we continue to beat cupcakes, struggle with decent teams and lose every big game, Bronco also needs to go.



Riley should be second on the depth chart now with Lark as the starter and Riley coming in for a few wildcat and double QB formations.



The two years we had senior Beck and senior Hall, we should have busted the BCS but Bronco found a way to lose two of the first three games that we should have won but for poor coaching and preparation.



We have been dominated by Utah and allowed USU to arguably pull to the same level as us. Not good! If we can't win in-state recruiting, things will only get worse.



Bronco has seemed to reach a ceiling that is much lower than most of us would like. If you are a BYU can do no wrong, love BYU because I love the church, effort and attitude is all that matters, I understand why you love Bronco. FOr those of us who love football and also love BYU, but also expect more of the football teams performance, Bronco is hard to love. Great d-coord, horrible TEAM motivator, horrible at selecting and managing coaches, horrible at managing players, horrible time management, horrible adjuster, horrible ...He just isn't a very good D-1 head coach. But he is still young and I would be willing to give him the chance to try to hire some new coaches to fill in his shortcomings and see what happens. Doman and Weber aren't helping with Bronco's shortcomings.



I actually hope that if Riley starts, he gets knocked out before the end of the first quarter. He is too much like Bronco in that his ceiling is low. Even if he plays to his potential, and is not hurt (which seems like never), it would still not be good enough to beat good teams. His decision making sucks, he is too slow, he thinks he can run through LB, he fumbles like crazy, and doesn't have the arm strength to throw hard outs.



Two weeks ago I actively advocated for Lark to start with Hill as back-up and wildcat in order to keep Hill healthy and to avoid throwing him to the wolves too early. I was right. Again, many of us on here who advocated this were right. We just lost our QB of the future to an unnecessary knee injury and he will likely miss Spring ball. Just when we thought we would finally avoid a QB controversy for the first time in 4 years, I am predicting that unless Doman goes, and Hill recovers faster than expected, there will still be a controversy, and sadly, Riley is still kind of involved.



I honestly wish Riley never came, that Heaps was brought on slowly with Lark starting, that Bronco hired a great experienced OC and that we played so much closer to our players potential. We should have 2 BCS appearances with a 3rd this year. We will be 0-3 when our potential was BCS caliber! That is unacceptable!


Yeah, well you can't dump Bronco because he is a legit DC. However, he is a very poor head coach and seems to lead from behind (ala 0bama) when it comes to things he's not good at. However, I'm not sure how hard it would be for him to run the offense that we have seen every week. Sweep left, QB draw, dump pass, QB draw, HB dive, 5 yard out, etc.
G
Guest
pjmuli wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I would like to believe that Lark has never gotten a chance because the coaches have seen his abilities in practice and found them lacking. I would like to trust the coaches on this, but it sure is getting harder to trust them on anything with the comedy of errors we've seen over the last few years.

Yep.


Agreed. Either Lark and Munns are so bad that they shouldn't have scholarships - or the coaching staff's absolute commitment to a Riley Nelson oriented offense has really clouded their judgment.



Almost everything points to the latter...and I am really tired of quarterback draws with short-side option. If playing Lark means we eliminate those plays, then get him in!


From every thing I've seen, in watching him over several years of practices (when I was allowed to watch) Munns really is that bad. I've never seen him make a pass that made me think, 'wow, that was a well thrown ball.'
P
pjspack
pjmuli wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I would like to believe that Lark has never gotten a chance because the coaches have seen his abilities in practice and found them lacking. I would like to trust the coaches on this, but it sure is getting harder to trust them on anything with the comedy of errors we've seen over the last few years.

Yep.


Agreed. Either Lark and Munns are so bad that they shouldn't have scholarships - or the coaching staff's absolute commitment to a Riley Nelson oriented offense has really clouded their judgment.



Almost everything points to the latter...and I am really tired of quarterback draws with short-side option. If playing Lark means we eliminate those plays, then get him in!


No what happened was the two weeks Riley didn't practice much Lark and Hill were both given a lot of reps. According to Ben Criddle, Taysom Hill outplayed Lark during practice. It had nothing to do with Lark being bad(he's not bad). The coaches came to the conclusion that since Hill is the future and he was outplaying Lark anyway. Hill should be the one getting the playing time.
G
Guest
In the Spring and Fall practice sessions open to the public, it was fairly clear that there wasn't much difference between Lark and Hill, and over the last few months, it looks like Hill had caught up and surpassed Lark.
E
EM_Puma
pjspack wrote:
No what happened was the two weeks Riley didn't practice much Lark and Hill were both given a lot of reps. According to Ben Criddle, Taysom Hill outplayed Lark during practice. It had nothing to do with Lark being bad(he's not bad). The coaches came to the conclusion that since Hill is the future and he was outplaying Lark anyway. Hill should be the one getting the playing time.


Honestly, I don't have any problem with that. I do believe that there needs to be more open communication though. I think Lark should have been explained where he was at and not be at a point where he believed he was going to play vs. Utah, and then not. Of course, we only have what PK recorded in his interview to rely on.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.