Archived Topic

Who is the better OC, Anae or Doman?

by hawkwing · 9/25/2012

Advertisement
G
Guest
Please vote for the better offensive coordinator, either Robert Anae or Brandon Doman. There is no 'tied' or 'equally bad' option, this is real life and not grade school.



No vote changes, you get to own your answer.
J
jonnylingo
I am going to have to say Anae simply based on results. While he made questionable play calls and seems to struggle with gameplanning his offense seemed to be more disciplined and better at executing than domans. his style of offense was also more byu like. also i saw offensive players get better under him. i am seeing little improvement by our offensive players under doman.



hard to know but i think that anae has proven himself more than doman and that is why i would go with anae.
P
pjmuli
As it currently stands, the results speak for themselves.
C
Cougs_Rule
I really want to say BDoman. I like him. I think he could show more creativity and that was one Anaes problem. But I do think players improved. I also think Weber answered better to Anae (also Oline coach.) not sure weber is responding to Doman.

I also wonder if Doman got the job bc he was kind of a yes man and Anae was defiant to Bronco. Huh. Look at the O now.

Anae.
S
Stirfry
I'm certainly no expert but since Anae went with 9 lineman shoulder to shoulder on 2nd and 3rd and 9 or 10 against the 2009 TCU team we struggled to run against even when there was a threat of a pass he lost it with me. Opting to stall our drive in the 2010 Utah game and settling for a 40+ yard field goal to win the game did it for me too.



It's too hard to judge Doman as a play caller with the situation he's been in starting with the Heaps/Nelson and line issues last year and the line issues/injured Nelson this year. There's more to being an OC than play calling and I question the coaches leadership skills based on the issues from last year but Anae had a part in those too.



At this point I think it's 6's and Doman has room to improve while Anae was who he was.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Anae. No question.



Doman has no experience whatsoever. Doman was a QB that flamed out in the NFL with a few years of coaching his position under his belt. The most he ever coached was 4 players and Bronco suddenly vaulted him to overseeing the entire offense.



No management experience. No playbook drawing experience. No ability to create and implement a game plan, let alone an entire self-sustaining, system or identity.



BYU isn't Weber State, Snow College, or USU. Coaches should have 5+ years experience at other colleges before even being considered for positions at BYU. A coaching position at BYU should be a destination, not a resume builder.
C
Cougarfan87
I voted Anae. Lest we forget, when he first started he did something I had not seen the previous two or three years...sustained 12, 13, or 14 play drives and score. That was a dark, dark time he came into and brought back some hope that BYU could become an offensive juggernaut again. But he hit a ceiling. We were not going to ever become more than what we were on offense. We had to go for someone who might have a higher ceiling.



Whether or not Brandon Doman is that person remains to be seen. Anae got six years. Doman is in year two. Anae had a great QB, WR, TEs, and solid RB--and a good Oline. Doman has a terrible Oline who can't block for his young talented RBs, can't protect an injured QB, who can't throw to his great recievers, or up and coming TE. Try to fix the Oline and give Doman one more chance. After that, it would be time to clean the slate before we waste another opportunity with a young talented QB. Also, Anae never had the defense Doman gets now, but he also did not face the talent that Doman will be facing next year.



So, for me, Anae has had better results (which is why he got my vote), but Doman may end up being the better OC if he can get things under control.
S
stuckinbig10country
If you are what your record says you are, then it's Doman. Through 17 games, Brandon has 4 more wins.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vancouvercougar
I vote for Doman. Anae had more coaching experence when he took over as OC, and he went 6-6 his first year. Brandon's first year was a 10 win season.
G
Gunk
vancouvercougar wrote:
I vote for Doman. Anae had more coaching experence when he took over as OC, and he went 6-6 his first year. Brandon's first year was a 10 win season.


Anae inherited a mess of a team.



Doman inherited a fully stocked team.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
It's not quite an apples to apples comparison right now. And, even if Anae ends up being proven as the better OC, it was still the right move to let him go.
S
SpiffCoug
How about some metrics? Through 17 games, here is how each OC was doing.



Points per Game

Anae: 32.4

Doman: 29.0



1st Downs per Game

Anae: 24.5

Doman: 23.2



Rush 1st Downs per Game

Anae: 8.9

Doman: 9.4



Pass 1st Downs per Game

Anae: 13.7

Doman: 12.0



Total Yards per Game

Anae: 454.9

Doman: 396.9



Rush Yards per Game

Anae: 141.4

Doman: 157.6



Pass Yards per Game

Anae: 313.5

Doman: 239.2



PER per Game (games below the standard)

Anae: 141.91 (7)

Doman: 127.08 (10)



Turnovers per Game

Anae: 1.5

Doman: 2.1



3rd Down %per Game

Anae: 45.0%

Doman: 49.6%



Games vs teams that won 7 or more games that year:

Anae: 8

Doman: 5 (of first 13 (don't know where the four 2012 opponents will finish).
4
49erCoug
Look at SpiffCoug pulling out the stats... According to those stats.. it is basically a wash.... what is frustrating to me... both with Anae and with Doman.. is to see a BYU offense struggle to move the ball.. when you get other teams (from all aspects of CFB) who throw the ball at will... is the BYU problem play calling? execution? both? do we not have the players (I don't really believe that one)...



And sorry Hawk... I am not sure how to vote in the poll.. (i know... that is weak)
G
Gunk
po_pocoug wrote:
Look at SpiffCoug pulling out the stats... According to those stats.. it is basically a wash.... what is frustrating to me... both with Anae and with Doman.. is to see a BYU offense struggle to move the ball.. when you get other teams (from all aspects of CFB) who throw the ball at will... is the BYU problem play calling? execution? both? do we not have the players (I don't really believe that one)...



And sorry Hawk... I am not sure how to vote in the poll.. (i know... that is weak)


A wash :skeptic:



Anae beats Doman in 8 of the 11 categories. How is that a wash?



More points, more yards, better PER, fewer turnovers against better competition under Anae.



Anae's offense produced 15% more yards/game than Doman's, including 74 more passing yards per game. Those extra 74 yards and fewer turnovers would have come in handy against BSU.



Sorry, an Anae offense beats a Doman offense any day of the week.



P.S. I was the biggest critic of Anae. I wanted to see him gone as much as anyone else, but ONLY if BYU replaced him with someone better. I was skeptical of Doman and told time and time again on this board not to worry because Doman was the one behind all of Anae's success. Pshhh....
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
Look at SpiffCoug pulling out the stats... According to those stats.. it is basically a wash.... what is frustrating to me... both with Anae and with Doman.. is to see a BYU offense struggle to move the ball.. when you get other teams (from all aspects of CFB) who throw the ball at will... is the BYU problem play calling? execution? both? do we not have the players (I don't really believe that one)...



And sorry Hawk... I am not sure how to vote in the poll.. (i know... that is weak)


A wash :skeptic:



Anae beats Doman in 8 of the 11 categories. How is that a wash?



More points, more yards, better PER, fewer turnovers against better competition under Anae.



Anae's offense produced 15% more yards/game than Doman's, including 74 more passing yards per game. Those extra 74 yards and fewer turnovers would have come in handy against BSU.



Sorry, an Anae offense beats a Doman offense any day of the week.



P.S. I was the biggest critic of Anae. I wanted to see him gone as much as anyone else, but ONLY if BYU replaced him with someone better. I was skeptical of Doman and told time and time again on this board not to worry because Doman was the one behind all of Anae's success. Pshhh....


....and fewer injured qb''s with less qb carouselling.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Anae had his share of QB issues but sorted through it and found the good ones.



The OP needs to clarify based on where this thread went



who is best at this moment- even though Anae is more experienced and may be at his ceiling



Who was best through 17 games- ignoring how much Anae improved Dust game 17



Or



Who will be the best eventually?



The answers are probably different.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.