Archived Topic

So, questions Moving forward....

by Cougs_Rule · 10/7/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Let's assume a few things--



Riley starts vs OSU.



THill is out for the season.



Lark is now the #2.



Does Doman limit Rileys running-man routine?

Does Riley finally accept that he can't run with impunity?

Will Riley, in fact and in truth, be 90% or better?

Can Riley stay healthy for the whole game?

Can Riley play drug free (minor pain killers are fine, but not mental impairing)?

Can Riley's passing game mixed with a running game, WITH LIMITED TO ZERO qb draws, get the job done?

Can or will Doman be running two schemes this week in practice with Riley and Lark?

Will a third QB get some reps (Munns, Olsen, Kuresa)?

At what point will the coaches pull Riley if he plays like he did. Vs Utah or BSU?

Will Bronco and Doman "learn" as Bronco has indicated?

Will BYU return to a pass first offense?



Ok maybe there are more questions or more relevant questions, but these are Some critical questions?
S
snoscythe
I think Bronco is going to have a "come to Jeebus" moment in the near future where he realizes that an option-spread HUNH offense run by Brandon Doman is not the efficient, 20 points a game regardless of opponent, ball-security offense he was looking for.



Bronco's overall team philosophy is simple--his defense will keep any offense under 20 points, so he just wants an offense that will score more than that on any defense without gifting the other team points via turnovers. This offense does not fit that model. Fortunately, we have a defense this year that is keeping every offense under 10 points. Unfortunately, the offense is struggling to get to 10.
S
SpiffCoug
Power I, play-action pass.
Q
Qman
SpiffCoug wrote:
Power I, play-action pass.


Which is an offense Lark can run effectively but Nelson can't.
S
SpiffCoug
Qman wrote:
Power I, play-action pass.


Which is an offense Lark can run effectively but Nelson can't.

I think Nelson most certainly run it effectively. The best throw last year by any QB was on a double tight-end, I formation play-action pass to a streaking McKay Jacobson for a 47-yard TD against San Jose St.



I think with the TEs we have in the program, the WRs we have on the outside, I think we could a very good and efficient team running this offense - regardless who is the QB.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
Power I, play-action pass.


With HB freaking screens when they stack the box!!!!
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Power I, play-action pass.


I would agree but where will the blocking and power running come from. I still remember an interview a week ago where Williams was being asked if his ability to run came from his powerful legs and laughed and joked about his skinny legs - and said it came from determination to move forward.



No matter who you put in at RB, and FB, you will either lack power, experience, speed or two of the three.



Mistakes will be made.



Patience folks. There is no easy fix. Gaining experience takes time and Hine, Pritchard are not there yet. Williams is getting there, but still inexperienced.



And the blocking - vs holding - Heaven Help us on the OL.



And yet - we have been competitive - as a team.



Only ND has any potential to embarrass us unless the offense goes back to making too many mistakes. If Nelson cannot get us past OSU, ND, GT, and SJSU - we could regress and get embarrassed. With Nelson healthy, we will lose 1-3 of those - but be competitive in all.



I do not expect Nelson to stay healthy with this OL whether running or throwing. Any opponent with a good defense will smell blood and send wave after wave of troops and at best Nelson will be getting hit as he throws it at least half the time.



Nelson might escape the rush on occasion, but then get tackled hard. Lark has less ability to escape the rush.



OL and FB will struggle to block effectively vs good defenses.



On that note - put an *ND on your things to watch out for list.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MesaCougFan
Does Doman limit Rileys running-man routine?



Riley keeps getting injured while in the pocket. Maybe Doman should get him out of the pocket more often?



Does Riley finally accept that he can't run with impunity?



Riley is Riley. He doesn't shy away from contact, and that isn't something that he is going to be taught now.



Will Riley, in fact and in truth, be 90% or better?



The Riley that played at Utah was healthy enough to win that game, so Riley only needs to be that healthy again.



Can Riley stay healthy for the whole game?



Unfortunately, unless our o-line has improved, Riley will be getting punched in the mouth on every play, and that will potentially lead to injury.



Can Riley play drug free (minor pain killers are fine, but not mental impairing)?



Yes



Can Riley's passing game mixed with a running game, WITH LIMITED TO ZERO qb draws, get the job done?



Definitely



Can or will Doman be running two schemes this week in practice with Riley and Lark?



Yes



Will a third QB get some reps (Munns, Olsen, Kuresa)?



Yes



At what point will the coaches pull Riley if he plays like he did. Vs Utah or BSU?



As was mentioned earlier, if Riley plays the way he did at Utah, we'll be in great shape, and he does not deserve the bench. If he plays the way he did at Boise, then yes.



Will Bronco and Doman "learn" as Bronco has indicated?



I think they learn every week.



Will BYU return to a pass first offense?



BYU needs to return to a pass first offense. It is a shame that we have this incredible defense paired with this inept offense. I don't get it? Offensively we have more / better talent than we have ever had, and nothing clicks. I like the power-I / play action offense. I think that we have the tools to make that successful.
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
Power I, play-action pass.


Oh...wouldn't that be nice...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.