Archived Topic

The disease is spreading!

by IowaCougar · 10/5/2012

Advertisement
I
IowaCougar
I gnash my teeth a lot at the bad spelling in the forum, but understand that sometimes it's just typo-issues, and other times it's just thinking faster than one can type. But one of the most annoying spelling mistakes is when people spell the word "lose" as "loose". Now it's spreading to the professional media. Wo is me!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865563843/BYU-football-how-the-Cougars-can-fix-the-O-line.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:sulk:
G
Guest
I don't think you can consider it professional media any more when the "columnist's" name is 'Blaze.'



I really don't like this trend the Deseret News has bought into in having just any every day shlub writing articles and apparently posting them without any editorial review.
I
IowaCougar
OK - here's another one that is spreading like wildfire. I'm seeing it constantly by those who should know better:



Does anyone know the difference between "less" and "fewer" anymore? There seem to be fewer and fewer individuals who do, and their example is less inspiring than it used to be. (By the way, it is "used to", not "use to").



My wife told my I was grumpy teaching Seminary this morning. Maybe I'm less tolerant when I'm tired. ;)
G
Guest
IowaCougar wrote:
OK - here's another one that is spreading like wildfire. I'm seeing it constantly by those who should know better:



Does anyone know the difference between "less" and "fewer" anymore? There seem to be fewer and fewer individuals who do, and their example is less inspiring than it used to be. (By the way, it is "used to", not "use to").



My wife told my I was grumpy teaching Seminary this morning. Maybe I'm less tolerant when I'm tired. ;)


Anyone who listens to the radio in Utah should know the difference between less and fewer. There's a Challenger School add that talks about it on the radio all the time.
T
tww
How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
IowaCougar wrote:
I gnash my teeth a lot at the bad spelling in the forum, but understand that sometimes it's just typo-issues, and other times it's just thinking faster than one can type. But one of the most annoying spelling mistakes is when people spell the word "lose" as "loose". Now it's spreading to the professional media. Wo is me!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865563843/BYU-football-how-the-Cougars-can-fix-the-O-line.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:sulk:


All-right Iowa Cougar. Now yoo've dun it - yoo've pissed me off a bunch. Drawing atention us folkz that can't spell nuthin' for nuthin'.



Send me yer home address so I can come over and write durty wurds in yer lawn with salt. That'll teach ya.



P.S. It'll bee a long drive. Kan I sleep the nite on yer couch?

;) :lol:
M
Metal Bubba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7xtYIJgPjg
H
HoosierCougar
tww wrote:
How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.




I got 2 emails in one day from people in my company using "of" instead of "have".



I should of included this...

I could of pursued the option...



I posted it on Facebook and I had a few (less than 5) people tell me I was likely in the wrong!



Woe is me!
S
Schmoe
tww wrote:
How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.


Much like a steering wheel in the crotch, this one drives me nuts!
S
snoscythe
tww wrote:
How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.


I think you meant to use e.g. (as long as we are talking about grammar and usage peeves).



Also--if the "of" instead of "'ve" is a pet peeve, do not, under any circumstance whatsoever, read the book "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. He makes that mistake a few times every page and it will drive you batty if you're peevish about it. Otherwise a great book, but that (and the fact that everything in the plot seems to takes place via conversation) made me want to quit halfway through.
Advertisement
T
tww
snoscythe wrote:
How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.


I think you meant to use e.g. (as long as we are talking about grammar and usage peeves).



Also--if the "of" instead of "'ve" is a pet peeve, do not, under any circumstance whatsoever, read the book "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. He makes that mistake a few times every page and it will drive you batty if you're peevish about it. Otherwise a great book, but that (and the fact that everything in the plot seems to takes place via conversation) made me want to quit halfway through.


Thanks for the correction. That's what I get for not checking my Latin. You can edit my work anytime.



Another one that I see all too frequently is "ect." instead of "etc."
U
urroner
Schmoe wrote:
How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.


Much like a steering wheel in the crotch, this one drives me nuts!


I love the talk about steering wheels and then that Scottish slang there at the end Schmoe, the use of "me" in place of "my", but where does it drive your nuts? Do they take a separate vehicle from you? :bug:



BTW, does anybody around here know the difference between "who" and "whom?"
S
Schmoe
urroner wrote:
tww wrote:
How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.


Much like a steering wheel in the crotch, this one drives me nuts!


I love the talk about steering wheels and then that Scottish slang there at the end Schmoe, the use of "me" in place of "my", but where does it drive your nuts? Do they take a separate vehicle from you? :bug:



BTW, does anybody around here know the difference between "who" and "whom?"


Who is used as a subject pronoun and whom is used as an object pronoun. The easy trick is anytime you could substitute "him," you use "whom," and when you could substitute "he," you use "who."



Example-He did this/Who did this? You gave it to him/You gave it to whom? ;)
C
CougarClaw
i don't need grammer. Or Speling.

As long as I cans puts up my feets at the ends of the day and lossen my belt. I'm good.
A
ABYUFAN
IowaCougar wrote:
OK - here's another one that is spreading like wildfire. I'm seeing it constantly by those who should know better:



Does anyone know the difference between "less" and "fewer" anymore? There seem to be fewer and fewer individuals who do, and their example is less inspiring than it used to be. (By the way, it is "used to", not "use to").



My wife told my I was grumpy teaching Seminary this morning. Maybe I'm less tolerant when I'm tired. ;)

Don't you mean "Maybe I'm fewer tolerant when I'm tired?" :P
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Well, I know when I had early morning seminary, I paid attention fewer when I was un-more awake.
I
IowaCougar
Ddawg wrote:
I gnash my teeth a lot at the bad spelling in the forum, but understand that sometimes it's just typo-issues, and other times it's just thinking faster than one can type. But one of the most annoying spelling mistakes is when people spell the word "lose" as "loose". Now it's spreading to the professional media. Wo is me!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865563843/BYU-football-how-the-Cougars-can-fix-the-O-line.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:sulk:


All-right Iowa Cougar. Now yoo've dun it - yoo've pissed me off a bunch. Drawing atention us folkz that can't spell nuthin' for nuthin'.



Send me yer home address so I can come over and write durty wurds in yer lawn with salt. That'll teach ya.



P.S. It'll bee a long drive. Kan I sleep the nite on yer couch?

;) :lol:


Actually, since we're now empty-nesters, we have two empty bedrooms, so you could have your own room! You just have to promise to come and attend the BYU-Iowa State Basketball game on Dec. 1, rather than spread salt on my lawn :D



-- By the way, it is "rather than", not "rather then." That's another common mistake.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.