Archived Topic

Bronco Interview 10-8

by BroncoBot · 10/9/2012

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Great interview with Bronco. Discusses a lot of the things that we have been speculating about here.



FANTASTIC moment at 1:10 (as pointed out by B. Gurney). Bronco is asked if Riley is ready, Bronco affirms, and someone girl let's out a giant "YES!" Bronco looks like he wants to punch someone in the face.



Sounds like BlueisBetter was right, the call was sent in. Coaches realized they could run the clock out and Taysom didn't look over again when they were trying to switch the call. Bronco lays all the blame on the coaches and says they need to make communication more clear for the players.



Good stuff.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6wzas2nmck&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1
D
DarthMagnus
The Daily Universe needs to send journalists who are a bit more aware of the situation me thinks. You really can see Bronco's face tighten up as he rolls his eye at their questions and reaction to his answers. So awkward.
C
Cougs_Rule
I respect that Bronco is tang to be positive and move forward.



But someone's ease explain why the freak Riley is getting "all the snaps"????



What exactly has this coaching staff "learned from Riley's situation"?????



Someone???? Anyone???
S
SpiffCoug
Because Riley is the starter and hasn't had any snaps in nearly three or four weeks. He needs to get his timing down, which he needs so desperately. I think it's one reason he struggled so much against Utah and Boise. He hadn't practiced much - if at all - in the weeks leading up to those games so his timing was way off. Not to mention his injury.



Riley is the starter, he should get the majority of the reps. I hope and bet most coaches give their starters the majority or even "all the snaps" on most teams.



Now, if you want to argue Riley shouldn't be the starter, that's a different argument.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
Because Riley is the starter and hasn't had any snaps in nearly three or four weeks. He needs to get his timing down, which he needs so desperately. I think it's one reason he struggled so much against Utah and Boise. He hadn't practiced much - if at all - in the weeks leading up to those games so his timing was way off. Not to mention his injury.



Riley is the starter, he should get the majority of the reps. I hope and bet most coaches give their starters the majority or even "all the snaps" on most teams.



Now, if you want to argue Riley shouldn't be the starter, that's a different argument.


Except we Heard out of practices all last week that Riley had half the snaps last week enroute to his triumphal return vs USU. if he has to get all the snaps, all week, to get his "timing" back [into his back] what does that portend?

To point, BYU has done a horrible job over the last maybe 7 years prepping The next guy. Can BYU actually realize that hedging against an injury is a good idea when you have a running-man qb scheme, not to mention Mr-"I'm not changing" even if I have a broke back-Nelson?????

I'm glad Riley is "100 % when [he] walks"; no, I really am; but what is he when plays? And are we basing playing status on Rileys report or actual proactice performance?



I'm glad he hasn't lost his starting job (thanks to Brandon D's botched call and some dam bad luck and Broncos insistence on Starting QB status); but for the love of Cosmo, what have the coaches "learned"?????? We can't give Lark half the snaps to get him ready? Havent they learned To not put all BYUs apples in the never reliable Riley- i have only played 4 straight games and nothing longer-Nelson basket? Why kill one bird with one stone when you can kill two? Is Lark that hopeless, hapless, and unskilled? Or is he all that and more and doesn't need the snaps? Or is the direction of the spin just so dramactically different between a righty and southpaw (and I might add velocity if I didn't think I would draw ire from Riley-ites) that the WR can't catch the ball consistently. :roll:



Ok, enough. I'm glad Riley is available and getting ready. I just wish Lark would get some snaps to prep. But, I guess, "In Riley, we trust." and forget the all the rest.

Boy, sand sure tastes good. It's the breathing that's a problem. :sick: :roll:





Ps. Hey Hawk. Can we please add an emoticon that resembles a blue cougar ostrich with its head in the sand?
S
SpiffCoug
I think in the pre-game coaches show, Bronco said they only gave Riley about half the snaps on Tuesday to evaluate where he was. When they realized he wasn't ready, they returned to their previous model of giving all the snaps to the start that week.



Taysom got all the reps on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
G
Guest
Spiff is correct, Nelson got just over 50% of the snaps on Tuesday, it was determined that he wasn't going to get the starting nod, and 100% of the snaps from then on went to Hill.
C
Cougarbib
BroncoBot wrote:
Great interview with Bronco. Discusses a lot of the things that we have been speculating about here.



FANTASTIC moment at 1:10 (as pointed out by B. Gurney). Bronco is asked if Riley is ready, Bronco affirms, and someone girl let's out a giant "YES!" Bronco looks like he wants to punch someone in the face.



Sounds like BlueisBetter was right, the call was sent in. Coaches realized they could run the clock out and Taysom didn't look over again when they were trying to switch the call. Bronco lays all the blame on the coaches and says they need to make communication more clear for the players.



Good stuff.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6wzas2nmck&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1


Bronco said twice that a clear The CLOCK IS RUNNING signal was given and that HILL INTERPRETED it as Run the next play. Everyone will hear what they want to hear.



Coaches took responsibility. Doman was slow getting Victory called. Should have instantly known given down and clock and USU time-outs. INEXPERIENCE. Just as could have been predicted when he was promoted.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
dmcougar wrote:
Except we Heard out of practices all last week that Riley had half the snaps last week enroute to his triumphal return vs USU. if he has to get all the snaps,


RIley got not reps after Tuesday last week. They gave him a hard look Tuesday, then made the call.



As to this week, RIley is getting starters reps. Lark the back up reps. Hopefully RIley is healthy enough to perform game day. But most of all, hopefully the scheme does not suck.
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
Lawboy wrote:
Except we Heard out of practices all last week that Riley had half the snaps last week enroute to his triumphal return vs USU. if he has to get all the snaps,


RIley got not reps after Tuesday last week. They gave him a hard look Tuesday, then made the call.



As to this week, RIley is getting starters reps. Lark the back up reps. Hopefully RIley is healthy enough to perform game day. But most of all, hopefully the scheme does not suck.




Lawboy, I have a feeling the scheme will still suck... I think our scheme does suck and will suck until Brandon has an epiphany that High School style play calling doesn't work on the D-1 or any college level for that matter. A running QB is a threat and should be a tool that is used on occasion, just enough to keep the defense on their heels, but not used to the extent that it allows the defense to pin their ears back and target the QB on every running play.



I was a huge Doman supporter in the beginning and I was until the last few games when I realized that he has no concept of running plays to set up other plays. He uses the QB draw as a security blanket and we can see that Hill and Nelson run too much on their own without him adding to it.



Having played college football, whenever we were in need of a first down to run the game out the coach would tell the guy bringing the play in, to tell us the play and then say after we get the first down, Victory formation. It was always called a play ahead contingent upon us acheiving the first down. Again, I don't see any indication on Doman's part of thinking two or three plays ahead.



I"m not calling for Doman's head, but I think Steve Clark at SUU would be an interesting fit, a BYU guy, run's an offense that is more of a BYU style offensee (Which I don't care if it's BYU style, as long as it's effective without running the QB 20 times a game) An offense that throws the ball and throws downfield more than 2 times a game. Bronco is loyal and he wont get rid of Brandon, and I think Brandon deserves one more year as much as it pain's me to say that. There have been injuries and attitude that have affected his play calling. I say after year 3 he's done if we don't see a drastic improvement.
L
Lawboy
I think DOman deserves one more year as well. Not sure I can say the same for Caoch Weber.



However, BYU needs to get a scheme, then stick to it. If the QB can not execute it, sit him. Then recruit players who can for the future. Bronco has done this with his D. But our O is just a mess right now. Far too much Navy, AFA, high school ball in there for my liking. We are a passing school, not a QB running school.
G
Gunk
Lawboy wrote:
I think DOman deserves one more year as well. Not sure I can say the same for Caoch Weber.



However, BYU needs to get a scheme, then stick to it. If the QB can not execute it, sit him. Then recruit players who can for the future. Bronco has done this with his D. But our O is just a mess right now. Far too much Navy, AFA, high school ball in there for my liking. We are a passing school, not a QB running school.


But Lawboy, all signs point towards Doman making BYU a QB running school. That's his scheme and he certainly appears committed to it. Just go ask Lark, Riley's back and Hill's knee.



He hasn't really recruited for it aside from getting a mobile QB. No OL for it and then what's he supposed to do with all the studs he has as receivers?



The problem is the scheme. The scheme is lousy. Name one legit college program or NFL team that has a QB that gets 19 carries in a game? It's a horrible approach to football. Not only is it ineffective, it's tremendously boring to watch. Can't imagine what it must be like to be Apo, Hoffman or Friel and actually play in it.



Either Doman changes his scheme or BYU changes OCs. My preference would be the later.
L
Lawboy
Nebraska and Ohio state. And Michigan. Oregon. It is the trend with the spread. And those QBs get hurt too. Robinson did. So did Martinez. But they stick with it.
F
frdbtr
Guys, the QB running scheme was put into place to maximize the talents of a very athletic guy in Hill. It made it so we could move the ball down the field and not put too much pressure on the young guy and keep the turnovers down so out D could win the game for us. We were 2-0 with that scheme. Unfortunately, Hill took a unlucky shot to his knee on a play that didn't need to be run, that is football. I am not saying that Doman hasn't struggled this year, but it is time to put this behind us and see what can be done to improve the offense now that our starter has been declared healthy and ready to go. I didn't hear any of this complaining about Doman's scheme last year, what changed? Nothing other than our starter got hurt and we chose to play an athletic freshman rather than the drop back passer Sr.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.