Archived Topic

PER Standard for Tomorrow's game.

by SpiffCoug · 9/27/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Should the 135 PER standard be adjusted for Taysom Hill?



Here are various winning percentages for BYU when they reach certain PER levels:

175+: .964

165-175: .879

155-165: .788

145-155: .857

135-145: .813

125-135: .655

115-125: .423

105-115: .471

95-105: .263

Less than 95: .219



I usually want to keep my standards the same, but given that we do have a true freshman starting his first game, does he still need to reach the 135 PER standard?
S
StatsCougar
Yes.
G
Guest
He will be a true freshman, starting his first game. But he will also be playing against one of the worst defenses in the country, playing thousands of miles from their home.



I'd say we should look to see a 115 or better, I'd be disappointed with anything lower. But anything over a hundred would be good enough to start the next game.
L
Lawboy
135.



Hawaii haas a DPER rating of over 180, so we sure better be able to get at least a 135. Hoping for 145.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sounds Ike even Riley could win this Game, or jake heaps, or Hill.
Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
I say 700.



With what he started off with, he should be improving. If he regresses, it's time to yank him.



TIC
V
vancouvercougar
I f Hill starts this game, and I think he will, his PER should be 145 to 150 against this Hawaii team. Throw in 50 to 70 yards rushing, and Taysom will look pretty good.
B
bandofbros84
Are we even sure Hill is starting? I havn't heard anything and i just read Bronco's post-practice comments.
F
fifthqb
Have to hold everyone to the same standard. That being said, I'm not concerned about the per in this game really. I can see it either being high, because Hawaii is terrible, or low because Hill is a new player. Either way I think we end up with a win.



I'm just worried about this game becoming a benchmark in people's minds for a long time. We have had the problem in the past with mediocre QB's destroying terrible teams and setting expectations extremely high. Then when that same QB faces a decent team and struggles the fan base screams "he's regressed! Yank him!".



I refuse to to make any lasting impressions on the kid from this one game. If he does terrible, he just isn't ready and should continue to get looks, it's not a commentary on his potential. If he kills it, then good for him, but we won't really know what he brings to the table until he plays a full game against a good defense.
F
frdbtr
He needs to look like a BYU QB. Heaps didn't look like one all last year until Nelson sat. Nelson hasn't looked like on in the last 2 games. If looking like a BYU QB is a 135+ per than I vote for that.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Quick question for Spiff, BYU's had 3 true freshmen start, if I recall correctly. What were the PERs recorded by those freshmen?
S
SpiffCoug
BYU true freshmen QBs in their first start:



1997 Drew Miller: Lost 3-14 at UTEP; 17 of 32 for 226 yards, 0 TDs 3 INTs 93.70 PER

2003 John Beck: Lost 14-18 vs Stanford; 22 of 45 for 279 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs 99.41 PER

2010 Jake Heaps: Lost 13-27 vs Nevada; 24 of 45 for 229 yards, 0 TDs 0 INTs 96.07 PER

Totals: Lost 30-59, W/L 0-3; 63 of 122 for 734 yards, 1 TD 5 INTs, 96.69 PER



Some redshirt freshmen's first start:

2002 Matt Berry: Lost 10-37 at Colorado St; 17 of 26 for 148 yards, 0 TDs 1 INT 105.51 PER

1988 Ty Detmer: Lost 14-24 at Wyoming; 9 of 26 for 133 yards, 1 TD 4 INTs 59.51 PER

Totals: Lost 24-61, W/L 0-2; 26 of 52 for 181 yards, 1 TD 5 INTs, 82.51 PER



Totals: Lost 54-120, W/L 0-5; 89 of 174 for 1,015 yards, 2 TDs 10 INTs, 92.45 PER
C
Cougarbib
Are any of the bigger whiners getting a sense for why Bronco tried not to start a True Freshman on the road at U and / or BSU. Experience matters and it was a tough call. Having said that, he waited too long to pull the plug.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Cougarbib wrote:
Are any of the bigger whiners getting a sense for why Bronco tried not to start a True Freshman on the road at U and / or BSU. Experience matters and it was a tough call. Having said that, he waited too long to pull the plug.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


No need for name calling, bib.
B
BYULV
Cougarbib wrote:
Are any of the bigger whiners getting a sense for why Bronco tried not to start a True Freshman on the road at U and / or BSU. Experience matters and it was a tough call. Having said that, he waited too long to pull the plug.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Any of those performances would have likely won us the game up in Boise. :~(
Advertisement
G
Guest
hawkwing wrote:
He will be a true freshman, starting his first game. But he will also be playing against one of the worst defenses in the country, playing thousands of miles from their home.



I'd say we should look to see a 115 or better, I'd be disappointed with anything lower. But anything over a hundred would be good enough to start the next game.


Ended up with a 123.85. Below the standard but above the mark I had thought he would hit (115). Looked good out there but still lots of room for improvement.



I hope Domans play calling doesn't lead to him breaking his back too. He took a couple decent hits on some of those options and draws.
C
Cougarbib
Lark and Munns got some reps as well.



Might need them somewhere down the line.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
IowaCougar
Cougarbib wrote:
Lark and Munns got some reps as well.



Might need them somewhere down the line.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I was wondering if that was Munns in there at the end. Since ESPN stopped talking about the game in the 4th quarter, it was never mentioned.
S
scott715
Munns #11 on the 4th down try. Did not make the 135 due to the interception. Still good for a freshman.
R
rblack
SpiffCoug wrote:
BYU true freshmen QBs in their first start:



1997 Drew Miller: Lost 3-14 at UTEP; 17 of 32 for 226 yards, 0 TDs 3 INTs 93.70 PER

2003 John Beck: Lost 14-18 vs Stanford; 22 of 45 for 279 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs 99.41 PER

2010 Jake Heaps: Lost 13-27 vs Nevada; 24 of 45 for 229 yards, 0 TDs 0 INTs 96.07 PER

Totals: Lost 30-59, W/L 0-3; 63 of 122 for 734 yards, 1 TD 5 INTs, 96.69 PER



Some redshirt freshmen's first start:

2002 Matt Berry: Lost 10-37 at Colorado St; 17 of 26 for 148 yards, 0 TDs 1 INT 105.51 PER

1988 Ty Detmer: Lost 14-24 at Wyoming; 9 of 26 for 133 yards, 1 TD 4 INTs 59.51 PER

Totals: Lost 24-61, W/L 0-2; 26 of 52 for 181 yards, 1 TD 5 INTs, 82.51 PER



Totals: Lost 54-120, W/L 0-5; 89 of 174 for 1,015 yards, 2 TDs 10 INTs, 92.45 PER

Ty Detmer didn't start the Wyoming game, although he played significant minutes. His first start was the New Mexico game where they won.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.