Archived Topic

"Earth to Brandon....

by Cougs_Rule · 10/5/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
...Are you watching this USC offense? THIS a passing attack.

Please, for the Love of all things Tradition, Spirit, and Honor, go and do thou likewise.
B
BoiseBYU
dmcougar wrote:
...Are you watching this USC offense? THIS a passing attack.

Please, for the Love of all things Tradition, Spirit, and Honor, go and do thou likewise.


First you need an OLine that runs on Utah to set up the pass. Next you need a QB who is a top five pick. Next you need an OlIne that gives the QB time. Then you need two five star like WRs. Now I like our WRs fine, but they don't have the speed SC's guys have. After we get that all in place we' ll be just fine
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
...Are you watching this USC offense? THIS a passing attack.

Please, for the Love of all things Tradition, Spirit, and Honor, go and do thou likewise.


I was there. It took a while to get it clicking - after those explosive, fast, quick, and shifty backs got the running game on track.



In case you are unaware - BYU has very few athletes that compare with USC skill positions.



USC has a better QB with experience.

USC has better backs and lots of them

Other than Cody Hoffman USC has better receivers.

USC has a better OL

USC weaknesses other than field goal kicking - tough to find.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib wrote:
...Are you watching this USC offense? THIS a passing attack.

Please, for the Love of all things Tradition, Spirit, and Honor, go and do thou likewise.


I was there. It took a while to get it clicking - after those explosive, fast, quick, and shifty backs got the running game on track.



In case you are unaware - BYU has very few athletes that compare with USC skill positions.



USC has a better QB with experience.

USC has better backs and lots of them

Other than Cody Hoffman USC has better receivers.

USC has a better OL

USC weaknesses other than field goal kicking - tough to find.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Did you wear red?

:utard:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
...Are you watching this USC offense? THIS a passing attack.

Please, for the Love of all things Tradition, Spirit, and Honor, go and do thou likewise.


I was there. It took a while to get it clicking - after those explosive, fast, quick, and shifty backs got the running game on track.



In case you are unaware - BYU has very few athletes that compare with USC skill positions.



USC has a better QB with experience.

USC has better backs and lots of them

Other than Cody Hoffman USC has better receivers.

USC has a better OL

USC weaknesses other than field goal kicking - tough to find.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Genious. Simply genious. I never thought of these points.

Let's hope Doman is not as excuse making. :roll:
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
...Are you watching this USC offense? THIS a passing attack.

Please, for the Love of all things Tradition, Spirit, and Honor, go and do thou likewise.


I was there. It took a while to get it clicking - after those explosive, fast, quick, and shifty backs got the running game on track.



In case you are unaware - BYU has very few athletes that compare with USC skill positions.



USC has a better QB with experience.

USC has better backs and lots of them

Other than Cody Hoffman USC has better receivers.

USC has a better OL

USC weaknesses other than field goal kicking - tough to find.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Did you wear red?

:utard:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Of course I wore red. What did you wear? As has been chronicaled here many times, I got my MBA at the U, do not hate the U, and only recently have found myself rooting against U and PAC in certain occasions due to the snub and the Beatdown.



I cannot bring myself to root for teams east of Utah over Utah or PAC. I have to admit rooting for USU over U. I would love to see WAC or MWC or Big Sky beat any PAC team this year including U.



U fans and PAC 12 banners annoy me. And the crass U fans disgust and embarrass me.



Did you think I would Root for USC?



I have a lot of teams I like - I have lived a few places - and I adopt the local teams. I would root for USC vs anyone East of Provo. UCLA too. UCLA over USC. My step sister went to USC.



Basically - all the hate seems silly to me most of the time - but I LOVE underdogs. U was a big dog last night.



Having said all of that - I am way more excited about seeing USU and OSU come to Provo than I was about sitting on the 50 yard line last night at RES. And my BYU seats are not on the 50 and much further from the field.



I would take a bad end-zone seat at LES vs USU or any game this year at LES but Weber State over USC in SLC.



I have managed to extend my weekend trip to Utah to include BYU @ U, UH, USU, and OSU.



The season is not over for me. This is a fun team to watch and support even though I fear that 10 wins is out the window. Never expected 10. Just hoped for 13. Still expect 8 - but way more nervous about USI, OSU, and SJSU who will not roll over and always knew ND and GT would be dangerous.



Yes - Blue - since I am here a month with less than a week's worth of clothes - I borrowed a red sweatshirt and pulled it right over my green Aloha shirt - night game - cold.



I set aside the Blue sweatshirt I borrowed from my son - didn't want to get any Beer or Urine stains on it - want it clean for tonight - and I borrowed a U sweatshirt from my host.



Tailgated. Great food. Mostly nice people. They know I am a BYU fan. I wore White and Blue last time I was with them.



I own exactly ZERO U shirts. Zero. Zero PAC shirts.



Do not lose sleep over it. Wearing Blue tonight.



My friend gave me a silver fold-out thing to put in my windshield area to protect it in Las Vegas heat. He said there is a U on it. Hey - it was Free. I would take a Weber State one if it was free. I will give it - new - and my used iPhone which was forced upon me by my employer - I would rather have kept my Treo - to you if you can produce a used dash-board protector with a Y on it in exchange.



Really will. Since you apparently have iPhone envy. Mine is the At&T version. I kept it so I could keep my old work phone number as my personal phone number. Now that my son is in Texas on a mission - a slot freed up on my Sprint family plan. And now that my former employer released the phone number to me - I can dump AT&T, save money, and use his old slot.



Let me know what phone you think I should get - Function over form - value over status.



Do they still make Treo. I would not want to get a Droid - if getting one would make you bitter.



Anyway - If I do get a Sprint iPhone - please forgive me - it will be because of the old dog - new tricks factor. I may just be too lazy to learn a new phone.



Kind of like my wife who prefers her old flip phone and turned down many smart phones.



Hers is very old and broken - she has started to consider using the iPhone Vivint provided to my son just before he left for the Texas, Houston mission.



Please forgive her if she does - like my iPhone it was free.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
...Are you watching this USC offense? THIS a passing attack.

Please, for the Love of all things Tradition, Spirit, and Honor, go and do thou likewise.


I was there. It took a while to get it clicking - after those explosive, fast, quick, and shifty backs got the running game on track.



In case you are unaware - BYU has very few athletes that compare with USC skill positions.



USC has a better QB with experience.

USC has better backs and lots of them

Other than Cody Hoffman USC has better receivers.

USC has a better OL

USC weaknesses other than field goal kicking - tough to find.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Genious. Simply genious. I never thought of these points.

Let's hope Doman is not as excuse making. :roll:


Excuses or not - since I was at the Y@U game, I did not get to hear Brandon explain why Y could not generate any offense Vs U. He did not address USC manhandling that same defense that now has it's star Safety back on the same RES turf - because it had not happened yet. Do not recall what excuses he made the previous two years.



Did not need to address how ASI man-handled them either.



We are who we are and we are not USC.



We are on PAR with U.



Which means we have a good shot at beating USU on our turf tonight.



Enjoy the game. I expect more drama and suspense and a great entertainment value.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Who cares if USC has better athletes. That doesn't mean we can't employ a similar system. Fine, our QB, WRs and OL will have one less star - that's a given.



Bottom line, our offense sucks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Last QB who could execute a similar offense at BYU was John BEck. HE had the arm strength, mastery and accuracy to do it. Max did not except with Collie, Heaps was too wild and heaven knows Riley lacks the arm strength to do it. And Taysom is too raw just yet to have him make those throws. But hopefully he can get there and challenge a D like that.
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
Who cares if USC has better athletes. That doesn't mean we can't employ a similar system. Fine, our QB, WRs and OL will have one less star - that's a given.



Bottom line, our offense sucks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sucks is such a harsh word.



BYU has an inexperienced offense with above average athleticism - not elite. The inexperience shows. Especially OL. Injured QB did suck - harsh as that word may be.



There is no quick fix. Usually SOS is the quick fix. But this year SOS is way above a typical BYU year.



Buckle up. Wild ride.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I hope Brandon was watching the game. Brian Johnson called a great game for what he had to work with. The ESPN staff seemed impressed with the 25-year-old's play calling and I was too.



Loved to see the Trojans whip Puktah though, even though I usually love to see the Trojan's beaten. There's just a feeling that accompanies that event that's hard to describe.



I'll admit too that the Puktah fans are into the game and possibly it is the design of the stadium, but they are impressively loud and obnoxious.
S
stgeorgefan
EM_Puma wrote:
I hope Brandon was watching the game. Brian Johnson called a great game for what he had to work with. The ESPN staff seemed impressed with the 25-year-old's play calling and I was too.



Loved to see the Trojans whip Puktah though, even though I usually love to see the Trojan's beaten. There's just a feeling that accompanies that event that's hard to describe.



I'll admit too that the Puktah fans are into the game and possibly it is the design of the stadium, but they are impressively loud and obnoxious.




This is what I was thinking as well. Brian Johnson called a really good game. I like how he adjusted well during the game to take what USC was giving them.

USC has a great offense and greater athletes. The athletes USC has would make anyone's offense look good. That aside I really think that Doman is not doing well coaching the offense. Slow to adjust, lack of creativity predictable. We are NOT giving our best athletes the ball enough. JD on a screen, Ross on a quick out, Cody Hoffman with anything. Tight Ends over the middle? Running backs coming out of the backfield? USU's number 1 receiver is their RB!!! Remember back in the day when Unga and Tonga were money if the D blitzed? Curtis Brown made a living on these short easy passes that can get you great YAC.



The option game has been fine when we have the athletes to run it ( riley no longer ) The problem comes when its becomes predictable and we lack trick/creative plays to mix it up.
G
Gunk
Cougarbib wrote:
Who cares if USC has better athletes. That doesn't mean we can't employ a similar system. Fine, our QB, WRs and OL will have one less star - that's a given.



Bottom line, our offense sucks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sucks is such a harsh word.



BYU has an inexperienced offense with above average athleticism - not elite. The inexperience shows. Especially OL. Injured QB did suck - harsh as that word may be.



There is no quick fix. Usually SOS is the quick fix. But this year SOS is way above a typical BYU year.



Buckle up. Wild ride.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sorry, 200 total yards of offense against BSU is sucky.



100 yards rushing against Utah and just over 300 total yards isn't anything to boast about either. By comparision, USU had 370 total yards and 164 rushing yards against Utah. Is USU's O really 65+ yards better than we are?



Fine, we hung 426 yards on Wazzu. Meanwhile Eastern Washingtion eclipsed us with 469, UNLV got 460 yards, Colorado 531, and Oregon 469. BYU has gotten the least amount of yards against WSU. Eastern Washington, Colorado and UNLV were able to move the ball better than we did. Do those teams really have better athletes than we do?



Agree, we have legit athletes. Are they inexperienced, sure. But are they are they really any worse than USU, UNLV, Eastern Washington, or Colorado? Every team has newbies. So what's the dividing factor? COACHING



Doman sucks.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Who cares if USC has better athletes. That doesn't mean we can't employ a similar system. Fine, our QB, WRs and OL will have one less star - that's a given.



Bottom line, our offense sucks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sucks is such a harsh word.



BYU has an inexperienced offense with above average athleticism - not elite. The inexperience shows. Especially OL. Injured QB did suck - harsh as that word may be.



There is no quick fix. Usually SOS is the quick fix. But this year SOS is way above a typical BYU year.



Buckle up. Wild ride.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sorry, 200 total yards of offense against BSU is sucky.



100 yards rushing against Utah and just over 300 total yards isn't anything to boast about either. By comparision, USU had 370 total yards and 164 rushing yards against Utah. Is USU's O really 65+ yards better than we are?



Fine, we hung 426 yards on Wazzu. Meanwhile Eastern Washingtion eclipsed us with 469, UNLV got 460 yards, Colorado 531, and Oregon 469. BYU has gotten the least amount of yards against WSU. Eastern Washington, Colorado and UNLV were able to move the ball better than we did. Do those teams really have better athletes than we do?



Agree, we have legit athletes. Are they inexperienced, sure. But are they are they really any worse than USU, UNLV, Eastern Washington, or Colorado? Every team has newbies. So what's the dividing factor? COACHING



Doman sucks.


This seems to indicate that we did not do as poorly against Wazzu. We scored more than WSU normally allows, and were only 14 yards off the average.



BYU vs Washington St

Points Scored: BYU scored 3 more than WSU allows

Points Allowed: BYU gave up 18 points less than WSU scores

Rushing Yards: BYU ran for 14 fewer yards than WSU allows

Rushing Yards Allowed: BYU gave up 52 fewer yards than WSU gains

PER: BYU was 38 points above WSU's PER Def

PER Def: BYU held WSU 30 points below WSU PER Off

Total Yards: BYU gained 39 more yard than WSU allows

Total Yards Allowed: BYU gave up 110 fewer yards than WSU gains
S
stgeorgefan
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Who cares if USC has better athletes. That doesn't mean we can't employ a similar system. Fine, our QB, WRs and OL will have one less star - that's a given.



Bottom line, our offense sucks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sucks is such a harsh word.



BYU has an inexperienced offense with above average athleticism - not elite. The inexperience shows. Especially OL. Injured QB did suck - harsh as that word may be.



There is no quick fix. Usually SOS is the quick fix. But this year SOS is way above a typical BYU year.



Buckle up. Wild ride.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sorry, 200 total yards of offense against BSU is sucky.



100 yards rushing against Utah and just over 300 total yards isn't anything to boast about either. By comparision, USU had 370 total yards and 164 rushing yards against Utah. Is USU's O really 65+ yards better than we are?



Fine, we hung 426 yards on Wazzu. Meanwhile Eastern Washingtion eclipsed us with 469, UNLV got 460 yards, Colorado 531, and Oregon 469. BYU has gotten the least amount of yards against WSU. Eastern Washington, Colorado and UNLV were able to move the ball better than we did. Do those teams really have better athletes than we do?



Agree, we have legit athletes. Are they inexperienced, sure. But are they are they really any worse than USU, UNLV, Eastern Washington, or Colorado? Every team has newbies. So what's the dividing factor? COACHING



Doman sucks.


I dig these stats. To me they are a good indicator of how good we are stacked up against similar opponents.

I won't go as far as saying Doman sucks, but I will go as far as saying that we are under achieving with the talent we have..(on offense)
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
stgeorgefan wrote:

I dig these stats. To me they are a good indicator of how good we are stacked up against similar opponents.

I won't go as far as saying Doman sucks, but I will go as far as saying that we are under achieving with the talent we have..(on offense)


It'll be interesting to see how Oregon State does this week against WSU. Oregon State is probably over rated after a huge bump from beating an over rated Wisconsin team. OSU's outscored their oponents by a combined score of something like 13 so far. I think it may line up nicely for us to bump off a top 15 team next week if we can do it.
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
Who cares if USC has better athletes. That doesn't mean we can't employ a similar system. Fine, our QB, WRs and OL will have one less star - that's a given.



Bottom line, our offense sucks.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sucks is such a harsh word.



BYU has an inexperienced offense with above average athleticism - not elite. The inexperience shows. Especially OL. Injured QB did suck - harsh as that word may be.



There is no quick fix. Usually SOS is the quick fix. But this year SOS is way above a typical BYU year.



Buckle up. Wild ride.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sorry, 200 total yards of offense against BSU is sucky.



100 yards rushing against Utah and just over 300 total yards isn't anything to boast about either. By comparision, USU had 370 total yards and 164 rushing yards against Utah. Is USU's O really 65+ yards better than we are?



Fine, we hung 426 yards on Wazzu. Meanwhile Eastern Washingtion eclipsed us with 469, UNLV got 460 yards, Colorado 531, and Oregon 469. BYU has gotten the least amount of yards against WSU. Eastern Washington, Colorado and UNLV were able to move the ball better than we did. Do those teams really have better athletes than we do?



Agree, we have legit athletes. Are they inexperienced, sure. But are they are they really any worse than USU, UNLV, Eastern Washington, or Colorado? Every team has newbies. So what's the dividing factor? COACHING



Doman sucks.


This seems to indicate that we did not do as poorly against Wazzu. We scored more than WSU normally allows, and were only 14 yards off the average.i



BYU vs Washington St

Points Scored: BYU scored 3 more than WSU allows

Points Allowed: BYU gave up 18 points less than WSU scores

Rushing Yards: BYU ran for 14 fewer yards than WSU allows

Rushing Yards Allowed: BYU gave up 52 fewer yards than WSU gains

PER: BYU was 38 points above WSU's PER Def

PER Def: BYU held WSU 30 points below WSU PER Off

Total Yards: BYU gained 39 more yard than WSU allows

Total Yards Allowed: BYU gave up 110 fewer yards than WSU gains


Something is up with Spiff's math because according to ESPN BYU gained the least total yardage against WSU. We are 40+ yards shy of Eastern Washington.



Given our athletes we should have hung another 2 TDs on WSU. We all know our Blue Zone performance was average in that game. We have above average athletes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stgeorgefan
Stirfry wrote:

I dig these stats. To me they are a good indicator of how good we are stacked up against similar opponents.

I won't go as far as saying Doman sucks, but I will go as far as saying that we are under achieving with the talent we have..(on offense)


It'll be interesting to see how Oregon State does this week against WSU. Oregon State is probably over rated after a huge bump from beating an over rated Wisconsin team. OSU's outscored their oponents by a combined score of something like 13 so far. I think it may line up nicely for us to bump off a top 15 team next week if we can do it.


While the win against an overrated Wisc. was good, what impressed me about OSU is the win vs Arizona and UCLA.
R
Raiderboy
BYU did have 380 yards of total offense tonight, and won the turnover battle. It's odd to have generated that much offense and only come out with 6 points. To me, the kicking game is more of an issue than the offense.
F
frdbtr
Raiderboy wrote:
BYU did have 380 yards of total offense tonight, and won the turnover battle. It's odd to have generated that much offense and only come out with 6 points. To me, the kicking game is more of an issue than the offense.


+1 Our kicking game needs fixed and quick. With a kicking game and out defense I would feel comfortable predicting a win in all the rest of our games.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.