Archived Topic

Multi-Role Coaches

by tmoney35 · 9/25/2012

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
We have a HC/DC and OC/QB coach. Is this common at other schools as well? Is it a big disadvantage to not have a dedicated QB coach and DC, or not that big a deal?



Any insights would be appreciated
E
EM_Puma
I think technically Max Hall, as a grad assistant, it doing a lot of the QB coaching, under the tutelage of Doman. I don't know any more than what I've seen at the games and how involved Max is on the sidelines with talking to the QB's as the leave the field. Now if he's only a mouth piece of Doman from above doing the OC duties, I don't know.
G
Guest
Teams are only allowed 10 paid, full-time coaches and 2 graduate assistants. So every team has to have coaches pulling multiple duties.
S
SpiffCoug
Most schools double up. But I do think that it is somewhat fair to say that our OC/QB Coach is struggling with the additional responsibility.



Although, all he really needs is an efficient and accurate QB (like we saw after the USU game last year, with both QBs, and the first two games this year).



Some doubled up coaches at the current AP Top 5 schools and other schools:

1. Alabama: Doug Nussmeier OC/QB Coach & Kirby Smart DC/LB Coach

2. Oregon: Nick Aliotti DC/DB Coach & Mark Helfrich OC/QB Coach

3. LSU: John Chavis DC/LB Coach & Greg Studrawa OC/OL Coach

4. Florida St: James Coley OC/TE Coach & Mark Stoops DC/DB Coach

5. Georgia: Mike Bobo OC/QB Coach & Todd Grantham DC/OLB Coach

16. Oklahoma: Mike Stoops DC/DB Coach & Josh Heupel OC/QB Coach

NR. Oklahoma St: Bill Young DC/DL Coach & Todd Monken OC/QB Coach



So in the top 5, three teams' OC is also the QB coach.
C
Cougarbib
tmoney35 wrote:
We have a HC/DC and OC/QB coach. Is this common at other schools as well? Is it a big disadvantage to not have a dedicated QB coach and DC, or not that big a deal?



Any insights would be appreciated


It is not only common, it cannot be avoided. You are only allowed a limited number of coaches - not enough to go 1 for 1 on each position group plus have OC and DC.



You can fudge a bit with the limited number of grad assistants and now, the unlimited use of former players that have not graduated. But these are just helpers - not full position group coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
EM_Puma wrote:
I think technically Max Hall, as a grad assistant, it doing a lot of the QB coaching, under the tutelage of Doman. I don't know any more than what I've seen at the games and how involved Max is on the sidelines with talking to the QB's as the leave the field. Now if he's only a mouth piece of Doman from above doing the OC duties, I don't know.


Hall is not a grad assistant. He did not graduate. Teams seem to be allowed as many un graduated assistants as they want to carry. But they are just helpers - not position coaches.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.