Archived Topic

OSU's QB - Mannion, out indefinitely

by Cougarpoke · 10/8/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
Just reported that Sean Mannion is out due to a knee injury requiring surgery. Their backup, who is supposed to be good, is a senior, and will start. Interesting.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
The back up can't be great if he is a senior that got beat out last year by the true freshman Mannion. Isn't that the logic?



All I know is that this was a passing team witha good passing QB that struggles to run it. Wonder what the skill set of hte back-up is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarpoke
From what i have read, he has a strong arm, but is very untested. This clearly gives BYU an advantage in the fact our D is stout. I think the game was going to be a defensive game, despite this news. Now, this could be another USU type of game. Of course that depends on if a healthy Riley plays, how severe Hill's injury is, etc.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
AmmonCougar1
Cougarpoke wrote:
From what i have read, he has a strong arm, but is very untested. This clearly gives BYU an advantage in the fact our D is stout. I think the game was going to be a defensive game, despite this news. Now, this could be another USU type of game. Of course that depends on if a healthy Riley plays, how severe Hill's injury is, etc.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Hill's injury is season ending severe. He's done for 5-6 months at least. Should, however, recover to full strength and speed.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarpoke
Here's the link for what it is worth.



http://tracking.si.com/2012/10/08/oregon-state-sean-mannion-knee-surgery/



I have also heard that the injury to Hill may be a sprain, and that people have seen him walking around without a limp. I am hopeful but reserved.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Hate to see this. Would have preferred to beat them with him. they will not be ranked by season's end. this is a game we should win at home.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
At least it evens things up a bit.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TheLocust
Yep, I can't believe it, just kills me.



Here is the first article.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2012/10/oregon_state_quarterback_sean.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I was really enjoyig all the banter started in here the last couple days but now I gotta say all bets are off. If it's one thing OS isn't, it's deep with talent (bummed). There is two players that HAD to stay healthy for OS to have a majic season and one of those was Mannion. We have no QB talented enough to replace him.



Best of luck to you Coug. fans for the remainder of your season. TheLocust has been eradicated (heavy heart).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
kjjson
My knee would start hurting too if I knew Ziggy and KVN were coming for me.



Now in seriousness, that is too bad for Mannion and I hope that Vaz can come in, learn a lot on Saturday, and then become a great quarterback for the rest of the season on Sunday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Injuries suck.*



*unless they happen to Utes, then I have no sympathy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
MTM
Rick Aaron just tweeted



If Kyle Van Noy takes him out of the game, is it a Vazectomy?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
JasontheBeaver
Cody Vaz is a junior, and yes he got beat out by a younger Mannion in camp but it was close.

I'm excited for him to have this opportunity, but of course nervous for obvious reasons.

I think we haven't been running the ball enough anyway so maybe this will provide incentive to play more straight forward smash mouth football.

BYU's front D line will provide an awesome test.

Finally, this is the one game we can afford to lose and still make the Pac-12 championship game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Vaz last played since 2010. No stats in 2011. His 2010 stats were poor as well:



5-17 48 yards. Took 3 sacks for -16 yards. Long completion of 21 yards.



Bronco is going to toy with this kid. So again, watching our D will be the fun part of hte game.



We could win 3-0 and I would not be shocked.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mjk5
Well that sucks for everyone and especially the player. Sorry to hear that OSU fans.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarpoke
I would be shocked if we won 3-0. That would mean we hit a field goal. I am thinking more like 6-0. Maybe even 2-0.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Bad news. No chance they come in over confident. Our win will have an asterisk. OSU might rally around the back up. We dont fare well against back up qbs. I don't like this development at all.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Injuries suck.*



*unless they happen to Utes, then I have no sympathy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Does the asterisk indicate - especially QB injuries?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Bad news. No chance they come in over confident. Our win will have an asterisk. OSU might rally around the back up. We dont fare well against back up qbs. I don't like this development at all.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This post makes no sense whatsoever. You've over-analyzed so much that you've turned everything upside down. An opponent not having their starting QB is always a good thing. An what's this nonsense about an asterisk? That's something an OSU fan would say after they lose.
B
byucougar1
We had better hope that this game doesn't come down to special teams FG kicking because our PAT/FG unit is inconsistent at best. Sad thing is Bronoc was ready to use T. Hill for FGs as a stop gap measure. Hope Riley recovers to bring back some swag otherwise it's perineal backups as starters. Am comfortable with Lark as he at least is familiar with offense (in system for 5 years) but not game tested.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Lark has been a couple of games this year. Has some experience just not alot.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.