Archived Topic

I have to agree with Jay Drew

by tww · 9/25/2012

Advertisement
T
tww
"If Doman went with Hill over Lark because Hill's a better fit for the offense, then he's changed the offense too much for Nelson. A mistake."



I think this became glaringly evident when Doman called a QB draw in the first quarter of Weber State game.



QB draws should be more like a secret weapon that are pulled out in the 4th quarter of big games. If you are calling them because your running game and passing game aren't working then your offense clearly sucks and spending your QB's health is not the answer.



Even though I like Hill getting reps, I think Doman is choosing him for the wrong reasons which will be detrimental in the long run. We know Hill can run but what he needs is to learn how to manage a complete offense, especially the passing attack. I am afraid that Hill will ultimately face the same fate as Nelson.



The list of run-first QB's that have been successful is very short and many of those failures have been very good runners and durable athletes.



It seems like Doman has gone bush league with his running QB offense rather than a sophisticated and overwhelming run-pass-scramble offense.
C
Cougs_Rule
Exactly!! Maybe, just maybe, Bronco knows this and is protecting Hill.......ah forget about it, not a chance.

Great post. I have warned about this for two years--taking most of it out on Riley in a misdirected way. But match who BD is at the core (Heals didn't come close to that) and RN as well and "Down goes Riley. Down goes Heaps. Down goes Riley, etc, etc.

Why don't we just give the ball to Ansah and let him play school yard smashmouth, if thats what BD wants.
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Exactly!! Maybe, just maybe, Bronco knows this and is protecting Hill.......ah forget about it, not a chance.

Great post. I have warned about this for two years--taking most of it out on Riley in a misdirected way. But match who BD is at the core (Heals didn't come close to that) and RN as well and "Down goes Riley. Down goes Heaps. Down goes Riley, etc, etc.

Why don't we just give the ball to Ansah and let him play school yard smashmouth, if thats what BD wants.


You may be onto something. Maybe Ansah is the ansaw to our lack of fullback. Maybe a monster tight end.



:)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
tww wrote:
"If Doman went with Hill over Lark because Hill's a better fit for the offense, then he's changed the offense too much for Nelson. A mistake."



I think this became glaringly evident when Doman called a QB draw in the first quarter of Weber State game.



QB draws should be more like a secret weapon that are pulled out in the 4th quarter of big games. If you are calling them because your running game and passing game aren't working then your offense clearly sucks and spending your QB's health is not the answer.



Even though I like Hill getting reps, I think Doman is choosing him for the wrong reasons which will be detrimental in the long run. We know Hill can run but what he needs is to learn how to manage a complete offense, especially the passing attack. I am afraid that Hill will ultimately face the same fate as Nelson.



The list of run-first QB's that have been successful is very short and many of those failures have been very good runners and durable athletes.



It seems like Doman has gone bush league with his running QB offense rather than a sophisticated and overwhelming run-pass-scramble offense.


I saw the tweet and agreed as well. I almost get the feeling that Doman feels the pressure to perform and is returning to what he knows best--option football. He ran an early version of spread QB read option under Crowton and of course he was an option QB in high school. I hope BYU doesn't go this direction because they don't have the personnel to effectively run this type of offense.



Given BYU's general recruiting patterns, BYU best bet long term is to run a power offense with a downhill running game and a passing game based on West Coast Offense principles. Given Doman's background, I was skeptical from day 1 of Doman's hiring if he had the chops to develop QB's with this skill set and (from the time of his promotion) to create such an offensive scheme.



At the risk of appearing revisionist, looking back at Doman's tutoring of Beck and Hall, I really don't see much development from either in terms of QB fundamentals. Doman did a great job motivating both of them, but I'm not sure how much either player's QB skills improved under Doman. Beck was a bit of a head case, so getting rah-rahs in his ear from Doman was a big help to his confidence, allowing him to perform at a high level. Hall's confidence and BYU stable scheme allowed him to perform better from the start--I think Hall would have played about the same with or without Doman as QB coach.
T
tww
dmcougar wrote:

Why don't we just give the ball to Ansah and let him play school yard smashmouth, if thats what BD wants.


LOL! I love it. Now that's a wild cat.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
tww wrote:
"If Doman went with Hill over Lark because Hill's a better fit for the offense, then he's changed the offense too much for Nelson. A mistake."



I think this became glaringly evident when Doman called a QB draw in the first quarter of Weber State game.



QB draws should be more like a secret weapon that are pulled out in the 4th quarter of big games. If you are calling them because your running game and passing game aren't working then your offense clearly sucks and spending your QB's health is not the answer.


It is not a mistake to tailor your offense to the strengths of your best quarterback. Or to the heir-apparent quarterback's strengths.



And QB draws are not reserved as secret weapons for the 4th quarter.



What really has happened the last two weeks? BYU's starting quarterback significantly underperformed (due to injury) and the opponents' defenses and defensive gameplans beat us.



The sky is not falling. No, we are not winning the national championship, but BYU football will be fine. We are not a top 15 team right now, but I do not doubt that we can finish the season with 10 wins again (including the bowl game) and ranked in the top 25 again.



I'm hoping for some great defense on our three-game homestand and for the offense to get back on track and get close to 30 points per game again.
T
tww
YNot wrote:
"If Doman went with Hill over Lark because Hill's a better fit for the offense, then he's changed the offense too much for Nelson. A mistake."



I think this became glaringly evident when Doman called a QB draw in the first quarter of Weber State game.



QB draws should be more like a secret weapon that are pulled out in the 4th quarter of big games. If you are calling them because your running game and passing game aren't working then your offense clearly sucks and spending your QB's health is not the answer.


It is not a mistake to tailor your offense to the strengths of your best quarterback. Or to the heir-apparent quarterback's strengths.



And QB draws are not reserved as secret weapons for the 4th quarter.



What really has happened the last two weeks? BYU's starting quarterback significantly underperformed (due to injury) and the opponents' defenses and defensive gameplans beat us.


And how was BYU's starting QB injured? Oh yeah, during a couple of QB draws against Weber State.



My point was that if a win against Weber State costs you your starting QB it is a bad expenditure. If you are going to sacrifice your starting QB don't do it for an FCS team, save him for a game where you get your money's worth. In other words, BYU should have been able to beat Weber State easily without sacrificing the starting QB and thus losing two close games to an old rival and a new rival. Not good management of personnel capital. It appears that now Doman is getting ready to spend Hill the same way. Lark may get his shot yet.
G
Gunk
Mingjai wrote:
"If Doman went with Hill over Lark because Hill's a better fit for the offense, then he's changed the offense too much for Nelson. A mistake."



I think this became glaringly evident when Doman called a QB draw in the first quarter of Weber State game.



QB draws should be more like a secret weapon that are pulled out in the 4th quarter of big games. If you are calling them because your running game and passing game aren't working then your offense clearly sucks and spending your QB's health is not the answer.



Even though I like Hill getting reps, I think Doman is choosing him for the wrong reasons which will be detrimental in the long run. We know Hill can run but what he needs is to learn how to manage a complete offense, especially the passing attack. I am afraid that Hill will ultimately face the same fate as Nelson.



The list of run-first QB's that have been successful is very short and many of those failures have been very good runners and durable athletes.



It seems like Doman has gone bush league with his running QB offense rather than a sophisticated and overwhelming run-pass-scramble offense.


I saw the tweet and agreed as well. I almost get the feeling that Doman feels the pressure to perform and is returning to what he knows best--option football. He ran an early version of spread QB read option under Crowton and of course he was an option QB in high school. I hope BYU doesn't go this direction because they don't have the personnel to effectively run this type of offense.



Given BYU's general recruiting patterns, BYU best bet long term is to run a power offense with a downhill running game and a passing game based on West Coast Offense principles. Given Doman's background, I was skeptical from day 1 of Doman's hiring if he had the chops to develop QB's with this skill set and (from the time of his promotion) to create such an offensive scheme.



At the risk of appearing revisionist, looking back at Doman's tutoring of Beck and Hall, I really don't see much development from either in terms of QB fundamentals. Doman did a great job motivating both of them, but I'm not sure how much either player's QB skills improved under Doman. Beck was a bit of a head case, so getting rah-rahs in his ear from Doman was a big help to his confidence, allowing him to perform at a high level. Hall's confidence and BYU stable scheme allowed him to perform better from the start--I think Hall would have played about the same with or without Doman as QB coach.


Agree. BYU will likely never have another Luke Staley.



I miss BYU's throwing offense. Get some big, mean guys up front, a QB with an arm, and WRs with goods hands that run clean routes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I think half of the RN runs are his decision. He won't change his style of play.
S
scotts
Best athletes on offense? The receivers. Play Lark who can get it into THEIR hands!
Advertisement
Y
YNot
tww wrote:
My point was that if a win against Weber State costs you your starting QB it is a bad expenditure. If you are going to sacrifice your starting QB don't do it for an FCS team, save him for a game where you get your money's worth. In other words, BYU should have been able to beat Weber State easily without sacrificing the starting QB and thus losing two close games to an old rival and a new rival. Not good management of personnel capital. It appears that now Doman is getting ready to spend Hill the same way. Lark may get his shot yet.


Good points. You have convinced me. It's kind of silly that Nelson's injury came against an FCS opponent. Does anyone know what play he was injured on? It was probably after the game was well in hand.



If Nelson's injury had come during the Utah game, at least we would have had a quarter or two of the real deal. Would that have made the difference?



And why not run a draw to Alisa, Williams, or even Pritchard, Foote, or Lasike? Let our bruising running backs deliver the punishment instead of Nelson and Hill taking the punishment.
G
Gunk
YNot wrote:

Good points. You have convinced me. It's kind of silly that Nelson's injury came against an FCS opponent. Does anyone know what play he was injured on? It was probably after the game was well in hand.



If Nelson's injury had come during the Utah game, at least we would have had a quarter or two of the real deal. Would that have made the difference?



And why not run a draw to Alisa, Williams, or even Pritchard, Foote, or Lasike? Let our bruising running backs deliver the punishment instead of Nelson and Hill taking the punishment.


My understanding is the hit came during the 2nd quarter of the Weber game. As a result, Nelson didn't practice the week prior to Utah. So, Nelson was too hurt to practice, but not too hurt to play. :skeptic:



Nelson started the Utah game hurt; hence, no production from him from the get go.



I don't understand Doman using QBs as RBs. If that's the game plan then why bother having a QB. Just put a RB behind center and use the WRs as blockers. Instead, every other play Doman is using his QB as though he were a RB whether it's a QB draw or option play.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.