Archived Topic

BYU Football on TV, baby!

by YNot · 10/2/2012

Advertisement
Y
YNot
Honest question - does anyone know the last time BYU football was on one of the broadcast networks?



We have the opportunity to see BYU on ABC and NBC in consecutive weeks!



This is some serious exposure! Sit back and compare this to the prior 10 years before the 2011 season. When I lived in Oregon, I was lucky to see BYU on tv at all, and that was 2 or 3 games per year on a crappy Versus broadcast.



This year, we have already seen (or will see) the Washington State game on the first night of the college football season and the Utah, Boise St., Hawaii, and Utah State games on ESPN.



Good work, Tom Holmoe and Bronco! Well done!
S
scott715
Amen
J
jonnylingo
I can't imagine what an amazing year this would be if our offense just had its stuff together. that together with our defense and the tv exposure would equal an amazing year.



still lots of good football to enjoy this year.
Y
YNot
Any chance we get ESPN Gameday in Provo after we beat Utah State and Oregon State is undefeated?



Take a look at the October 13 schedule. Not a ton of great matchups that weekend:



http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/10/bcs-conferences-oct-13-2012-tv-schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



ACC - North Carolina at Miami has potential to be a good game. But North Carolina has already lost to Wake Forest and Miami will likely be coming off a fresh loss to Notre Dame.



Big 12 - #17 Oklahoma and #11 Texas at the Red River Rivalry in Dallas is always intriguing. But it is lessened by Oklahoma's loss last weekend. Still, the game will be on ABC. This is a may be - chances increase if Texas beats #8 West Virginia this weekend and Texas sneaks into the top 10. A matchup between two top-15 teams might be enough.



Big East - best game is Louisville at Pitt - 'nuff said.



Big Ten - Iowa at Michigan State is the only game on the radar. Both teams are 3-2.



PAC 12 - #13 USC at #23 Washington should be a good game, but will be on FOX. #14 Oregon State at BYU is on ABC/ESPN...so, there's a chance!



SEC - #6 South Carolina at #4 LSU might take the cake, especially if both are still undefeated and in the top 6 in two weeks - but Gameday is at the Georgia-South Carolina game this weekend. Two weeks in a row for South Carolina and the SEC?



Texas A&M at Louisiana Tech should be a great game, but LA Tech won't be on the national radar until they beat the Aggies.



#18 Stanford at #9 Notre Dame has appeal. Game is on NBC.



The Finalists -

Oklahoma v. Texas in Dallas

Oregon State at BYU

Stanford at Notre Dame

South Carolina at LSU



My hunch is Gameday will be in Dallas October 13.
C
Cougs_Rule
It is very awesome! My only hope for upcoming games is that Riley is back to full strength or we go with TH. bringing back out an injured RN would be horrible on national tv. How come I have a sinking gut feeling that Bronco will be putting his trust in Riley?
Advertisement
Y
YNot
YNot wrote:
Big 12 - #17 Oklahoma and #11 Texas at the Red River Rivalry in Dallas is always intriguing. But it is lessened by Oklahoma's loss last weekend. Still, the game will be on ABC. This is a may be - chances increase if Texas beats #8 West Virginia this weekend and Texas sneaks into the top 10. A matchup between two top-15 teams might be enough.


I should add that the West Virginia at Texas Tech game could turn into a very huge game if West Virginia goes to 5-0 with a win at Texas and Texas Tech goes 5-0 with a win over Oklahoma!
F
frdbtr
My guess is the last time was when we played ND in 2005, it was on NBC and our defense was embarrassing.
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
My guess is the last time was when we played ND in 2005, it was on NBC and our defense was embarrassing.


To say the least.

Can you say Jeff Smardjia (sp). I have never seen such a mismatch vs our DBs.
B
birdie702
dmcougar wrote:
How come I have a sinking gut feeling that Bronco will be putting his trust in Riley?


I'm with you on this one. ^^



I guess I'm ok with a 100% Riley, but definitely not 80% or 90% either. We can't afford that. If he's not 100%, then it would be best to go with Hill.
C
CrimsonCoug
I live on the East Coast and this is going to be a split broadcast. Anyone know if Watch ESPN generally carries those?
Advertisement
Y
Ygridiron4ever
CrimsonCoug wrote:
I live on the East Coast and this is going to be a split broadcast. Anyone know if Watch ESPN generally carries those?


My Directv account tells me that I (who live in DC) will indeed be shown the BYU/USU game on ESPNHD! (your questions scared me for a minute)
P
pjmuli
YNot wrote:
Honest question - does anyone know the last time BYU football was on one of the broadcast networks?



We have the opportunity to see BYU on ABC and NBC in consecutive weeks!



This is some serious exposure! Sit back and compare this to the prior 10 years before the 2011 season. When I lived in Oregon, I was lucky to see BYU on tv at all, and that was 2 or 3 games per year on a crappy Versus broadcast.



This year, we have already seen (or will see) the Washington State game on the first night of the college football season and the Utah, Boise St., Hawaii, and Utah State games on ESPN.



Good work, Tom Holmoe and Bronco! Well done!


Here is to hoping that with so much capacity for viewership, it amounts to exposure and not being exposed.
I
IowaCougar
Ygridiron4ever wrote:
I live on the East Coast and this is going to be a split broadcast. Anyone know if Watch ESPN generally carries those?


My Directv account tells me that I (who live in DC) will indeed be shown the BYU/USU game on ESPNHD! (your questions scared me for a minute)


Really? Mine just says "Teams TBD" (in Iowa).
I
IowaCougar
Actually, I just checked the listings on my local ABC station website, and it lists the Illinois game. :angry: We finally get on broadcast TV, and I won't get it. I was hoping to DVR because of another commitment. Well, maybe I'll just plan on watching on BYUtv.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.