Archived Topic

The "Ziggy Example"

by catawag · 10/4/2012

Advertisement
C
catawag
I don't post much here but I really think I might have something here so I thought I'd see what you guys think.



I was listening to the radio and they brought up how Gary has really been helping Utah State get better players when it occurred to me. We have a huge advantage to recruiting that not very many other teams have especially utah state, and utah.



Lets take a look at Ziggy. We all knew he could be special but now he is getting all of this attention from guys like Todd McShay and Mel Kiper on ESPN. What is the main reason these guys know about Ziggy??? Its because he is playing on ESPN every game. If it wasn't for our TV deal with ESPN Ziggy would not be getting any attention from anyone except us local people. I saw this tweet from Todd a couple days ago, he heard about Ziggy from Rod Gilmer (yes T Hill is 22.) But thats my point, had it not been for us playing on ESPN Ziggy would not be getting noticed like he is right now.



https://twitter.com/McShay13/status/252063561776504832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



So how can this help us get more and better recruits? Screw the "Pac 12 recruits" lets call these the "independent recruits." Bronco and Doman can go to these kids houses and use the Ziggy example. They can tell these kids that they will be on ESPN, sometimes the only game of the day that the whole country will see. They can assure these kids that they will be on TV all year on NATIONAL TV not the pac crap network. These kids want to be in the NFL and they know that being seen on TV is going to get them drafted, they want their name out there. This is an advantage that we have right now that not very many teams have at all. We need to take advantage of it and I'm sure the coaches already have. But they know have the Ziggy example to use.
M
mizzoucoug
Makes sense to me. Look at Jimmer's senior year. Had he not been an incredibly legendary player that did interviews on ESPN every week then he may not have been drafted at all. One of the most brutal offenses of the Mtn/MWC was not getting him the exposure he deserved. Imagine if most of those games would have been on ESPN. He would have been talked about during his Junior year more as well. Exposure means a lot.
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes! JABARI WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!
G
Guest
Great point. You'll get more exposure at BYU than all but a handful of programs across the country.
S
scott715
True but note that Ziggy was an unknown, a nobody. Where do you find these guys? Maybe ESPN is playing in Africa or other countries and maybe we could pick up a couple of these. Basketball is a better bet with it being played around the world.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
scott715 wrote:
True but note that Ziggy was an unknown, a nobody. Where do you find these guys? Maybe ESPN is playing in Africa or other countries and maybe we could pick up a couple of these. Basketball is a better bet with it being played around the world.

They don't have to come from Africa though. The point is, BYU can turn unknowns into draft picks if they actually have the talent. The fact that Ziggy came from Africa is exactly the point the OP is trying to make. Don't have to be rated 5 stars to make a name for yourself if you've got 10 games a year on national television.
S
scott715
Yes, but if they are an unknown, how do we find them?
H
HoosierCougar
I thought I was going to read a post about the Church sponsoring Pop Warner leagues in Ghana.
C
crh55
HoosierCougar wrote:
I thought I was going to read a post about the Church sponsoring Pop Warner leagues in Ghana.


You didn't hear, Lavell just got a mission call to Ghana....
B
BroncoBot
scott715 wrote:
Yes, but if they are an unknown, how do we find them?

That's the beauty of exposure. BYU doesn't have to find them. They find BYU because they've been watching BYU and like what they see.
Advertisement
S
sladesy
scott715 wrote:
Yes, but if they are an unknown, how do we find them?


I don't think that he is saying that it will help us get more unknowns. He is saying that the example of this total unknown getting this massive attention and a shot in the NFL will help recruiting. Kids want to play in the pros our regular national broadcasts will help get their names out there.
B
BroncoBot
sladesy wrote:
Yes, but if they are an unknown, how do we find them?


I don't think that he is saying that it will help us get more unknowns. He is saying that the example of this total unknown getting this massive attention and a shot in the NFL will help recruiting. Kids want to play in the pros our regular national broadcasts will help get their names out there.

True, but I think the exposure gets us recruits we traditionally don't get. It's a win, win, win.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.