Archived Topic

Norm Chow and BYU

by ABYUFAN · 9/26/2012

Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Today's SLTrib article from Kragthorp has the statement that Chow was callig the plays for BYU as early as 1983. As old as I am, I cannot remember specific coaching responsiblities that time, and I'm hoping that some with better information than me could help me out on this. I read that Norm was the receiver's coach at that time, and I have a hard time believing that Ben Cahoon could be calling plays for us now, so I don't see how Chow could have been callign plays back then.



SO I think either Kragthorp is as wrong as anything else I read in the Trib, or I have been undervaluing Chow all this time.... what do the old timers say?
C
crazycougar84601
The games aren't in the afternoons anymore
C
Cougarfan87
crazycougar84601 wrote:
The games aren't in the afternoons anymore


Bezinga! :lol:
C
Cougarfan87
ABYUFAN wrote:
Today's SLTrib article from Kragthorp has the statement that Chow was callig the plays for BYU as early as 1983. As old as I am, I cannot remember specific coaching responsiblities that time, and I'm hoping that some with better information than me could help me out on this. I read that Norm was the receiver's coach at that time, and I have a hard time believing that Ben Cahoon could be calling plays for us now, so I don't see how Chow could have been callign plays back then.



SO I think either Kragthorp is as wrong as anything else I read in the Trib, or I have been undervaluing Chow all this time.... what do the old timers say?


From Wikipedia (so consider the source):



Chow began his coaching career in Hawaii, where he was born, at Waialua High and Intermediate School. He was the head coach there from 1970 to 1972. In 1973 he left for BYU to be a Graduate Assistant, a position he held for two seasons.[4] He was promoted to receivers coach in 1976, a post he would hold until 1982 (apart from a one-year stint as running backs coach).[5]



In 1982, head coach LaVell Edwards named Chow as principal offensive play-caller.[6] He continued to call all the offensive plays until he left the program after the 1999 season. In 1984 BYU won the consensus national championship. He became quarterbacks coach in 1986, and was officially given the title of offensive coordinator in 1996.[7] During his 27 years with BYU, they had a record of 244–91–3.[5]
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Today's SLTrib article from Kragthorp has the statement that Chow was callig the plays for BYU as early as 1983. As old as I am, I cannot remember specific coaching responsiblities that time, and I'm hoping that some with better information than me could help me out on this. I read that Norm was the receiver's coach at that time, and I have a hard time believing that Ben Cahoon could be calling plays for us now, so I don't see how Chow could have been callign plays back then.



SO I think either Kragthorp is as wrong as anything else I read in the Trib, or I have been undervaluing Chow all this time.... what do the old timers say?


From Wikipedia (so consider the source):



Chow began his coaching career in Hawaii, where he was born, at Waialua High and Intermediate School. He was the head coach there from 1970 to 1972. In 1973 he left for BYU to be a Graduate Assistant, a position he held for two seasons.[4] He was promoted to receivers coach in 1976, a post he would hold until 1982 (apart from a one-year stint as running backs coach).[5]



In 1982, head coach LaVell Edwards named Chow as principal offensive play-caller.[6] He continued to call all the offensive plays until he left the program after the 1999 season. In 1984 BYU won the consensus national championship. He became quarterbacks coach in 1986, and was officially given the title of offensive coordinator in 1996.[7] During his 27 years with BYU, they had a record of 244–91–3.[5]

Thanks The U football bio says that same thing... that's weird that the Receiver's Coach called the offensive plays
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
It's hard to say how much playcalling Chow did in 1983. I'm not sure what Roger French's playcalling philosophy was, but Mike Holmgren was also on staff at the time as QB coach, so I can see him also calling plays. Maybe they all took turns or something--I'm sure Lance Reynolds knows. He was part of an offensive staff in 1985 that included Roger French, Mike Holmgren, and Norm Chow.
R
rblack
According to BYU's website, "Hawai’i head coach Norm Chow coached at BYU for 27 years. Chow coached in numerous capacities including assistant head coach, offensive coordinator, co-offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach, receivers coach and recruiting coordinator. Working under legendary head coach LaVell Edwards, Chow called the offensive plays at BYU from 1982-99."

http://byucougars.com/m-football/byu-vs-hawaii-game-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
SpiffCoug
Leaving BYU was one of the best things to ever happen to Norm Chow. His offensive "genius" status was solidified when he translated BYU success to success in the ACC and PAC-10.



Of course it helped when he had NFL top-10 talent at QB at those places as well.



Chow is like many coaches. He makes great players look great. If you're an average player you look average.



When Chow didn't have talent, his offense didn't run as well (see BYU between Bosco and Detmer, BYU after Sark and his entire tenure at UCLA and Utah) and was less than spectacular.
V
vancouvercougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
Leaving BYU was one of the best things to ever happen to Norm Chow. His offensive "genius" status was solidified when he translated BYU success to success in the ACC and PAC-10.



Of course it helped when he had NFL top-10 talent at QB at those places as well.



Chow is like many coaches. He makes great players look great. If you're an average player you look average.



When Chow didn't have talent, his offense didn't run as well (see BYU between Bosco and Detmer, BYU after Sark and his entire tenure at UCLA and Utah) and was less than spectacular.


When we played a Chow offense (UCLA) in 2008 we won 59 - 0. I am hoping for a similar result on Friday. 8) 8)
C
Cougarbib
vancouvercougar wrote:
Leaving BYU was one of the best things to ever happen to Norm Chow. His offensive "genius" status was solidified when he translated BYU success to success in the ACC and PAC-10.



Of course it helped when he had NFL top-10 talent at QB at those places as well.



Chow is like many coaches. He makes great players look great. If you're an average player you look average.



When Chow didn't have talent, his offense didn't run as well (see BYU between Bosco and Detmer, BYU after Sark and his entire tenure at UCLA and Utah) and was less than spectacular.


When we played a Chow offense (UCLA) in 2008 we won 59 - 0. I am hoping for a similar result on Friday. 8) 8)


Anything but what Chow gave us last year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Leaving BYU was one of the best things to ever happen to Norm Chow. His offensive "genius" status was solidified when he translated BYU success to success in the ACC and PAC-10.



Of course it helped when he had NFL top-10 talent at QB at those places as well.



Chow is like many coaches. He makes great players look great. If you're an average player you look average.



When Chow didn't have talent, his offense didn't run as well (see BYU between Bosco and Detmer, BYU after Sark and his entire tenure at UCLA and Utah) and was less than spectacular.


When we played a Chow offense (UCLA) in 2008 we won 59 - 0. I am hoping for a similar result on Friday. 8) 8)


Anything but what Chow gave us last year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

As long as the offense doesn't give the Warriors two defensive touchdowns or commit multiple turnovers inside the 20, then we should be more than ok.



I think one reason Hawaii is struggling so much, is perhaps because Chow is now on the sideline after being in the booth for almost all of his coaching career.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.