Archived Topic

Rest of the season

by cscoug · 10/2/2012

Advertisement
C
cscoug
Each year, I try not to get over-excited about the possibilities of what BYU football might do. But this year, I especially tried to hold back. Still, I looked at the schedule and felt there was not one game we couldn't win if we prepared well. With that in mind, I predicted a 10-2 season with a bowl win. Optimistic by some standards, but conservative compared to some others. When the Utah loss happened, my heart broke wide open. The loss was awful. Equally bad was the reality that no matter what we did from there on out, we would be going to San Diego to plan a team from the MWC to end our season. We had no other attainable season-long goals available.



We still don't. Maybe I am setting myself up for failure, but these next four weeks are now my defacto bowl game/chance for glory. We face Utah St at home, ranked Oregon St and Notre Dame teams, and finish in ACC territory with Georgia Tech. This is much more exciting than the MWC #2 we get in the Poinsettia Bowl. (Please spare us a regular season repeat, by the way.)



Unfortunately, the pinnacle of our season is upon us. I really hope to do better than our first four games. I really, really hope!
S
scott715
So far ever game has been winable. We are playing to get into the top 25 and to pick up a few more good recruits. Win the next two games and we are knocking on the door of the top 25.
F
frdbtr
scott715 wrote:
So far ever game has been winable. We are playing to get into the top 25 and to pick up a few more good recruits. Win the next two games and we are knocking on the door of the top 25.


We beat a #13+ OSU and do it handily and we are going to be in the top 25.
C
Cougs_Rule
cscoug wrote:
Each year, I try not to get over-excited about the possibilities of what BYU football might do. But this year, I especially tried to hold back. Still, I looked at the schedule and felt there was not one game we couldn't win if we prepared well. With that in mind, I predicted a 10-2 season with a bowl win. Optimistic by some standards, but conservative compared to some others. When the Utah loss happened, my heart broke wide open. The loss was awful. Equally bad was the reality that no matter what we did from there on out, we would be going to San Diego to plan a team from the MWC to end our season. We had no other attainable season-long goals available.



Unfortunately, the pinnacle of our season is upon us. I really hope to do better than our first four games. I really, really hope!


The pinnacle of the season is over. We lost to our rival and our future rival. Anything else is eye candy. Or more dirt, I mean injured Riley, rubbed in our faces.
G
Gunk
BYU raised its foot and shot it this season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Y
YNot
dmcougar wrote:
The pinnacle of the season is over. We lost to our rival and our future rival. Anything else is eye candy. Or more dirt, I mean injured Riley, rubbed in our faces.


But from a national rankings perspective, the pinnacle of BYU's season is far from over. Early-season losses are easier to get over, even if they were to rivals. If BYU beats USU this week and a top-20 (or better) Oregon State, BYU will be close to, if not in, the top-25. If BYU then beats a top-10 Notre dame, BYU is in the top 25 for sure and likely closer to 20. BYU wins out the rest of its games, and it is very likely that BYU will be BCS eligible (top 16) - though there is NO WAY IN EWETELAND that BYU gets invited to a BCS bowl game.



Make no mistake; BYU still has a chance to make a lot of noise in the national rankings. BYU has the defense to give us a chance in every single game. If Hill, Williams, and our other offensive weapons can figure it out, this could still turn into a great season.
W
Wickchad
I'd love another shot at Boise State in the bowl game.
S
scott715
a 11-1 BYU would have been in line for the BCS this year. Let's get to 10-2 and see where we end up.
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I'd love another shot at Boise State in the bowl game.


Agreed!
E
EM_Puma
That is the reality that from the rival game, this is now the only pinnacle left of the season. Nevada will be no push over in the Poinsetta if they make it there as projected, but still it's not Oregon St, Notre Dame or Georgia Tech. With two of those teams ranked in the top 25, that's still a whole lot to live for and becomes the crux of my season. I don't much care about the last 3 games as they will only be a huge castastrophy if we lose.
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
cscoug wrote:
Each year, I try not to get over-excited about the possibilities of what BYU football might do. But this year, I especially tried to hold back. Still, I looked at the schedule and felt there was not one game we couldn't win if we prepared well. With that in mind, I predicted a 10-2 season with a bowl win. Optimistic by some standards, but conservative compared to some others. When the Utah loss happened, my heart broke wide open. The loss was awful. Equally bad was the reality that no matter what we did from there on out, we would be going to San Diego to plan a team from the MWC to end our season. We had no other attainable season-long goals available.



We still don't. Maybe I am setting myself up for failure, but these next four weeks are now my defacto bowl game/chance for glory. We face Utah St at home, ranked Oregon St and Notre Dame teams, and finish in ACC territory with Georgia Tech. This is much more exciting than the MWC #2 we get in the Poinsettia Bowl. (Please spare us a regular season repeat, by the way.)



Unfortunately, the pinnacle of our season is upon us. I really hope to do better than our first four games. I really, really hope!


I feel your pain. I really do.



After losing to Utah and BSU, this season is a failure for me. If we win the rest of our games, then I look back and realize for the 8th year in a row, it took our coaching staff too long to figure out what this team really is.



If we lose more games then I am frustrated with what could have been.



I won't get over this year losing to both Utah and BSU when neither team is any good.



It was really strange going to the Hawaii game last week and realizing that for the first time, in a long time, I didn't care much.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.