Archived Topic

One of my favorite things about Bronco

by Isola · 10/4/2012

Advertisement
I
Isola
I wish we were 4-0 and ranked #15, like Gary Patterson has done with his team, but Patterson also has this.



I wish BYU won more games, were ranked higher, and I wish we thumped Utah, but it is honestly more important to me that the BYU Headcoach recruit kids that don't get BYU in the news in a negative way.



If the trade off is 10 and 11 win seasons and bowl wins, I will take it. Maybe it is just me.
I
IowaCougar
This is the part that floors me:

"TCU confirmed that Pachall had failed a Feb. 1 drug test, just two weeks before the arrests. Pachall attended a university drug and alcohol awareness program and was not suspended for any game time by Patterson"



Obviously, winning is much more important than anything else for Patterson.
C
Cougarfan87
Well, he did go through a drug and alchohol awareness program, so there is that.



I applaud the way Bronco is representing the Church through the football team.



I have been frustrated by some of the imperfections in his coaching decisions (as I am sure others are frustrated by my imperfections), but I have absolutely zero complaints about the class program he runs. He is doing just what the BOT wanted him to do when he took over.



And, the play this year gives me hope that we can achieve higher levels when we do catch lightning in a bottle and have the offense to match the defense.



Bronco is the right man to run the program.



He just needs to hire me as the common sense coach for clock management, when to go for two or kick the extra point, when to go for it on fourth down, when to onside kick it, and when to bench a QB. ;)
I
IowaCougar
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Well, he did go through a drug and alchohol awareness program, so there is that.


The thing that got me about that is that it appeared that he didn't go through that until after he was arrested. Failing the test was not enough? I believe in second chances, but to have no suspension at all, not even one game?
C
Cougarfan87
IowaCougar wrote:
Well, he did go through a drug and alchohol awareness program, so there is that.


The thing that got me about that is that it appeared that he didn't go through that until after he was arrested. Failing the test was not enough? I believe in second chances, but to have no suspension at all, not even one game?


Failing to hold people accountable for their actions is often disguised as giving someone a second chance. The key distinction should be that when a person has repented of the behavior for which he is being held accoutnable, the person should be given a second chance. Unfortunately for TCU's QB, he never had that opportunity to see he made a mistake, live through the consequences of that mistake, and then come out a better person on the other side.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Well, he did go through a drug and alchohol awareness program, so there is that.


The thing that got me about that is that it appeared that he didn't go through that until after he was arrested. Failing the test was not enough? I believe in second chances, but to have no suspension at all, not even one game?


Failing to hold people accountable for their actions is often disguised as giving someone a second chance. The key distinction should be that when a person has repented of the behavior for which he is being held accoutnable, the person should be given a second chance. Unfortunately for TCU's QB, he never had that opportunity to see he made a mistake, live through the consequences of that mistake, and then come out a better person on the other side.


Case in point: KVN got a 2nd chance--after he paid a price. Kyle has turned out great for us.
C
Cougs_Rule
Isola wrote:
I wish we were 4-0 and ranked #15, like Gary Patterson has done with his team, but Patterson also has this.



I wish BYU won more games, were ranked higher, and I wish we thumped Utah, but it is honestly more important to me that the BYU Headcoach recruit kids that don't get BYU in the news in a negative way.



If the trade off is 10 and 11 win seasons and bowl wins, I will take it. Maybe it is just me.


I agree with this post. Well said.
S
Screamineagle
I dont normally post much on here I just enjoy reading the comments.However, I Could not pass this topic up.I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for Bronco and the team.I appreciate how the team represents us and the Church and the kind of young men the program produces.Yes I do get frustrated as a fan at times but I continue to enjoy Cougar football and other sports.I hope Bronco stays around for a lot longer and I hope sometime all the cards fall just right and the team and the fans get to enjoy that rare magical season.Go Cougs and thanks.
U
Ungoy
Fatterson let Pachall avoid suspension in exchange for a box of doughnuts. This time, Fatterson wanted 2 boxes, and Pachall said no...









On a serious note: I love the way Bronco demands character from his players. This is what we get when football is not top priority. We get players who are people of higher morals, and have good character. Sure we don't win every game, but in the long run it is better for all of these BYU players.
J
jacksonman
Recruiting great characters/running a great program and representing the church well and winning championships are not mutually exclusive. It IS possible to run a great program, which leads to a championship, which brings extra positive attention to the team and hence the church.



I am tired of hearing the excuses and justification for our pathetic performances and decisions as of late based on the fact that it is a result of the BYU honor code and uniqueness of BYU. This line of reasoning does not make sense. Can I use this excuse to my boss, that it is OK that I am not producing, because I am a good person, I am giving it a good effort, and at least I am not stealing from him.



We should have beat Utah. We should have beat Boise St. Losing these games was due to Bronco's man crush on Riley, piss poor management of the QB's and offense over the past several years. Bronco is a great D-Coord and a great church leader, but IMHO, he is not a great head football coach. He puts down the fans, plays favorites with players, chooses starters based on loyalty and seniority and not skill, does not know how to clock manage, does not make good adjustments in game, seems to prepare his teams horribly for big games, and does not seem to get his teams up to play.



Great guy, but consistently falls short of what he has been hired to do, which is to play the best possible football at BYU. We should be better than this. We can be righteous and win games, and last I checked, we have the athletes to do so. So the lack of winning HAS to fall back on the head coach; that is HIS job.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I agree mostly. Success isn't mutually exclusive from running a clean, character chased program. But the good news is he puts first things first. And that is my favorite thing anout Bronco. My least favorite things are the ones you mention.
I
Isola
jacksonman wrote:
Recruiting great characters/running a great program and representing the church well and winning championships are not mutually exclusive. It IS possible to run a great program, which leads to a championship, which brings extra positive attention to the team and hence the church.



I am tired of hearing the excuses and justification for our pathetic performances and decisions as of late based on the fact that it is a result of the BYU honor code and uniqueness of BYU. This line of reasoning does not make sense. Can I use this excuse to my boss, that it is OK that I am not producing, because I am a good person, I am giving it a good effort, and at least I am not stealing from him.



We should have beat Utah. We should have beat Boise St. Losing these games was due to Bronco's man crush on Riley, piss poor management of the QB's and offense over the past several years. Bronco is a great D-Coord and a great church leader, but IMHO, he is not a great head football coach. He puts down the fans, plays favorites with players, chooses starters based on loyalty and seniority and not skill, does not know how to clock manage, does not make good adjustments in game, seems to prepare his teams horribly for big games, and does not seem to get his teams up to play.



Great guy, but consistently falls short of what he has been hired to do, which is to play the best possible football at BYU. We should be better than this. We can be righteous and win games, and last I checked, we have the athletes to do so. So the lack of winning HAS to fall back on the head coach; that is HIS job.

I don't think they are mutually exclusive either, but I am willing to be far more patient than you are. Patterson has been at TCU five more years than Bronco, he is in a recruiting hot bed, he is willing to over look significant character issues with his players AND HE STILL DOESN"T HAVE A FREAKING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! Neither does Whittingham.



May I also point out that as much as you want to blame the Utah and Boise State losses on Bronco and Riley, but football is the ultimate team game. If the center can snap the ball to Riley against Utah then we win by 4. If the RG can hold a block against Boise State then we convert the 2 point conversion. You can argue that if Bronco or Riley had done things differently then those games go differently as well, but the same is true for other players. You just likely to selectively put the blame on the guys you don't like.



And I am sick of the big game argument. As Nate Meickel (sp) pointed out. LaVell and Crowton were a combined 1-15 in their last 16 games against ranked opponents. Nobody does well against ranked opponents. That is why they are ranked.



Bottom line: We are still waiting for the season when "all the cards fall just right" like Screamineagle said, but Bronco has never had a losing season. Bronco has more 11 win seasons than single digit win seasons. He has a 5-2 record in bowl games. And through it all he has recruited a group of players that I am proud to call my team.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.